Author Topic: YSU Softball  (Read 3315 times)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
YSU Softball
« on: May 11, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
Lady Pens fall in opener (vs. lower-seed Valpo); now in the losers bracket vs. Green Bay ...playing back-to-back.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU Softball
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:14:13 PM »
Green Bay 3, Youngstown St. 5 (Final - 7 innings) YSU will play lowest remaining seed in loser's bracket tomorrow at 6 p.m. EDT

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »
1AA fan:

I hope the best for the YSU ladies! They have great hitting, but the teams that win ladies softball are the great pitching teams. So I see Wright St. with superior pitching as the winner and it's possible UCI may get lucky and win the Horizon championship.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »
Going into the tournament, Wright State had a team ERA of 2.21.  UIC had recorded 2.37.  We had a rather pathetic ERA of 4.60.  As Ole fan suggested, in softball strong pitching shuts down a potent offense nearly every time.

In the middle of the season, I had some hope that our pitchers were evolving.  There were more good games than bad.  But down the stretch, they were blasted by some weak hitting teams.  Giving up ten runs to weak hitting Valpo was disappointing but it really did not shock me.

Campbell can recruit and develop hitters.  No question about that.  But in his tenure, he has recruited exactly one high quality pitcher.  I believe that you get one full time assistant coach in softball.  Would it not make sense to use that position to bring in a pitching coach who can identify, recruit, and develop hurlers?  As we are presently constituted, we have no chance.