Author Topic: Browns qb?  (Read 23002 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Browns qb?
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:06:58 PM »
See some chatter about Carson Wentz being possible option for the Browns. Any thoughts?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Browns qb?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »
Guinpen I have been a Browns fan my entire life. This would make me very happy if they decided to draft him

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »
I guess Carson is really impressing scouts at the senior bowl practice this week. Many draft experts say he will be a top 10 pick. So if the Browns want him they might just have to do it at 2 or be willing to give up the 32 pick and a future 1st rounder
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:24:25 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:58 AM »
We do know a couple things here.  #1 Carson Wentz is a lot better than the YSU secondary.  #2 Browns are desperate for QB  #3 Paxton Lynch has an arm about twice as strong as mine and will never be a NFL QB

Looks like Goff from Cal or Wentz behind new Brown's center, whoever that is.   It would be nice to have MVFC connection with Brownies.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 05:46:04 PM »
I have seen 6'4" to 6'6" and 235 to 240 and like that.

I would like to give him a try

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »
Need experience. Not another new guy. Fork out the money and steal someone from a another team. Wentz is just another glory-boy from a small school being pushed by the media. Not an NFL QB. All of you have seen him and he has NEVER been the top QB we have faced in a season, not even in our own conference. Let the Steelers take him, they may be looking for another awkward-styled QB to replace big Ben.

Goff from Cal is sensational. I mean he threw more passes this season that Wentz threw in 4-years of college. Still Goff is not a franchise guy. The Browns cannot afford anymore inexperience at a starting position.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »
I hate the steelers but Ben did not exactly come from a FBS powerhouse. Awkard and all he has worked out ok.

I cannot imagine how much money it would take to "buy" a proven talent

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »
I do agree with you 1AAFan..he is in the media spotlight right now because the other Qb's are not at the senior bowl. We will have alot better idea when the combine is complete. I know Buffalo and Dallas have been actively following him for over a year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas take him at 4 or Buffalo move up from 19. Tall strong armed quarterback's in the 230 plus range with some degree of athleticism is what NFL teams want. The fact he can run the pro style offense is an added plus..we shall see

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »
Doesn't matter who the QB is, that team and organization is in shambles and could possibly go 0-16.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »
Doesn't matter who the QB is, that team and organization is in shambles and could possibly go 0-16.
As I lifetime Browns fan, and eternal optimist, I see 2-14 as a miracle year based on the off-season.
The cut or let go a lot of marginal guys that won’t help them win in the playoffs, which is fine by me.  But they haven’t replaced any of them with even equal talent, so they are obviously going to be worse than last year.  It does look like Wentz #1 and that should be a start to build on, but he won't be the starter this year.  I see draft choices on the horizon for Joe Thomas, so that will help going forward too, IF YOU CAN PICK TALENT?!?!?!?!

Much more into Penguins QB.  Any spring practice updates?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »
The Titans traded their number one pick today to the Rams and they are expected to take Wentz #1 overall. I think the Browns were set to take him at #2

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »
Will be interesting to see what the Browns do now.  They have the #1 pick overall in the NFL draft without Carson Wentz.  Might trade Joe Thomas for mulitple picks and take the tackle from Ol Miss.  I'll tell you this, yesterday the Mock Drafts were all the same 1-5 today there isn't one even close to another.  Should be interesting.  My chief question is who will start at QB for YSU?  And I'm certain I will not know more tonight than this morning.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »
Let me ask you something. If Goff was from Harding and played his ball at Pitt, with as much attention as Goff gets from Berkley ...do you think the Browns would not be all over him?

Rams will not be stupid enough to go after Wentz. You seriously don't see them passing up the top QB in this draft (which is not saying much at all) that is almost a hometown kid? I suspect Wentz draft stock will plummet come podium time. Right now the 49ers hold the car keys.

Goff is a walk-on franchise QB, at least the closest thing to one this year. Wentz, on the other hand, with possibly slightly higher overall potential, is years away. No doubt that Goff wants to stay home in the Bay area ...but LA, Minnesota and Cleveland all have a QB need and pick ahead of the 49ers. The Browns will sport more of a run-game, which favors Wentz. The 9ers have something like 15 picks traded to them. Don't be surprised to see Kapernick starting for the Rams, Goff the next Steve Young, with RGIII as another very unpopular Browns QB. If the Browns were smart, they would be all over Sean Manion of the Rams for a workshop project ...lots of upside. Then again, he is a Jared Goff clone & the Rams may just want to keep him if they do keep Goff.

All of this being said, how could any of us YSU fans be high on Wentz? Was he even the #1 QB in the MVFC over the last couple of years? I do suspect Wentz has much higher leadership skills than Goff ...who loves the limelight a bit much as I understand it. Do we not already have one of those guys taking snaps?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:37:19 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »
1AA
I think upside on Wentz is higher than Goff and I'd take him #1 Paxton Lynch #2 and Goff #3
And under no circumstances do I draft the local kid UNLESS I honestly believe he is the best pick.

"Was he even the #1 QB in the MVFC over the last couple of years?"
YES, and what is scary is last year the second best was Easton Stick!

"I do suspect Wentz has much higher leadership skills than Goff "
I absolutely agree, and what confuses me is why that isn't the single most important thing to you?  That means more than the ability to throw the ball.  Do you honestly thing that for the last 15 years Payton Manning was in the top half of NFL guys throwing the ball?  No, but was he one of the 2 best leaders and therefore one of the top 2 QB's?  Yes, you have to have something of an arm but on his best day Manning couldn't throw 1/2 as well as Derek Anderson (one time Brown).