Author Topic: UNI playing Montana, when will we play a non conference game that matters?  (Read 14883 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
"If you want to be the best you have to beat the best"- Coach Jim Tressel

Easy to say when you coach OSU. This quote is from a coach that lost to just about every good I-AA team he ever played in the regular season. The NCAA imposed rules for sub-IAA games and nicknamed it "The Tressel Rule"... did not even try to cover that nickname up. One year prior, we had 2 PSAC clubs (I want to say the Rock and Lockhaven) and Carson-Newman on the same schedule. Carson Newman was superior to us. That could have been the year we played California(PA) and were outplayed in that game as well.

UNI always challenges for the MVFC & beats ISU ...that is why they can lose these real games and make the post-season. Then they beat a crappy Iowa State team and the selection committee unjustly awards them a bid. There should be no non-FCS/I-AA games allowed then I would be okay with playing a quality I-AA foe in the regular season. Instead the NCAA basically forces FCS schools to play a money-game and says nothing to the Big-10 when they refuse to play down.

You are quoting a man that dropped out fo the OVC because it was easier to get into the post-season as an independent, than beat MTSU and EKU. Look how much our other sports suffered in the process.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:33:50 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Fans want to tailgate and watch a game.

Fans...the ones that are left...want to win....and have meaningful wins over relevant opponents.

We know the outcome of having an OOC schedule full of partial scholly schools...and it's been a disaster.

Why, in all seriousness, would we continue this?

Just completely untrue. I want every team YSU plays to be undefeated when we play them and 10-1 at the end of the season; but then I got off my mother's breast. YSU fans want to go to the post-season ...win championships. Playing good teams in the OOC portion of your schedule is insane, until we see that we can advance into and within the post-season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Fans...the ones that are left...want to win....and have meaningful wins over relevant opponents.

We know the outcome of having an OOC schedule full of partial scholly schools...and it's been a disaster.

Just completely untrue. I want every team YSU plays to be undefeated when we play them and 10-1 at the end of the season; but then I got off my mother's breast. YSU fans want to go to the post-season ...win championships. Playing good teams in the OOC portion of your schedule is insane, until we see that we can advance into and within the post-season.

Generally, a team (or person, depending on the sport) plays up or down to the level of competition.  You get better playing stronger competition and weaker playing lightweights.

We would be better prepared going into conference play 1-2 after playing true 1AA or FBS programs, than what we have been doing, which is going into conference play 2-1, and largely under-prepared for MVFC competition.

Again, we have well over a decade of data of playing faux FCS programs.  We know beyond any doubt what the results are of this is.  It is madness to continue it.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The 2 years that we were on the bubble for playoffs with Wolf. You think maybe, just maybe instead of playing Duquesne or Youngstown East, if we played another respectable FCS opponent and won the game or even lost by a close score, we would have made it?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
The 2 years that we were on the bubble for playoffs with Wolf. You think maybe, just maybe instead of playing Duquesne or Youngstown East, if we played another respectable FCS opponent and won the game or even lost by a close score, we would have made it?

I think perhaps if we were not #4 in the conference and had lost to #1, #2, #3 and #9 we might have made the play-off. OOC strength had zero to with it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com

Generally, a team (or person, depending on the sport) plays up or down to the level of competition.  You get better playing stronger competition and weaker playing lightweights.

We would be better prepared going into conference play 1-2 after playing true 1AA or FBS programs, than what we have been doing, which is going into conference play 2-1, and largely under-prepared for MVFC competition.

Again, we have well over a decade of data of playing faux FCS programs.  We know beyond any doubt what the results are of this is.  It is madness to continue it.

Again, we are FAR too early to be doing that.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Look at the 2012 season, which started out beating a P5 school.  This historic win was followed up with two junk games, one of which we won 59-0.

After exposing our team to inferior competition, we went on to lose 4/5 of out first MVFC games.

After exposing our team to MVFC teams, we won our last 3 conference games.

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2012-13/schedule
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
If we make the PO with that away schedule this schedule and WVA on there.  I say that's a pretty good the program is on the way back to where we want it!  If not there will be a lot complaining about the schedule either way!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
"If you want to be the best you have to beat the best"- Coach Jim Tressel

Easy to say when you coach OSU. This quote is from a coach that lost to just about every good I-AA team he ever played in the regular season. The NCAA imposed rules for sub-IAA games and nicknamed it "The Tressel Rule"... did not even try to cover that nickname up. One year prior, we had 2 PSAC clubs (I want to say the Rock and Lockhaven) and Carson-Newman on the same schedule. Carson Newman was superior to us. That could have been the year we played California(PA) and were outplayed in that game as well.

UNI always challenges for the MVFC & beats ISU ...that is why they can lose these real games and make the post-season. Then they beat a crappy Iowa State team and the selection committee unjustly awards them a bid. There should be no non-FCS/I-AA games allowed then I would be okay with playing a quality I-AA foe in the regular season. Instead the NCAA basically forces FCS schools to play a money-game and says nothing to the Big-10 when they refuse to play down.

You are quoting a man that dropped out fo the OVC because it was easier to get into the post-season as an independent, then beat MTSU and EKU. Look how much our other sports suffered in the process.

To be fair, UNI has beaten Iowa State only twice. Most recently they beat them in 2013 and they did NOT make the playoffs.  They were 7-5 even with the win over Iowa State and like I said, did not make the playoffs.

Before that was 2007. UNI was undefeated until the postseason in 2007... so I'm not sure what the UNI unjustly makes the playoff due to beating Iowa state comment actually means.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
UNI has had some years where they had a bad record and made it, and you could argue it was "undeserved" I suppose. However, this is due to their tough out of conference schedule. Their strength of schedule and late season upward trending wins are what promotes that. If anything, it would support the argument in favor of YSU having a stronger OOC schedule (provided that YSU wins).

I know there are strong opinions on both sides of this argument here, and while I am in favor of a stronger OOC schedule, there is some merit to keeping the schedule as is. IAA, you are most certainly entitled to your opinion, and you may even be right.

But that being said, I would argue it is very hard to gain student interest in the weaker team games (with the exception of a home opener). I think a good compromise would be to play one weenie game, and maybe a game against a full scholarship FCS school. Or a MAC school, but there are other issues with that we've argued to death already.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Look at the 2012 season, which started out beating a P5 school.  This historic win was followed up with two junk games, one of which we won 59-0.

After exposing our team to inferior competition, we went on to lose 4/5 of out first MVFC games.

We beat a bad P5 team & a bad UNI team. You mentioned how we won 59-0 against that terrible OOC competition; yet somehow you forget to mention that we had to intercept a pass in the end-zone that could have won the game for Albany, that other poor partial (at that time non-scholarship team). We beat the three crap teams in the conference at the end, but lost to NDSU, ILS, ISU and SDSU ...all 4 teams made the post-season and finished 1, 2, 3, 4 in the conference.

In short, we were exposed by Albany and anyone else that was any good, would have beaten us, just like 4 of the next 5 teams did. There is no way to prove your point with facts, as they do not support your theory and they do not lie. I understand how playing good teams makes you improve more quickly, but again we are not there yet. At this point, we simply need as easy a schedule as possible and still make the post-season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

We beat a bad P5 team & a bad UNI team. You mentioned how we won 59-0 against that terrible OOC competition; yet somehow you forget to mention that we had to intercept a pass in the end-zone that could have won the game for Albany, that other poor partial (at that time non-scholarship team). We beat the three crap teams in the conference at the end, but lost to NDSU, ILS, ISU and SDSU ...all 4 teams made the post-season and finished 1, 2, 3, 4 in the conference.

In short, we were exposed by Albany and anyone else that was any good, would have beaten us, just like 4 of the next 5 teams did. There is no way to prove your point with facts, as they do not support your theory and they do not lie. I understand how playing good teams makes you improve more quickly, but again we are not there yet. At this point, we simply need as easy a schedule as possible and still make the post-season.

It wasn't Pitt's finest year, but two weeks later they beat Virginia Tech, went to a bowl game, and the QB from that game just was drafted.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I give Strollo credit for a more aggressive OOC MBB schedule.  With these stronger OOC opponents, we went from 2 to 6 HL wins without Bobby Hain playing a single minute against any HL opponent.  Maybe this translates to FB as well?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Well we do schedule much further ahead in FB than we do in MBB. Most of our $$ games in MBB are last-minute schedules to fill the other team's schedule needs. So it is possible that he has other teams in mind for FB. However, Strollo really has a lot less to do with scheduling (especially MBB) than we think. However, Strollo always sets the tone and negotiates as needed. For example, if our top priority is a $$ game or a home game, then he makes certain we get these.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:33:49 AM by IAA Fan »