Author Topic: Vindy Article  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Vindy Article
« on: March 13, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
From today's Vindcator:

YSU football Weak finish looms over Ice Castle

Published: Sun, March 13, 2016 @ 12:10 a.m.
Questions abound as spring practice nears

By STEVE WILAJ

The last time we saw Bo Pelini and the Youngstown State football team, the Penguins were capping a frustrating 2015 season with two particularly-frustrating losses.

With a chance to end an eight-year playoff drought, YSU (5-6, 3-5 Missouri Valley Football Conference) fell to eventual FCS National Champion North Dakota State on Nov. 14 at Stambaugh Stadium. That loss came after the Penguins took a 14-point lead into the final quarter.

The Penguins lost the next week at Indiana State when the Sycamores connected on a game-winning field goal as time expired.

Flash forward to the present and YSU begins its month-long spring schedule on Monday.

With Pelini entering his second season as head coach, he’ll lead the Penguins through 15 practices, the final session being the annual Red/White Spring Game on April 15 at 7:30 p.m. inside the Ice Castle.

Before YSU officially hits the field for the first time in 2016, here are some storylines to keep an eye on throughout the spring.

Second season the charm?

For the entire 2015 season, Pelini talked about his efforts — and the importance of — establishing his desired culture for the program to turn consistently successful.

The Penguins got off to a 3-1 start, before losing three in a row and five of their final seven. Over that losing stretch, the topic was analyzed quite extensively, as the players apparently didn’t buy into the change until after the three-game October skid.

However, Pelini and YSU seemed to finally turn a corner in the final four games — and this spring will certainly be important for the players to continue to embrace the change from the Eric Wolford era (2010-14).

QB battle

YSU has a two-year starter returning in junior quarterback Hunter Wells. So the Penguins are set at the position, right? Not exactly.

After a promising 2014 freshman season (14 TDs, seven interceptions), the 6-foot-5 pocket passer didn’t progress much last year (13 TDs, seven interceptions). In turn, Ricky Davis (also a sophomore last season) saw action in nine games, although mainly as a runner (just 17 pass attempts compared to 42 rushes for 195 yards and four TDs).

Oh, and Pelini brought in Trent Hosick, a redshirt-junior transfer from junior college Arizona Western. A dual-threat quarterback, Hosick was a highly-touted prospect out of high school in 2012. He committed to Missouri, transferred to AZ Western for two years and ended up at YSU after suffering two serious injuries a year ago that scared off bigger schools.

So, YSU has three serious contenders for the QB position heading into 2016. No doubt, this spring is important for all of them.

Will Mahone

This certainly wasn’t how the former Austintown Fitch standout’s collegiate career was supposed to go.

First, he got kicked out of Notre Dame in 2014 after being charged with four misdemeanors for his role in a fight in Austintown. Then he joined the Penguins under Wolford prior to the 2014 season, before leaving the program shortly thereafter.

Now in a better place, Mahone is getting a final chance under Pelini.

A linebacker, the 2012 Fitch grad should receive a good opportunity to grab a significant role for YSU’s defense, which ranked near the top of the FCS in 2015.

noteworthy newcomers

Pelini’s 2016 recruiting class, announced in early February, consists of 11 newcomers (eight out of high school and three from junior colleges). In addition to the ones mentioned above, here are a few other interesting names to keep an eye on:

Stefan Derrick II — a junior wide receiver from Orange Coast College in California, Derrick II caught 65 passes for 1,161 yards and 16 touchdowns last season for the Pirates. At 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, he can certainly impact YSU’s lacking wide receiver group.

Vitas Hrynkiewicz — a 6-foot-4, 305-pound center from Independence Community College, Hrynkiewicz jumps right into a large group of YSU offensive lineman that will vie for starting spots. The Penguins O-line shuffled all last season and still wasn’t settled by seasons end.

Malachi Newell — the Farrell High grad was a Pennsylvania Class A First-Team All-State honoree at linebacker (16.5 tackles for loss, 13 forced fumbles, four interceptions and 3.5 sacks). With good size at 6-foot-1, 195 pounds, Newell is another intriguing talent in what’s suddenly a deep YSU linebacker corp.

Other stories of interest
- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/mar/13/ysu-football-weak-finish-looms-over-ice-/?newswatch#sthash.LUQmEE6v.dpuf

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vindy Article
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
I'm very excited for the start of camp. Both Vitas and Mahone looked very good to me in some of their pre-season workouts. I'm unaware of Trent having any significant injuries during college other then some cracked ribs and sprained ankles, but make know mistake about it the kid is very strong and will be a load to tackle. Work hard coaches and players and push each other to the limit as you start your journey together for the 2016 season

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 06:48:18 PM »
I already have football fever. Super excited for the next season  fb. No pun intended fever  ;)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »
I already have football fever. Super excited for the next season  fb. No pun intended fever  ;)
I think that's a lie!  I think you fully intended to offer us a pun!  (BTW, not the worst I've heard)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »
Ok go guins you caught me  ;D

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 05:24:04 PM »
Know problem Yo..That username name was not a difficult one to choose..Football has and always will be a big part of my life ☺