Author Topic: Spring Game  (Read 38764 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Game
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 08:37:19 AM »
penguinpower
"Keep in mind Wentz and the back-up rarely made incredible throws."
Because you say it's so, doesn't make it so.  You think the NFL is so interested in Wentz at #1 overall becuase he rarely made an incredable throw and just tucked and ran?  Don't write stupid stuff, it detracts from some of your better comments.

"However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him."
I disagree.  Somebody needs to lead!

IMO, you and everyone on this blog misses the point.  Sometimes somebody has to step up and make a play.  This team, and for all the Wolford years, now into Pelini's tenure there has had a dearth of playmakers.  Although our defense looks stout, we need some playmakers on O to beat the good teams.  At NDSU, Brock Jensen made plays, Wentz made plays, Stick makes plays, and in similar situations we seem to shrink into the background.  I think Wells has plenty of talent, but I think Hosick is here to make plays under pressure.  Wells has never done it, Davis has never done it.  Let's hope somebody steps up on offense to be a difference maker.
It's always easy to blame the coach, but perfectly executed almost every play can score a TD.   Sometimes you just don't have championship talent.

The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage.  You make no sense to me.  You have a superficial view of the sport with some of your statements.  The QB's you mention would be nothing if they didn't have protection and a solid run game to lean on.  Your fixation is as bad as ESPN's sensationalism with one player on each team.
So we get way ahead of NDSU at YSU last year and all of the sudden the OL got bad?  All of the sudden the coach got bad?  We have consistently failed to make plays in the 4th quarter for the last few seasons and always the OL and coach go away in the 4th quarter?  Or, perhaps we failed in the on-the-field leadership and play making?  Seems most of the blog is composed of "the coaching killed us" and don't want to examine ways to get better other than "fire the damn coach".

Wentz was climbing up mock draft boards BEFORE the combine, mostly on Browns interest.  And because you say "The QB's you mention would be nothing if they didn't have protection and a solid run game to lean on. "
again, doesn't make is so.  Look at what Jensen has done in Canada without the NDSU OL and Wentz's proformance at the combine was obviously sans OL at all.  My point it these are PLAYMAKERS, Wells is not.  I hope Hosick is. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
penguinpower
"Keep in mind Wentz and the back-up rarely made incredible throws."
Because you say it's so, doesn't make it so.  You think the NFL is so interested in Wentz at #1 overall becuase he rarely made an incredable throw and just tucked and ran?  Don't write stupid stuff, it detracts from some of your better comments.

"However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him."
I disagree.  Somebody needs to lead!

IMO, you and everyone on this blog misses the point.  Sometimes somebody has to step up and make a play.  This team, and for all the Wolford years, now into Pelini's tenure there has had a dearth of playmakers.  Although our defense looks stout, we need some playmakers on O to beat the good teams.  At NDSU, Brock Jensen made plays, Wentz made plays, Stick makes plays, and in similar situations we seem to shrink into the background.  I think Wells has plenty of talent, but I think Hosick is here to make plays under pressure.  Wells has never done it, Davis has never done it.  Let's hope somebody steps up on offense to be a difference maker.
It's always easy to blame the coach, but perfectly executed almost every play can score a TD.   Sometimes you just don't have championship talent.

The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage.  You make no sense to me.  You have a superficial view of the sport with some of your statements.  The QB's you mention would be nothing if they didn't have protection and a solid run game to lean on.  Your fixation is as bad as ESPN's sensationalism with one player on each team.
So we get way ahead of NDSU at YSU last year and all of the sudden the OL got bad?  All of the sudden the coach got bad?  We have consistently failed to make plays in the 4th quarter for the last few seasons and always the OL and coach go away in the 4th quarter?  Or, perhaps we failed in the on-the-field leadership and play making?  Seems most of the blog is composed of "the coaching killed us" and don't want to examine ways to get better other than "fire the damn coach".

Wentz was climbing up mock draft boards BEFORE the combine, mostly on Browns interest.  And because you say "The QB's you mention would be nothing if they didn't have protection and a solid run game to lean on. "
again, doesn't make is so.  Look at what Jensen has done in Canada without the NDSU OL and Wentz's proformance at the combine was obviously sans OL at all.  My point it these are PLAYMAKERS, Wells is not.  I hope Hosick is.

Look at the 4th quarter rushing statistics from the game against NDSU last year.  Matter of fact look at 3rd and 4th quarter.  We started to fade about 6 min left in the 3rd quarter.

Look at the offensive series starting at 5:13 in the 3rd quarter.  Keep in mind the defense gave up a FG, and Punt, and Punt, and then a TD.  TOP in the 4th quarter possession times :  1:01, 0.59, and 2:18.  We needed to run the ball and kill the clock and we could not do it.  The QB was running for his life because we could not block.  Total TOP of the entire second half was only 11:46.  No wonder why the defense gave up so many plays........they were on the field way more than they should have been because we could not run the ball consistently in the second half.

Here is the play by play starting at the 5:13 mark of the 3rd quarter.

o   1st and 10 at YSU 34
(5:13 - 3rd) Ricky Davis run for 11 yds to the YngSt 45 YOUNGSTOWN ST Penalty, Offensive holding (Kevin Rader) to the YngSt 35
o   1st and 9 at YSU 35
(5:13 - 3rd) Martin Ruiz run for no gain to the YngSt 35
o   2nd and 9 at YSU 35
(5:13 - 3rd) Martin Ruiz run for 16 yds to the NDkSt 49 for a 1ST down
o   1st and 10 at NDSU 49
(5:13 - 3rd) Ricky Davis run for 1 yd to the NDkSt 48
o   2nd and 9 at NDSU 48
(5:13 - 3rd) Demond Hymes run for 21 yds to the NDkSt 27 for a 1ST down
o   (2:14 - 3rd) Timeout YOUNGSTOWN ST, clock 02:14
o   1st and 10 at NDSU 27
(2:14 - 3rd) Ricky Davis run for a loss of 1 yard to the NDkSt 28
o   2nd and 11 at NDSU 28
(2:14 - 3rd) Jody Webb run for 1 yd to the NDkSt 27
o   3rd and 10 at NDSU 27
(2:14 - 3rd) Hunter Wells pass incomplete to Andre Stubbs
o   4th and 10 at NDSU 27
(0:39 - 3rd) Zak Kennedy 44 yd FG GOOD

Next Series:
o   (14:22 - 4th) Ben LeCompte kickoff for 64 yds , Jody Webb return for 13 yds to the YngSt 14
o   1st and 10 at YSU 14
(14:18 - 4th) Hunter Wells pass incomplete to Andrew Williams, broken up by Cj Smith
o   2nd and 10 at YSU 14
(14:18 - 4th) Martin Ruiz run for 4 yds to the YngSt 18
o   3rd and 6 at YSU 18
(14:18 - 4th) Ricky Davis pass incomplete to Andre Stubbs
o   4th and 6 at YSU 18
(14:18 - 4th) Nick Sheely punt for 24 yds, punt out-of-bounds at the YngSt 42

Next Series:

o   (9:57 - 4th) Ben LeCompte kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback
o   1st and 10 at YSU 25
(9:57 - 4th) Martin Ruiz run for no gain to the YngSt 25
o   2nd and 10 at YSU 25
(9:57 - 4th) Hunter Wells pass incomplete to Martin Ruiz
o   3rd and 10 at YSU 25
(9:57 - 4th) Hunter Wells pass incomplete to I'tavious Harvin
o   4th and 10 at YSU 25
(9:57 - 4th) Nick Sheely punt for 35 yds, downed at the NDkSt 40

Next Series:
o   1st and 10 at YSU 14
(7:44 - 4th) Ricky Davis run for 3 yds to the YngSt 17
o   2nd and 7 at YSU 17
(7:44 - 4th) Ricky Davis run for 4 yds to the YngSt 21
o   3rd and 3 at YSU 21
(7:44 - 4th) Jody Webb run for a loss of 5 yards to the YngSt 16
o   4th and 8 at YSU 16
(7:44 - 4th) Nick Sheely punt for 38 yds, downed at the NDkSt 46

This is not a QB problem as much as it is a OL problem.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:36:40 PM by penguinpower »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2016, 03:13:09 PM »
penguinpower: Very nice job of making my point for me.  I see (and saw live at the time) nothing but imcomplete passes.  When somebody needed to step up and make a play, nobody did.  Wells was O-fer as was Wells. 
What did Stick do in the second half after a dismail first half?

Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu32   NORTH DAKOTA STATE drive start at 14:53.
Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu32   King Frazier rush for 9 yards to the NDSU41 (Alexander, L.).
Ndsu   2-   at Ndsu41   Bruce Anderson rush for 3 yards to the NDSU44, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Rivers, Derek;Thompson, Eric).
Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu44   Easton Stick rush for 9 yards to the YSU47, out-of-bounds (Rivers, Derek).
Ndsu   2-   at Ysu47   Easton Stick pass complete to RJ Urzendowski for 41 yards to the YSU6, 1ST DOWN NDSU.
Ndsu   1-   at Ysu06   King Frazier rush for 3 yards to the YSU3 (Smith, Jameel;Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   2-   at Ysu03   Easton Stick rush for 2 yards to the YSU1 (Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   3-   at Ysu01   Easton Stick rush for no gain to the YSU1 (Rivers, Derek).
Ndsu   4-   at Ysu01   Easton Stick rush for 1 yard to the YSU0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 10:40.

Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu46   NORTH DAKOTA STATE drive start at 05:26.
Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu46   King Frazier rush for 7 yards to the YSU47 (Alexander, L.;Smith, Jameel).
Ndsu   2-3   at Ysu47   Bruce Anderson rush for 4 yards to the YSU43, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Alexander, L.;Dortch, Nate).
Ndsu   1-   at Ysu43   Easton Stick pass incomplete to RJ Urzendowski.
Ndsu   2-   at Ysu43   King Frazier rush for 1 yard to the YSU42 (Wright, Lee;Zaborsky, Steve).
Ndsu   3-9   at Ysu42   Easton Stick pass complete to Jeff Illies for 17 yards to the YSU25, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Wright, Lee).
Ndsu   1-   at Ysu25   Bruce Anderson rush for 3 yards to the YSU22 (Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   2-7   at Ysu22   King Frazier rush for 4 yards to the YSU18 (Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   3-3   at Ysu18   Easton Stick pass incomplete to Nate Moody (Durden, Kenneth), PENALTY YSU pass interference (Durden, Kenneth) 12 yards to the YSU6, 1ST DOWN NDSU, NO PLAY.
Ndsu   1-G   at Ysu06   King Frazier rush for 2 yards to the YSU4 (Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   2-G   at Ysu04   Easton Stick rush for 4 yards to the YSU0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:35.

I agree it doesn't all hang on the QB, but he is the leader of the offence and sometimes he just needs to step up and make plays to win a game.  Stick did, Wells (and to some extent Davis) DID NOT.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »
After alot of consideration, I think the "wait till Fall camp to worry" group is right. Realizing it is pretty hard to have perfectly accurate idea of where our line is at due to injuries. Same can be said due to WR injuries. Although, as a unit, it seems like only a small few will make an impact (my thoughts anyways).

I know we can look at last year too regarding oline, but while I am concerned, Wick and others have brought up a valid point that we don't have a good idea of this year for sure. So, I will wait to give judgement until Fall. I am hoping my opinion changes then too. In any case, Football season can't come any quicker!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
After alot of consideration, I think the "wait till Fall camp to worry" group is right. Realizing it is pretty hard to have perfectly accurate idea of where our line is at due to injuries. Same can be said due to WR injuries. Although, as a unit, it seems like only a small few will make an impact (my thoughts anyways).

I know we can look at last year too regarding oline, but while I am concerned, Wick and others have brought up a valid point that we don't have a good idea of this year for sure. So, I will wait to give judgement until Fall. I am hoping my opinion changes then too. In any case, Football season can't come any quicker!

I agree that we need to wait till fall.  My point is that the QB is not the only answer.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
penguinpower: Very nice job of making my point for me.  I see (and saw live at the time) nothing but imcomplete passes.  When somebody needed to step up and make a play, nobody did.  Wells was O-fer as was Wells. 
What did Stick do in the second half after a dismail first half?

Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu32   NORTH DAKOTA STATE drive start at 14:53.
Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu32   King Frazier rush for 9 yards to the NDSU41 (Alexander, L.).
Ndsu   2-   at Ndsu41   Bruce Anderson rush for 3 yards to the NDSU44, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Rivers, Derek;Thompson, Eric).
Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu44   Easton Stick rush for 9 yards to the YSU47, out-of-bounds (Rivers, Derek).
Ndsu   2-   at Ysu47   Easton Stick pass complete to RJ Urzendowski for 41 yards to the YSU6, 1ST DOWN NDSU.
Ndsu   1-   at Ysu06   King Frazier rush for 3 yards to the YSU3 (Smith, Jameel;Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   2-   at Ysu03   Easton Stick rush for 2 yards to the YSU1 (Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   3-   at Ysu01   Easton Stick rush for no gain to the YSU1 (Rivers, Derek).
Ndsu   4-   at Ysu01   Easton Stick rush for 1 yard to the YSU0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 10:40.

Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu46   NORTH DAKOTA STATE drive start at 05:26.
Ndsu   1-   at Ndsu46   King Frazier rush for 7 yards to the YSU47 (Alexander, L.;Smith, Jameel).
Ndsu   2-3   at Ysu47   Bruce Anderson rush for 4 yards to the YSU43, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Alexander, L.;Dortch, Nate).
Ndsu   1-   at Ysu43   Easton Stick pass incomplete to RJ Urzendowski.
Ndsu   2-   at Ysu43   King Frazier rush for 1 yard to the YSU42 (Wright, Lee;Zaborsky, Steve).
Ndsu   3-9   at Ysu42   Easton Stick pass complete to Jeff Illies for 17 yards to the YSU25, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Wright, Lee).
Ndsu   1-   at Ysu25   Bruce Anderson rush for 3 yards to the YSU22 (Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   2-7   at Ysu22   King Frazier rush for 4 yards to the YSU18 (Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   3-3   at Ysu18   Easton Stick pass incomplete to Nate Moody (Durden, Kenneth), PENALTY YSU pass interference (Durden, Kenneth) 12 yards to the YSU6, 1ST DOWN NDSU, NO PLAY.
Ndsu   1-G   at Ysu06   King Frazier rush for 2 yards to the YSU4 (Dellovade, A.).
Ndsu   2-G   at Ysu04   Easton Stick rush for 4 yards to the YSU0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:35.

I agree it doesn't all hang on the QB, but he is the leader of the offence and sometimes he just needs to step up and make plays to win a game.  Stick did, Wells (and to some extent Davis) DID NOT.

When the QB is running for his life it is expected that he doesn't complete the passes.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 08:47:33 PM »
Pelini when questioned all season has Has said in his Coaches code that it wasn't always the QB. From game one when Pitt manhandlec our center this board even mentioned how we needed to get better on the line.  Add in all the drops and execution at times I am surprised we did what we did.  We also seem to forget that Ruiz wasn't always 100 percent healthy.  If I was Pelini I would look for o line transfers and another wideout or tight end that can catch the ball. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 09:30:43 AM »
"When the QB is running for his life it is expected that he doesn't complete the passes."
Yes, but again, in the heat of the 4th quarter, sometimes you need the QB to step up and make a play.

"Pelini when questioned all season has Has said in his Coaches code that it wasn't always the QB."
Two points: 1 wasn't always the QB, is clearly saying that a number of times it WAS the QB,  2. What did you expect a head coach to say "our QB folded like a cheap suit in the 4th QTR."  The HC needs to stand behind his players. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2016, 11:39:36 AM »
Heard Powell was suspended.

Thanks for the update, although not what I wanted to hear.    Hopefully they get it worked out by fall camp.  I expect him to make an impact this season.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2016, 10:35:47 PM »
Put Davis and Hosick in some of the same situations last season as Wells and they wouldn't have performed any better. How many times did we have a negative rushing attempt on first down and then another carry for know gain and then put Wells in a 3rd and 13 situation. Unfortunately quarterbacks can't catch the ball for the receivers. How much better do you want him to throw it to #9 in the NDS game? That was game set match. Sure his mechanics slipped up from his freshman year. Factor in all of the drops and his numbers probably would've been better then his freshman year. My point is this if you don't have a line, backs that can run up the middle, or a group of receivers who can catch the ball on a regular basis it really doesn't matter who your quarterback is and if he's mobile or not. If we have these same 3 problem area's in 2016 you will see what I mean

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2016, 05:31:37 AM »
Put Davis and Hosick in some of the same situations last season as Wells and they wouldn't have performed any better. How many times did we have a negative rushing attempt on first down and then another carry for know gain and then put Wells in a 3rd and 13 situation. Unfortunately quarterbacks can't catch the ball for the receivers. How much better do you want him to throw it to #9 in the NDS game? That was game set match. Sure his mechanics slipped up from his freshman year. Factor in all of the drops and his numbers probably would've been better then his freshman year. My point is this if you don't have a line, backs that can run up the middle, or a group of receivers who can catch the ball on a regular basis it really doesn't matter who your quarterback is and if he's mobile or not. If we have these same 3 problem area's in 2016 you will see what I mean

+1

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2016, 07:02:36 AM »
One more example is the Southern Illinois game. I believe Wells had 20 completions for 324 yards and 3 scores and wasn't sacked. Then again it's all the fault of Montgomery and Wells for giving up a eleven point lead with a couple minutes to go. Good things do happen when you play good around your quarterback.  Bo's comments were accurate throughout the season and it had nothing to do with trying to protect anyone player. These two games that I'm referring to put you at a 7-4 mark and playoff bound. Obviously quarterback isn't our only problem ☺

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »
One more example is the Southern Illinois game. I believe Wells had 20 completions for 324 yards and 3 scores and wasn't sacked. Then again it's all the fault of Montgomery and Wells for giving up a eleven point lead with a couple minutes to go. Good things do happen when you play good around your quarterback.  Bo's comments were accurate throughout the season and it had nothing to do with trying to protect anyone player. These two games that I'm referring to put you at a 7-4 mark and playoff bound. Obviously quarterback isn't our only problem ☺

Couldn't agree more

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2016, 08:57:33 AM »
"Put Davis and Hosick in some of the same situations last season as Wells and they wouldn't have performed any better."
As I have said many times recently on this blog, because you say it doesn't make it so.  How in the hell do you know what Hosick, or even Davis" so in a similar situation?  You are saying that bacause Weeden couldn't move the Browns for a couple years that NO QB could have done any better?  Seriously.  You don't know WHAT Hosick is capable of. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »
"Put Davis and Hosick in some of the same situations last season as Wells and they wouldn't have performed any better."
As I have said many times recently on this blog, because you say it doesn't make it so.  How in the hell do you know what Hosick, or even Davis" so in a similar situation?  You are saying that bacause Weeden couldn't move the Browns for a couple years that NO QB could have done any better?  Seriously.  You don't know WHAT Hosick is capable of.

You aren't serious are you?  I don't want to take the fodder but answer this:  Why was Trent Richardson so good at Alabama but no good in the NFL?