Author Topic: Search for a new baseball coach  (Read 5727 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Search for a new baseball coach
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »
Steve Gillespie and YSU have mutually agreed to part ways. 14-38 this year, 61-153 career... The search is on.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Search for a new baseball coach
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
We need a new baseball coach, Gillespie managerial skills lacked a lot! I hope we get someone that can bring in some better pitching and have good managerial skills.   

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 01:44:39 PM »
Five years ago there were four Division I baseball programs in NE Ohio.  Today there are just two.  You would think that we would have naturally improved in that climate, especially since baseball scholarships are limited and many kids in DI programs must pay their own way.  In-state tuition should have made us attractive to Ohio players; instead this guy recruited heavily out of state.

I have no idea where we get the next coach.  Obviously, we cannot pay much.  On the other hand, the baseball program is totally secure since the Horizon League now mandates that schools play either baseball or soccer in addition to basketball.  Male soccer....not going to happen.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:04:48 PM »
We need a new baseball coach, Gillespie managerial skills lacked a lot! I hope we get someone that can bring in some better pitching and have good managerial skills.

Managerial skills?  This is baseball, I can manage a baseball team.  Recruiter?  Teacher?  Leader?  Those are the skills required, but manager is -0- importance.  Good grief, we play with a DH (no subs) and aluminum bats (no bunting).  Anybody can do that!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:30:47 PM »
Lots of talk on this one:

1. Everyone knew this was coming. He was great on paper, but did not convert to anything on the field.

2. He is probably a pretty good assistant in college and as a semi-pro HC, but he is not use to recruiting an entire team. Additionally as a pro coach ...he has a great deal of talent to choose from.

3. The loss of Antush never sat well with me. When he was here (and wanted) he was able to recruit great pitching talent ...most of it from Ohio and WPa. I am not certain everything of all that went on in Antush's leaving ...but I think the school would be smart to try and lock on to him right now & push for the new coach to keep him. In the mean time, he can recruit & costs us very little.

4. Word has it that Hollick at OSU is looking, but he played for Kent and may not consider YSU much of an opportunity. Also good assistants at SE Missouri and SIUe. Oakes and Peters could be nice pickups from Pitt. Would not surprise me if we stay in-house this time.

Do not rule out men's soccer ...that field was not built for only the lady Pens. A move to the MAC would just about force a men's program on us.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
IAA, your last comment mentions a move to the MAC? I would think we could start a mens soccer program without moving to the MAC. Besides, from previous discussions, aren't you against a move to the MAC? I also thought it was thoroughly debated on here that we could not financially afford a move to the MAC?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »
I am not against a move to the MAC, but I do not think it is practical. Additionally, I refuse to play a former rival without a return game ...especially when they come to YSU in every other sport. The new soccer stadium is a large investment & it is no coincidence that YSU campus Y2K came out about the time we were seriously considered for the MAC. I am very proud of Ron Strollo for what he has been able to do with facilities, especially during a bad turn in the economy, with local investment and matching funds.

YSU is more strategically in-place to attract a better class of students and student-athletes than ever before. We are becoming a campus that is an asset to ANY conference. We do not know how these conference shifts are going to end, or even if we will be involved; but I am happy with the way we are positioned for any potential move. I remember back in the 90's, when the MAC retracted their admission offer; all we heard was how SUNY-Buffalo had just invested  large sums of money on facilities to host the World Collegiate games and how happy the MAC was to have such "high-class" facilities. It was painful to hear about all of our flaws, but certainly a lesson well-learned by the administration. I think that was Strollo's senior season.

I have had the privilege to go to many campuses across this country. I have two nephews, one attends and the other graduated from NIU. That campus is nothing special. I have been to all of the Michigan schools in the MAC & they do not hold a candle to YSU. Ohio University & Miami? Nothing much in terms of facilities over YSU. Let's just say that if this were 1993 all over again, we could "call the MAC's bluff".