Author Topic: UNI playing Montana, when will we play a non conference game that matters?  (Read 14890 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Sick and tired of partial scholarship games time to man up and play contenders from other conferences.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I just have to laugh at your remark ppower. Do we have to hash this a million times.  Need to  have home games for revenue and we would be glad to play meaningful games against teams if we could.......... but not if there is not a guarantee game back to us.  We have to have 7 home games.  Do you get it.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Fan interest.  Other teams do it why can't we?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Money talks.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
In most years, six is the maximum number of home games, as the eleven game schedule now includes a money game plus four league road games.  For many years, I called for buying a home game from a weak, money-strapped but full scholarship FCS conference, most notably the MEAC.  But honestly, those NEC teams that we play are actually now better than the awful MEAC (who removed themselves from the FCS playoffs anyway.)

There is a way to play an occasional home and home series with a quality FCS opponent, but you just can't do that every year.  On certain years, based upon the number of Saturdays that fall before Thanksgiving, FCS schools can play a twelve game schedule.  If you linked two of those years together, here is what could happen.

For year one of the twelve game schedule:

home: 4 league games, 1 junk game, 1 game against a CAA foe (say Villanova)
road: 4 league games, 1 money game, 1 game against a CAA foe (say Delaware)

For the second year of that cycle, we go to Villanova but Delaware comes to us.

Six home games each year but only one junk game and overall two quality nonconference opponents.  But of course in those twelve game years, Strollo opts to play seven home games, including three opponents that practically nobody wants to see.  Most unfortunate.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The junk games do not build depth as NEC teams do not expose weaknesses later exploited by MVFC teams.
The junk games do not build fan interest, in fact quite the contrary.
The junk games do not impress the playoff selection committee, in fact the opposite is true.
The junk games are a financial loser, as Kent is paying $325K to play 45 minutes away (I recall we make ~$200K in total revenue in a home game).

The junk games are just that...junk...and are a huge disservice to the YSU FB program.

The Wolf once even commented that he would like to play a more competitive OOC schedule.  We talk about playoffs, maybe even a move to the MAC...but are content playing 2/3 OOC games against partial scholly 1AAA programs?

One junk game is acceptable.  It may be the only game some players see the field, and it is fun to wail away on a feeble opponent.  Two is absurd.  Three in a 12 game season?  Scheduling malpractice and the creation of a knuckle-dragging doofus.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
I agree with power. Time to man up. If the budget is so fragile that one home game can make it or break it then it's time to drop a level. Also, YSU better be prepared to go on the road as they have no bargaining power until they are firmly back in the mix as a top team.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Wick ...now you want 2 games against play-off caliber teams. Buddy I am heading for 50 & I want to live long enough to see the play-off again. IN the mean time HOME games are what we want and the weakest schedule possible to make the post-season.

Fan interest? Guess what I have 100-times more interest in a team from Pittsburgh that I do ANY team out west. Why, I have a car to go see the return games ...not an airplane ticket. No one has ever heard of any Montana team, nor cares. No one has ever heard of RMU or Duquesne in football ...nor cares. So why not play the team that we can beat?

Again ...all the home games that we can get & the least difficult rout to the play-off ...that is what all fans want. You are talking about a school that has been to the I-AA play-off 8-times, has 6 title appearances & 4 titles; let's learn to crawl again before we walk or run. Who had weaker schedules than Jim Tressel? Who has more championships? Besides, there will is only 1 non-scholarship conference left and they are allowing partials.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Watch the away game on TV.  I want the competition and agree with Wick.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Oh and while we are dispelling beliefs. How are you preparing a team for the post-season when they go into conference play with 2 or 3 losses? They are going to lose their first MVFC game and then give up on the rest of the season because they now know that they have no chance for the post-season. They may even be out of the play-off hunt before league play even begins with a MAC school and two solid I-AA opponents. Again, crawl before walk & walk before run.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:47:49 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I don't know what disappoints me more: the failures on the field or the declining expectations from our fans.  How can anybody be AFRAID of the schedule that I proposed earlier in this thread.  The goal is NOT merely to return to the playoffs; the goal is to WIN more national championships. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I don't know what disappoints me more: the failures on the field or the declining expectations from our fans.  How can anybody be AFRAID of the schedule that I proposed earlier in this thread.  The goal is NOT merely to return to the playoffs; the goal is to WIN more national championships.

That is correct and it has been 8-years since we had a team that could do that and they did not even make the post-season because of a difficult schedule. The previous and following years were too weak. So let's just work our way up. Fans want to tailgate and watch a game.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
"If you want to be the best you have to beat the best"- Coach Jim Tressel

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Somehow Northern Iowa seems to play a difficult schedule and make the playoffs every year.....even when they are unranked late in the season and the pull of the needed number of wins to make it to the dance.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:22:02 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Fans want to tailgate and watch a game.

Fans...the ones that are left...want to win....and have meaningful wins over relevant opponents.

We know the outcome of having an OOC schedule full of partial scholly schools...and it's been a disaster.

Why, in all seriousness, would we continue this?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen