Author Topic: Spring Football Practice Updates  (Read 36115 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Spring Football Practice Updates
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
Just wondering how the second practice went. The article in today's Vindicator offered few details

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Football Practice Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
I wasn't able to make it out yesterday so I had to rely on the vindy and as you said they offered very little except talking up Wells who apparently gained 20 lbs this offseason.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
Anyone know where linemen Matt Bell and Chuck Zaborsky are this spring?  They aren't on the roster, but both saw considerable action last year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »
I wasn't able to make it out yesterday so I had to rely on the vindy and as you said they offered very little except talking up Wells who apparently gained 20 lbs this offseason.
One thing about Wells.  Gaining 20# won't slow him down any!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 08:10:47 PM »
Anyone know where linemen Matt Bell and Chuck Zaborsky are this spring?  They aren't on the roster, but both saw considerable action last year.

Injuries took their toll.  By the end of the season, Matt could not raise his arms above his shoulders due to shoulder problems.  Chuck had similar injuries.  Too bad.  Good kids and good players.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 11:02:26 PM »
One thing about Wells.  Gaining 20# won't slow him down any!

Fantastic

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 12:06:38 PM »

Injuries took their toll.  By the end of the season, Matt could not raise his arms above his shoulders due to shoulder problems.  Chuck had similar injuries.  Too bad.  Good kids and good players.

Thanks for the update.  The Oline depth takes a hit without these two.  Good luck to them in the future.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »
Sad to see Mahone injured after having to deal with injuries at Notre Dame.  I hope it mends fast.

Sounds like Hosick making progress.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/mar/19/ysu-transfer-looks-impressive/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 01:01:06 PM »
Hosick will eventually become the starter if he keeps progressing in the right direction. Bo likes his running QB's and Hosick gives them the best chance to win.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 05:32:59 PM »
Offensive line- What I've always liked about coach Bricillo is his ability to produce versatility with his players. Spencer, Eisenhuth, and Colucci will be solid leaders and starters up front. I look for Vitas to become the starting center over Newsome. He has the best footwork of any of the lineman and will be a punishing run blocker. We never really found the solution last year at left tackle after the Strickland situation. Fraser did however improve to a degree as the season went on. I look for a 4 way battle between Fraser, Rotheram, Wiggins, and Zinni. Working against the likes of Rivers and Moss will only make them better, but their overall quickness to protect the backside concerns me. I would personally like to see Vitas make the transition to tackle, but we would be giving up to much at the center position

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »
Quarterbacks- My thoughts after taking in two practices. What really surprised me the most was the increased weight that Hunter put on. His footwork and overall quickness is better then a season ago and I honestly did not expect that. He has definitely brought his "A" game into spring ball and seems to be embracing this challenge. His throwing ability from the pocket is very impressive. Hosick has improved from day one untill now and that's a really good sign. He seemed to struggle the most throwing from the pocket. He had a difficult time finding throwing lanes and reading coverages from the pocket. He can definitely throw outside of the pocket on the run and they are expanding their playbook to fit that strength of run/pass option. To this point Ricky has been struggling and could be coming to grips of being the third string. I just hope that Bo and Shane are  on the same page, but I think they share different beliefs..For  now I have Wells (1) Hosick(2) Davis (3)..We will find out much more when the bullets start flying

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 08:12:05 PM »
Running Backs- I'm so glad Ryan is finally back and healthy. I would estimate his weight over 220 and he's much stronger and faster then in his freshman campaign. He will be able to gain positive yards between the tackles at will. Reducing the risk of of injury to Ruiz and Webb in the process. To find a big back like him on this level that can catch and block as well as he does is rare. McAster looked pretty good to me in practice and would be a solid backup in relief

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 08:49:46 PM »
Good insight Fever. Any word on the WR's? Very interested to see how that group turns out.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 09:05:35 PM »
Tight End- Coach Ganz seems like a hands on coach and is learning a great deal from coach Bricillo. He's coming into a great situation working with a talented group of tight ends. This is one group that I'm really not concerned about and demonstrate great blocking and catching abilities with plenty of depth. I'm very surprised they didn't move Mark Shuler to the DE position. I feel we are very thin in that area with depth and he can definitely play at that position

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 09:34:40 PM »
I'm sure there's probably close to15-20 receivers on the active roster. Just waiting on some of the younger guys to step up. There are the injuries to Harvin and Mahone. I really don't care who the 1,2 and 3 are as long as they can catch