Author Topic: YSU vs WVU  (Read 87936 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs WVU
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
Optimistic is one thing, but from the comments on this board, you guys make it sound like we are playing a Division 3 school.  There is a reason we are a 25 point underdog.   The guys in Vegas making the line know what they are doing.

West Virginia manhandled Missouri, which is an SEC team.  We have yet to prove anything,  don't get too overly excited about beating a team from the NEC.

But, but , but they were a playoff team from last year....  ;)
4 Missouri conference teams play 4 Big Sky opponents this week..why?..Because it is the second best conference behind ours and there looking to get votes when playoff selection comes around..I'm keeping a close eye on the Bobby Morris and Duquesne game's this weekend
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:16:43 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2016, 08:07:09 PM »
Optimistic is one thing, but from the comments on this board, you guys make it sound like we are playing a Division 3 school.  There is a reason we are a 25 point underdog.   The guys in Vegas making the line know what they are doing.

West Virginia manhandled Missouri, which is an SEC team.  We have yet to prove anything,  don't get too overly excited about beating a team from the NEC.

And we were not a playoff team from last year
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »
Actually, do you know that Vegas gets its money from the juice and not setting the line right? Its based on what the aggregate votes on (so herd knowledge of the two teams should be accurate for predicting the outcome, or in this case setting a line based on where things are bet on). That's why lines move based on betting. So a line could originally open up at +9 for Team A and -9 for Team B and the day of the game finish at -2 for Team A and +2 for Team B (although this is an extreme example, it has happened).

If not enough people have information (or even in some cases more people with wrong information), bet alot on the line in a certain direction then the line will move that way regardless. Vegas makes money off of every bet through the built in juice. Not the line itself. That being said, you are right, there is a reason the majority of people have us losing by that big a spread. All I know is, I bet on us last year when I took us at -14.5 from Pitt. We covered  ;D

Now in all seriousness, we probably wont win, and we may get blown out. I just don't know. I'm going to be optimistic and say we play fairly competitively and somewhat close. After all, the MVFC played alot of other FBS teams from the Big 12 and did well and the SEC is low this year (7 teams losing in week 1? Most since... 1992 the year I was born)!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2016, 08:16:30 PM »

4 Missouri conference teams play 4 Big Sky opponents this week..why?..Because it is the second best conference behind ours and there looking to get votes when playoff selection comes around..I'm keeping a close eye on the Bobby Morris and Duquesne game's this weekend

The reason we schedule the teams that we schedule has been explained on this board many times. It is all about the money, until a bunch of folks donate enough money to override the demand/need for 6 home games nothing will change. Simple as that
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline pittsburghpenguin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
I saw on the WVU message board that we are playing them in 2018.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
I saw on the WVU message board that we are playing them in 2018.

Yep, Pitt next year and WVU in 2018.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2016, 02:28:50 PM »
I think these are make-ups ....we must have lost the Florida Atlantic game.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
Predictions ? Mine...

WVU- 28
YSU- 17

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »
chief, I think you have the score about right, but the teams are backward:
YSU 28- WVU 17
I just hope I don't get a bee sting in EpiPen Statium!  Bandits!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2016, 03:37:54 PM »
Predictions ? Mine...

WVU- 28
YSU- 17
I was told that the game will be broadcasted on cable TV in the Pittsburgh area. I plan to visit Pittsburgh to watch the game on TV with my son.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »
The game is on Root Sports. Same channel that carried the WVU press conference and Pirates games.  Anyone that has Armstrong can see the game on channel 179.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
For Time Warner in Youngstown, positions for that channel are 85, 307, or 1307. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »
For Time Warner in Youngstown, positions for that channel are 85, 307, or 1307.
Thanks. I just tried, I have channel 1307 in TWC and it worked.
Does anyone know why that information was not provided by the university or the Vindicator to the fans? Several years ago, when we played Penn State and Ohio State, it was widely reported that the game would be on the big ten network. I watched the games in a sports bar. I finally got the channel and was able to watch the MSU and Illinois games.

Thanks again, Wick.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2016, 05:24:15 PM »
I just cant see this offense with another 400 plus yards and 30 point game the way they did against Pitt last year even though both defense's are about equal in terms of talent and depth 27-13 W.V.U.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2016, 08:05:04 PM »
Double ET, its on Root Sports Pittsburgh. I thought it was in the press releases, but I know I saw it on the WVU sides of the press releases on game information, if it isn't on the YSU side.