Author Topic: Can We Finally Forget About the MAC?  (Read 23644 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Can We Finally Forget About the MAC?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »
The only thing that I would like to point out is that the MAC schools cannot possibly keep up spending at the current rates.  Big changes are ahead and the budgets will more closely resemble YSU's current levels for most of them.  Akron ins financing ticket sales for football.  Unbelievable.  This is not sustainable.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »
I would need to see the figures on what YSU makes per home game Nation. With a solid team, we are going to make:

1. 20k x $10 = $200k in ticket sales (although with give-a ways $8 may be more accurate).
2. 1/6th (assuming a 6 home game season) of our loge revenues has to be around $100k.
3. Tailgating with even a modest team sells out all of the upper lot, 1/2 the lower lot & half of the lower walk-up parking outside of M7. There are no discounts on tailgating, so this is about 600-750 cars at $20 each = so at least $120k (assumong lower lot is cheaper ans the parking across Lincoln is only $5).
4. Banners are $1k per game & large banners are $10k per game (don't quote me on those large banners, they may only be $5k) but there are about 12 of them + other miscellaneous revenues (concessions, memorabilia, 50/50, etc.) are worth a couple of grand at least. This is at least $50k (even assuming I overstated the cost on large banners).

I say we are always better off taking the light-weight home game if we are not going to get major conference $$$ of at least $380k to $400k.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:05:56 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »
I heard total revenue for a home game is ~$200K.  How accurate that is IDK.  Can't is paying Kennesaw St $325K from what I recall.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 07:26:15 PM »
If we were in the MAC for the argument

We would be able to play 2 B1G road games each year (estimated revenue, 750k each)
We are forced to play atleast 2 home games (pay 1-aa school $350k and 1-a school 450k to play at YSU)

So by playing the B1G schools you net 700k yearly for your athletic budget in non conference schedules which isnt enough to justify the increased spending needed for the MAC

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 04:33:42 AM »
I would need to see the figures on what YSU makes per home game Nation. With a solid team, we are going to make:

1. 20k x $10 = $200k in ticket sales (although with give-a ways $8 may be more accurate).
2. 1/6th (assuming a 6 home game season) of our loge revenues has to be around $100k.
3. Tailgating with even a modest team sells out all of the upper lot, 1/2 the lower lot & half of the lower walk-up parking outside of M7. There are no discounts on tailgating, so this is about 600-750 cars at $20 each = so at least $120k (assumong lower lot is cheaper ans the parking across Lincoln is only $5).
4. Banners are $1k per game & large banners are $10k per game (don't quote me on those large banners, they may only be $5k) but there are about 12 of them + other miscellaneous revenues (concessions, memorabilia, 50/50, etc.) are worth a couple of grand at least. This is at least $50k (even assuming I overstated the cost on large banners).

I say we are always better off taking the light-weight home game if we are not going to get major conference $$$ of at least $380k to $400k.

I want to see no part of a light weight team on the schedule.  I don't want to watch the games, it doesn't help our case with playoff seeding, it can foster complacency with regard to preparation for games, it is simply uncompetitive to watch, hurts attendance, pads the record to make things look better than they are, (did I mention fan interest?), and is un-American.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
It's going to be an interesting next couple of years.  I don't see how the MAC stays in its current form for much longer.  I think the league should split.  NIU and Toledo join C-USA, and everyone else move to the FCS. The MVFC itself may lose some schools to the FBS (NDSU, UNI, and maybe SDSU), and the financially troubled IL schools may suspend their programs or drop to D2.  A hybrid scenario would be replacing the most troubled MAC schools with the top MVFC schools, although I think the MAC likes being a "commute by bus" conference.

$52M lost in two years...staggering

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/04/20/terry-foster-eastern-michigan-analyzing-football-program-after-athletic-department-lost-52-million-over-the-last-two-years/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »

I want to see no part of a light weight team on the schedule.  I don't want to watch the games, it doesn't help our case with playoff seeding, it can foster complacency with regard to preparation for games, it is simply uncompetitive to watch, hurts attendance, pads the record to make things look better than they are, (did I mention fan interest?), and is un-American.

You make a good point power, but there is far more interest in any home game over an away game ...at least in terms of attendance. I will take as many home games as I can get!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »
I just quickly glanced at the final list of the NFL draft, although I care virtually nothing about professional football.  The MVFC had three players drafted (2 NDSU, 1 UNI.)  The omni-powerful MAC had four, if you count one from Massachusetts who left. 

ytowngirl

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 03:26:33 PM »
I just quickly glanced at the final list of the NFL draft, although I care virtually nothing about professional football.  The MVFC had three players drafted (2 NDSU, 1 UNI.)  The omni-powerful MAC had four, if you count one from Massachusetts who left.

The MAC had 6 picks. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »

The MAC had 6 picks.

MVFC:3  (UNI 1, NDSU 2)
MAC: 5   (WMU 2, Akr 1, CMU 1, EMU 1)

and the MAC is bigger by 2 teams....for now....

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 05:26:45 PM »
Why all the hate for the MAC? Lol!  They are DIV 1. Big time football BCS that is the perception from the average fan not the 10 of us on here.  It is what is.  If the Bison haven't done so well our FCS league would be ranked much lower.  Talking about what league is stronger means sh** when we have not won it in what a decade.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »
Why all the hate for the MAC? Lol! 

Because it's always a good time making fun of pretenders who max their credit cards and spend their rent money trying to appear like they're from the other side of the tracks.  In a few years they'll be so busted financially they may not afford to compete in FCS football.  I wish we would play 'em so we could wail away on 'em.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »
The MAC has been extremely successful in recruiting players that go into the NFL. The conference's issue is their lack of top-to-bottom good teams. You know, the kind where your impact players usually do not make the NFL, but may see a tryout at best ... but play their hearts out. Not sure how old this list is, but former MAC players in the NFL:

Akron: 6
Ball State: 7
BGSU: 8
SUNY-Buffalo: 4
CMU: 9
EMU: 8
Kent: 5
Miami: 10
NIU: 12
Ohio: 3
Toledo: 10
WMU: 5
-------------------------------
Marshall: 18
CFU: 15
Temple:11 (not sure how this relates to time in conference).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:52:23 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 07:07:54 PM »
The MAC has been extremely successful in recruiting players that go into the NFL. The conference's issue is their lack of top-to-bottom good teams. You know, the kind where your impact players usually do not make the NFL, but may see a tryout at best ... but play their hearts out. Not sure how old this list is, but former MAC players in the NFL:

Akron: 6
Ball State: 7
BGSU: 8
SUNY-Buffalo: 4
CMU: 9
EMU: 8
Kent: 5
Miami: 10
NIU: 12
Ohio: 3
Toledo: 10
WMU: 5
-------------------------------
Marshall: 18
CFU: 15
Temple:11 (not sure how this relates to time in conference).
Thanks for sharing Fan this is really amazing when you think about it. Please keep us informed on any free agent signings for the penguins. Even tho a long shot I like kenneth Durden and Terrell Williams chances if given the opportunity in the right system
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:09:40 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 06:36:06 AM »
Perceptive as always fever. Durden was signed as an undrafted free agent to the raiders.