Author Topic: Penguins headed to the NFL  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Penguins headed to the NFL
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
I don't know what it is, but Oakland seems to love Penguins!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:43 AM »
With the Wolf there, and these being his recruits, I was wondering if SF would bite.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
I think Durden has a chance to stick. Congrats to both!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
I think Durden has a chance to stick. Congrats to both!

From today's The undrafted YSU players will try their luck with the Falcons and Raiders

By STEVE WILAJ

swilaj@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Terrell Williams has received the call he’s been waiting on.

Now, after signing an undrafted free agent contract with the Atlanta Falcons on Monday, the real test starts for the former Youngstown State defensive end.

“I’m very excited,” said Williams, a senior for the Penguins in 2015. “I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. So I’m just gonna go in and show them I can be one of their best players and contribute.”

Williams is one of two YSU players from last season’s team to sign with an NFL team. The other is cornerback Kenneth Durden, who signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Oakland Raiders on Sunday.

Williams, who will transition to linebacker at the next level, will head to Atlanta later this week for the Falcons’ rookie mini-camp that runs Thursday-Saturday.

“I feel like it’ll be a good fit,” Williams said. “I’m gonna go down there and give it all I got this weekend and hope for the best.”

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Williams notched 8 Ω sacks for YSU in 2014 while being named to the All-Missouri Valley Conference Second-Team. He had just 1 Ω sacks last season.

The McKeesport, Pa., native worked out mainly on his own following the 2015 campaign and impressed scouts with a 4.62-second 40-yard dash time at YSU’s Pro Day. He also recorded 31 bench-press reps of 225 pounds and a 361/2-inch vertical.

Williams said he had a few offers following the NFL Draft, which wrapped on Saturday, but ultimately decided on Atlanta.

“I had been in communication with the Falcons linebackers coach about a week and a half before the draft,” he said. “And he was in contact with me throughout the draft. But they only had five picks.”

Williams is still working towards his degree and can graduate in the summer with two more classes. He has continued to workout at YSU for the past month in leading up to this weekend’s all-important opportunity.

“I just have to basically fly around on special teams drills and any other drills and just compete as hard as I can,” Williams said. “Then hopefully I can stick around as long as possible.”

Durden was YSU’s top corner this past season, his only year of action with the Penguins.

He joined YSU in 2014 after transferring from the University of Southern Florida, where he was suspended from after being charged with felony marijuana possession following the 2013 season. USF didn’t comply with the transfer, causing Durden to miss the Penguins’ 2014 season.

However, in his return to the field, the 6-foot-1, 180-pounder had a strong season pacing a YSU secondary that finished amongst the top, statistically, in the entire FCS. He notched one interception while starting all 11 games.

The Raiders’ rookie mini-camp takes place from May 13-16.

- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/may/03/ex-penguins-williams-durden-ink-nfl-deal/?newswatch#sthash.MR70ls38.dpuf

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 07:25:33 PM »
Williams is trying out with the Browns this weekend
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »
Derek Rivers mentioned as a top 2017 NFL draft prospect from the FCS.

"Derek Rivers, DE, Youngstown State (6-4, 250) The athletic Rivers loves to study game film, so he reads offenses well. That prompted his Youngstown State coaches to move him around the field more often last season. Rivers’ ability to drop back into pass coverage and his size suggests he would be an outside linebacker at the next level. He’s made the All-Missouri Valley first team in each of the last two seasons and holds the school record for career sacks with 26. He has a trim body that should take on quality weight without losing speed."

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-fcs-2017-nfl-draft-prospects-watch

LeRoy Alexander should be in this list as well.