Author Topic: Frat Party Gone Awry  (Read 16278 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Frat Party Gone Awry
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »
"According to a Youngstown Police report, a starting YSU football player allegedly broke a 22-year-old man's nose in two places during a brawl at a fraternity house at 253 Park Ave at 1:30 a.m.

The football player has not been charged, and the report did not name the fraternity.

Trevor Parks, YSU Sports Information Director, told 21 News that he had not heard about the incident as of 4:30 p.m. Thursday."

http://www.wfmj.com/story/31201051/report-ysu-football-player-involved-in-frat-fight

Very few details available.  The story prollywill just fade away.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Frat Party Gone Awry
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
As it probably should be. It was a large group brawl, so it would be very unfair to single him out because he is a celebrity. If they are all "in the cooler", then so be it. He will be punished with the rest of them. If they all walk ..so be it. He will not be punished with the rest of them.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:37:02 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »
More details emerge:

"Youngstown police are investigating two incidents involving brawls and gunshots that occurred early Sunday at two fraternity houses near Youngstown State University.

Witnesses say two or more YSU football players were involved in assaults on two YSU students – each in a separate incident. Charges are not expected to be filed until next week as the investigation is ongoing.

According to a police report, a YSU football player purportedly broke a 22-year-old man’s nose during a brawl at Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity house at 253 Park Ave. at 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

About an hour later, officers were called to a second, Alpha Phi Delta fraternity house at 45 Indiana Ave., for another large fight.

A 21-year-old male of the APD fraternity told police that he was struck by a YSU football player and an unknown male after a large group of uninvited men showed up and tried to force their way into the house. The male said he was struck while blocking the door, and gunshots erupted thereafter.

The male suffered a gash above his left eye, which required five stitches at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, the police report stated. According to the report, he was intoxicated at the time of the incident and declined an initial interview.

It is not clear if the two events are related.

This is the first police-related incident under YSU football coach Bo Pelini, who joined the Penguins in December 2014.

The most-recent incident occurred in November 2014 under former head coach Eric Wolford.

In that case, former wide receiver Michael Wheary punched a hole in a wall so hard he broke a waterline to a sprinkler system, flooding several rooms in his Wick Oval apartment complex.

Wheary was charged with fourth-degree vandalism by the Youngstown Municipal Court, and Wolford dismissed him from the team."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/feb/12/several-ysu-football-players-suspected-i/

A few puzzle pieces are added.  Not enough to make a picture, but nonetheless concerning.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:30:58 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »
The Jambar's report:

http://www.thejambar.com/fights-at-fraternities-leave-ysu-students-injured/

I suspect another scholarship is going to open up...perhaps more than one.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 02:03:48 PM »
This sounds like Nebraska.  ;D

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 06:17:22 PM »
Seems like the prudent thing to do is withhold judgement until things get sorted out, then let the chips fall where they may.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 07:30:59 PM »
No...It sounds like idiotic boys being boys.  Went on 50 years ago... It will happen again tomorrow

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 12:18:54 AM »

Lol. Sounds like any college campus in america.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »
What is next? Kids drinking beer on campus?  :-*

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »
I hope Manziel has a good alibi, I hear he has some free time.

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »

When looking at Pelini's record of player issues at Nebraska, the one player that caused the most problems transferred to........ Youngstown. 

I do hate when football players are isolated when there are party fights all the time.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:06:12 PM by Blo Pelini »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »
Frankly sounds more like Ohio State, Miami, or LSU to me. You have 50-60 strong, virile, drunk, young men, this is going to happen.  It has always happened, and will happen again going forward.  Nature of the beast, so to speak.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 08:58:27 AM »
You hate to see this from any player let alone a starter. Hopefully he will learn from this and get his life back in order

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »
Thompson was starting nickel DB but it probably wont hurt too much. Shame that this is his senior season. Oh well....