Author Topic: YSU enrollment up for first time since 2011  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU enrollment up for first time since 2011
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:20:24 PM »
http://www.wfmj.com/story/31061053/ysu-enrollment-up-for-first-time-since-2011

I live in SW FL, and just ran out to run errands in my YSU rain jacket.  One guy walks past me and says, "penguins", and then a lady (they weren't together) asked if I went to YSU.  She is from Columbus and her kid is a freshman at YSU, and "loves" it.  The reason they chose YSU over the many schools that are closer to home.....President Tressel.

The guy just gets the job done.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU enrollment up for first time since 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:19:06 AM »
The engineering program is fantastic.  Where is that mentioned?  I believe that I have one of the most valuable in the U.S.  I have seen YSU students go up against the best and show as the best.  Does anyone know that Emory university plucks our STEM graduates as a hidden pipeline?  Our STEM programs are outstanding.  Hopefully this individual is part of that program......would make sense.  Just an FYI and reminder to those that may not know or have forgotten.

Not a surprise.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:21:35 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
The one thing that JT continually mentioned at his Columbus visit, is that enrollment declined as a result of YSU changing from an Opened" to a "Closed" school. What this means is that you now have minimum standards (i.e.: GPA) to meet now. When I wen there in the 80's, they took basically anyone that met the state requirements. He added that they are looking to expand the student base, not lower the standards.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:16:59 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »
YSU is a phenomenal school and I am proud to be a student and soon to be alum. YSU is more affordable than most state universities and provides a great education for its students. I have nothing but positive things to say about this university and about all of my experiences here. This university is definitely on the upswing.  Two brand new apartment complexes are being built on campus within the next two years, enrollment is increasing, etc. People can say what they want about JT but we are fortunate to have him as president of this university. 

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
The one thing that JT continually mentioned at his Columbus visit, is that enrollment declined as a result of YSU changing from an Opened" to a "Closed" school. What this means is that you now have minimum standards (i.e.: GPA) to meet now. When I wen there in the 80's, they took basically anyone that met the state requirements. He added that they are looking to expand the student base, not lower the standards.

One of my concerns when I hear politicians talk about college education for everyone is that they will force many schools to become an "open" enrollment university and then hold the graduation and withdraw numbers against them.

One final rant that YSU needs to do more to expose what they have to offer throughout the state.  A couple HS college fairs that I attended a few years ago either had no YSU representation or just a table with pamphlets and forms for "more information".

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 05:48:40 PM »
YSU is a phenomenal school and I am proud to be a student and soon to be alum. YSU is more affordable than most state universities and provides a great education for its students. I have nothing but positive things to say about this university and about all of my experiences here. This university is definitely on the upswing.  Two brand new apartment complexes are being built on campus within the next two years, enrollment is increasing, etc. People can say what they want about JT but we are fortunate to have him as president of this university.

nice post
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne