Author Topic: Basketball Coach Jibber Jabber  (Read 8682 times)

jimmiejames

Basketball Coach Jibber Jabber
« on: January 18, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »
Once there is an opening, will "Smoke" apply?

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Coach Jibber Jabber
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »
I'd imagine Marlon will and can already tell you Rick McFadden will as well.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »
  I think someone like Ricky McFadden is the way go. Younger, up and coming assistant from a winning program.   But I don't think you just give him the job because he is from here.   This is a Division 1 program, let's look at all options.

Slocum has to be done, but I don't think he will go out on his own.   He is delusional, if you ask him, he is doing a good job.   Arrogant, rude with the media, and he has never embraced this community and made positive connections with fans and local coaches.

I am not sure Strollo has it to fire him. but Tressel does, and he will make it happen. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
McFadden is an interesting choice. He's been at Akron under Dambrot for awhile now. Maybe waiting for his opportunity.... I'd give it a shot.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
I am not sure Strollo has it to fire him. but Tressel does, and he will make it happen.

They don't have to fire him.  I believe YSU has an option on him for next season.  They won't pick up the option, and JS will have to move on.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:44:48 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens at years end.  The program is rock bottom and no fan interest.  I don't know of any school that would keep a coach over 10 years with his record.  It is going to take the next coach awhile to become competitive for sure.  But change needs made

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »
I know someone in the Akron basketball program and they're saying McFadden wants this job extremely bad.

I'd be happy with him.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »
I know someone in the Akron basketball program and they're saying McFadden wants this job extremely bad.

I'd be happy with him.

I can see why. His wife played basketball for YSU. They have 2 kids and still live in this are I believe.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 05:44:02 PM »
Does the media ever ask coach why the program isn't successful ?   Are they intimidated ?        During last nights game one of the commentators spoke to Slocum off camera and asked about the up and down play and coach said that the team is so young and wasn't sure what he'll get each night.    I agree with Slocum that they are young and this team has potential down the road but why are we so young ?    In the last two seasons how many players have left the program ?   Must be at least 6-7 and if that continues YSU will always be starting from scratch unless he's bringing in juco which sometimes is just a band aid to a bigger problem.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »
Why McFadden over Wernicki? Slocum does what he is paid to do & told to do. He is actually well-liked by most all at the school ...yes the media  has always been an issue with him, we are used to it now.  Wenicki has the added benefit of knowing the program. We can pay McFadden everything he gets now at Akron, if he wants to come home and coach in the same capacity.

That being said, if YSU wants to shell out $350-$400k ...there is MUCH better to be had. If they need to again go a bit on "the cheap" then Wenicki is clearly your man. No one is going to ask coach S why the program is not successful as they already know & if not Slocum may just tell them LOL.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:37:22 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 07:15:12 AM »
An 0.294 HL record is what Slocum was told to do?

Wernicki would need to explain his role in the debacle known as YSU MBB, and his glaring deficiencies as the recruiting coordinator. 

Pass.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »
Why McFadden over Wernicki? Slocum does what he is paid to do & told to do. He is actually well-liked by most all at the school ...yes the media  has always been an issue with him, we are used to it now.  Wenicki has the added benefit of knowing the program. We can pay McFadden everything he gets now at Akron, if he wants to come home and coach in the same capacity.

That being said, if YSU wants to shell out $350-$400k ...there is MUCH better to be had. If they need to again go a bit on "the cheap" then Wenicki is clearly your man. No one is going to ask coach S why the program is not successful as they already know & if not Slocum may just tell them LOL.

So, Slocum is paid to have losing season after losing season? If you think Werniki is the future of this program, we are all in for a lot more losing. Needs to be somebody from outside the program. Look at Bolden and Barnes on the women's side.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 03:58:15 PM »
You guys cannot compare MBB to WBB ...the shape of the ball is all they have in common. Even UWGB get's blasted by any solid competition and they are consistently rated one of , if not the top, mid-major teams in the country. On the other hand, Butler was in 2 national championship games while being rated barely in the top-10 of the men's mid-major programs. Slocum could never recruit the way Barnes does, as that type of talent would never look here. The school wants players that can pass classes and stay out of trouble, so the administration can focus on other issues. All of this on top of a drastically increased talent level in the Horizon League basketball.

There are all but no professional women's sports at this time and scholarship-based collegiate women's sports is a relatively new thing; so top female athlete's are still very happy to get anything more than a scholarship (i.e.: food). You remember, they way it was for men prior to needs-based scholarships. So for now, colleges like YSU can recruit female basketball players (even somewhat locally) well and even afford the luxury of looking for some non-athletic requirements from their recruits ...like academics and attitude.

I tell you what, you look at UWM when they hired Bruce Pearl, then look at what happened to Pearl and don't for a second think that his recruiting indiscretions only began at Tennessee. This is the only reasonably successful team in our conference's recent history aside from Butler. This is also the blueprint for mid-major (Horizon League) success. Note that neither school plays scholarship-based football. Are you willing to do this, because I guarantee you that Slocum will have tremendous success. Then again, we will have the money to hire a bigger $$ coach.

You might also notice that Pearl is now at a school that has a very distinctive set of athletic priorities ...almost a clone to YSU. Strong women's sports, solid baseball, an unwavering dynasty in football along with a men's basketball program that has a .312 winning percentage since the year 2000. As soon as they start winning ...call the NCAA, as Pearl is gone.

Do not think that I am being negative of YSU ...on the contrary. I am a big fans of what Slocum does, because (even if out of necessity) he tries to do it right. The YSU Athletic administration is well aware of what they ask coach S to do and what he has done. I do expect some serious changes in YSU athletics, but for now the two people that you seem to criticize the most (Strollo and Slocum) have done quite a bit to help advance the the overall cause of YSU sports, even if MBB has been much more of a victim than other sports.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:05:19 AM by IAA Fan »