Author Topic: Men's basketball recruiting spring signing.  (Read 16323 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's basketball recruiting spring signing.
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
YSU has 9 on scholarship.  That means we have 4 openings.  Anyone have inside info of anyone that might be coming?   I saw a few names on verbal commits.com but nothing concrete.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's basketball recruiting spring signing.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 06:16:32 PM »
I see most everyone we offer is going some place other than YSU!!!!   I'm sure we'll pick up our two 5'6 shooting guards.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 02:15:26 PM »
Who cares, as long as Slocum is still here, its gonna be a revolving door year after year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 04:28:06 PM »
Most people do Chief.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 06:01:05 AM »
I care much Chief.  Your negative response is counter YSU.  You should support Akron........they have a winning basketball program and love fans who reside in the woodwork.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »
Chief says, "its gonna be a revolving door year after year."
Well, that's the nature of the game these days.  Look at any program, successful (IE OSU or Kentucky) or unsuccessful, and yes, it is a revolving door. 
All this "hating on the coach" is tiring and boring.  I'll tell you something about Coach Slocum.  He isn't perfect.  Somehow, I also suspect our coach hating bloggers aren't either.
You know, I am looking at a bunch of NFL Mock drafts and I find this inescapable fact.  The worst FBS coach is without a doubt Urban Meyer.  I see as many as 6 first round players and 3-4 second round players and he got killed by MSU, who has, what, maybe 1-2 second round players? 
My point is, lighten up and get behind the program, it should be FUN.  College athletics is great fun, IF YOU LET IT.  It can’t possibly be any fun for the hate mongers.  I guess I simply don’t understand.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
  I'll tell you something about Coach Slocum.  He isn't perfect.  Somehow, I also suspect our coach hating bloggers aren't either.

When I go to work, I bring my A game....every..single...time.  I wouldn't shame or embarrass myself or my employer by performing at any level below my maximum effort.  That attitude and ethic has served me well.

No one and no thing is perfect, so that's just a trite slogan.

Speaking only for myself, I have zero respect seeing mismanagement of something I care about (YSU).  Those that exert feeble efforts and get feeble results are worthy of wholesale scorn and mockery.

If you aren't going to adopt the "Excellence in all things" motto...than at least try...pretend you care....act like you've heard the word "passion" somewhere in your life....

I made note of the quote from moRon in the recent Vindy article where he said, "it was hard to expect much more."  That quote epitomizes the Strollo era and Strollo ethic.

Like I said, at the minimum...at least fake determination.....
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
  I'll tell you something about Coach Slocum.  He isn't perfect.  Somehow, I also suspect our coach hating bloggers aren't either.

When I go to work, I bring my A game....every..single...time.  I wouldn't shame or embarrass myself or my employer by performing at any level below my maximum effort.  That attitude and ethic has served me well.

No one and no thing is perfect, so that's just a trite slogan.

Speaking only for myself, I have zero respect seeing mismanagement of something I care about (YSU).  Those that exert feeble efforts and get feeble results are worthy of wholesale scorn and mockery.

If you aren't going to adopt the "Excellence in all things" motto...than at least try...pretend you care....act like you've heard the word "passion" somewhere in your life....

I made note of the quote from moRon in the recent Vindy article where he said, "it was hard to expect much more."  That quote epitomizes the Strollo era and Strollo ethic.

Like I said, at the minimum...at least fake determination.....
I'll bet you whatever you want that Strollo and Slocum say they attempt to bring their "A-Game" in everything they do.  You don't always accomplish that, neither do they, but they don't hate you and you DO hate them.  IMO, they deserve better than you!  All I'm going to say on this.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
If it is not obvious that renewing Slocum's contract is not an "A game", then it likely never will be.  The AD should at least try to succeed, rather than shrugging his shoulders and collecting a check.

If I were Bobby Hain, I'd be livid that my injury was used as an excuse for underachievement, and the rationale for extending Slocum's contract.  If anything, his injury exposed a lack of depth.

At least the Wolf and BP have passion.  I am able to offer some forgiveness for failure if at least there's an obvious and sincere earnestness to succeed.

When a YSU student gets a "C" on a test that they were capable of getting an "A" on, should they say, "well, that's the best I could hope for"?

Not only is there is not a winning attitude in MBB and the athletic department, I don't think they'd even recognize what a winning attitude looks like.

I mentioned in earlier posts what FAU does to involve students in the athletic programs, and there is nothing near that effort at YSU.

Like I said....at least try.....

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:41:13 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
"When a YSU student gets a "C" on a test that they were capable of getting an "A" on, should they say, "well, that's the best I could hope for"?"

Bringing you’re a game doesn’t always mean performing at an A level.  Even a chronic mediocre student like you should recognize that. 

But suppose he was a D student, and really busted his ass a got the C, then what?

You are trying to play at the same level as Kentucky and Duke in DOWNTOWN YOUNGSTOWN OHIO.  The "Worst Place to Live in Ohio" according to a reputable poll.   With a program that has been a losing program in a league without natural rivalries etc.   Frankly to hang in with community support like you and your kind provide, I think Slocum has done and admirable job.
“At least the Wolf and BP have passion”
Not sure how you determine that?  Certainly JT didn’t rant on the sideline, but nobody ever doubted his passion.  The extension to Slocum was from JT not Strollo, and don’t ever doubt that for a minute.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »
9 players transferring out of your program, Most after 1 year is a big, big problem. A problem that does not happen at very many successful programs. The revolving door for them is players leaving for professional basketball, because those programs are successful and win. Something this program doesn't seem to understand.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 04:16:36 PM »
Actually, the number of players leaving over coach S' tenure is not an alarming figure at all. Now 2-years ago (with so many at once), I would have liked some answers, but most was kept "behind closed doors" ...we need to learn to live with that. This is not Ohio State ...there is no media scrambling to cover YSU athletics, so if they are not told anything ...then so be it. I have my suspicions at what happened, but I am not losing sleep over the lack of confirmation from the Athletic Department.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »
And what would those suspicions be 1AA? Care to expound?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 11:09:39 PM »
Actually, the number of players leaving over coach S' tenure is not an alarming figure at all. Now 2-years ago (with so many at once), I would have liked some answers, but most was kept "behind closed doors" ...we need to learn to live with that. This is not Ohio State ...there is no media scrambling to cover YSU athletics, so if they are not told anything ...then so be it. I have my suspicions at what happened, but I am not losing sleep over the lack of confirmation from the Athletic Department.

And there in lies the problem. Athletic department not being held accountable for what is a decaying basketball program.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »
Commitment from Jeremiah Ferguson 6'2 pg...check out his video..
In some ways reminds me of Kyrie..we need 2 bigs now...missed out on the JC kid that went to Cleveland St