Author Topic: Who is gone?  (Read 33253 times)

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Who is gone?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »
Why would we try to make the NBA tornament?! You can't be serious ?! One game in the tourney would net us more $$ than any TCS championship ...and I agree...you don't need to triple our MLB coach's salary to do it..it's just finding the right coach to recruit and keep players for 4 years so they can imprive

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »
Spell check stinks...of course I meant the NCAA's and FCS not TCS

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 02:19:36 PM »
There was a great thread on an HL forum years ago, and it in detail explained the vastly better ROI on MBB than FB.  FB is much more costly than MBB, and yields much less in return, even if successful.  It would be interesting to see UNI's and NDSU's comparative ROIs on FB and MBB...as both have had success in each.

I'm not saying we reduce the investment in FB, but rather emphasizing the horrible mismanagement of MBB from a financial perspective.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »
My point exactly...basketball can be a money maker...football relies on one $$$$$$ game a season to operate and beyond that can't make much

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
In a completely unrelated topic, YSU baseball....winless against the HL thus far...is down 10-0 to UWM...in the second inning.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 03:29:15 PM »
Yes this is a long year for baseball. 

I personally think the $400k figure is more than fair, quite possibly low. Then there is the increased expense of 2 assistants that a coach of the caliber would want. We could get #2 for around $100k or less, but no way we see the top assistant at less than $200k to a quarter-million.

Coaches for the 68 teams that made the NCAA tournament in 2015 made an average salary of $1.48 million, according to USA Today. Many also received bonuses for advancing, ranging from around $20,000 to $100,000, according to the Washington Post. The highest salary I see for last year is 4.86mil (salary only) at Duke.

Now. just how much do you think this will inflate the staff salaries among our other sports? Quite a bit. It is just like raising the minimum wage. no one cares more than the other employees that have been working what was once above minimum wage, but they now make less and receive a raise just to make what is now minimum, even after some tenure. Minimal salary breeds minimal effort and talent. This will then impact the quality of employee hires.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:44:14 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
You can get a young go-getter for whatever we are paying JS...which should be less than 400 k

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 11:43:03 PM »
Marissa Brown and Jill Blacksten are both transferring out from the women's program... Very interesting.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 12:31:23 PM »
Marissa Brown and Jill Blacksten are both transferring out from the women's program... Very interesting.

Yikes.  The JS transfer disease is spreading to other programs.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »
They both are Freshman and are the two tallest player on the team. What is going on here? Not enough minutes?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 01:59:26 PM »
By the second half of the Horizon League schedule, when Cash or Jackson got into foul trouble, Barnes often went with four guards rather than one of these women.  A sure sign they were not ready, or perhaps from what I saw in their limited minutes, not quick enough to compete in the Horizon League.  Who knows for sure.

We have already signed three players for next season: 6'2" - 6"0 - 5'11."  We might still be fine underneath but, obviously except for Cash, very inexperienced.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »
They both are Freshman and are the two tallest player on the team. What is going on here? Not enough minutes?

I heard that Jill Blacksten transferred to better her chances at getting into med. school.  Nothing wrong with YSU, but there were some courses she needed and didn't get in order to have the credit hours to apply for the biological science curriculum.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 06:46:07 PM »

I heard that Jill Blacksten transferred to better her chances at getting into med. school.  Nothing wrong with YSU, but there were some courses she needed and didn't get in order to have the credit hours to apply for the biological science curriculum.

Unfortunate but cannot blame the girl at all.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 07:11:26 PM »
Although quite some time ago, I was a bio major at YSU.  It doesn't add up.  Not saying it is not related to her major or courses or future ambitions, but there must be much more info here that's not available.  Not able to get a required course in bio?  Unless there has been a radical cutback in course availability....no way.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24:56 PM »
Although quite some time ago, I was a bio major at YSU.  It doesn't add up.  Not saying it is not related to her major or courses or future ambitions, but there must be much more info here that's not available.  Not able to get a required course in bio?  Unless there has been a radical cutback in course availability....no way.

I am sure I didn't hear all of the story, but then it is in the 'none of my business' file.  I don't believe she or her family regret the decision to start at YSU and I will give her the benefit of the doubt.  The bio science field at YSU, like engineering, has grown faster than they can get qualified professors.