Author Topic: John Barnes- Kent State  (Read 14660 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: John Barnes- Kent State
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »
Who is praising the AD? The only thing going in is you and your buddy are trashing our coaches and AD's.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »
Great news!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
Well look at this: "@Chad426: I've learned that John Barnes will not be leaving Youngstown State for Kent State, and will remain the Penguins WBB Head Coach." Kudos to Ron Strollo and to the administration for keeping him in Youngstown.

Praise the AD because a HC didn't break a contract?  That's where the level of expectations are?
You call him a "moRon" because Kent State looked destined to hire him as various media reports stated he was their #1 choice. Then today we find out Coach Barnes opted to turn down a pretty decent pay raise and stick with YSU. If you don't think Strollo and the administration had something to do with Barnes staying then your blinders are worse than I had originally thought. Clearly no matter the outcome of this situation, you were going to come on here and rip on "moRon".

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 02:46:49 PM »
Well look at this: "@Chad426: I've learned that John Barnes will not be leaving Youngstown State for Kent State, and will remain the Penguins WBB Head Coach." Kudos to Ron Strollo and to the administration for keeping him in Youngstown.

Praise the AD because a HC didn't break a contract?  That's where the level of expectations are?
You call him a "moRon" because Kent State looked destined to hire him as various media reports stated he was their #1 choice. Then today we find out Coach Barnes opted to turn down a pretty decent pay raise and stick with YSU. If you don't think Strollo and the administration had something to do with Barnes staying then your blinders are worse than I had originally thought. Clearly no matter the outcome of this situation, you were going to come on here and rip on "moRon".

My expectation is that talented and high achieving people will upgrade.  Never once did I criticize anyone, including the AD, when Bolden left.  I would say the hires of Bolden and Barnes of two of the AD's greatest achievements.  Unfortunately, these achievements are enormously overshadowed by his destruction of a legendary FB program and wholesale mismanagement of MBB.

So whether Barnes stayed or left, the AD was off the hook, IMO...unless he replaced him with a Slocum/Heacock clone.  Frankly, I thought Barnes was destined for better than Can't.

If you want to praise the AD (who just renewed Slocum's contract) because a WBB HC didn't leave prematurely, then that just comes across as desperate cheerleading and enabling.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
This afternoon's information, if true, is most welcome.  This episode just did not make much sense to me.  When Barnes replaced Boldon, we were coming off a WNIT appearance.  Brandi Brown graduated but he inherited Heidi Schegel, not a bad building block.  On the other hand, Kent is currently one of the worst DI programs in the country, a formerly quality team just annihilated by their just fired coach.  Barnes would have inherited nothing there and could have jeopardized his career.  Making more money becomes pointless if you get fired yourself in about three years because you could not clean up the mess.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 06:31:28 PM »
TV 21 just reported on the evening news that Barnes is indeed staying.  Even had a brief interview with Tressel who stated that he is pleased.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »
Yea!!! It's a win win!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
TV 21 just reported on the evening news that Barnes is indeed staying.  Even had a brief interview with Tressel who stated that he is pleased.

John Barnes is a class act.