Author Topic: MBB: UWM @ YSU Th 01/07 7:45 pm  (Read 8070 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
MBB: UWM @ YSU Th 01/07 7:45 pm
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
After a very impressive road win over Oakland, YSU MBB (RPI # 223) faces UWM (RPI #177) at Beeghley.  UWM has had two BIG wins over Whisky and Minnesota, as well as other victories over Denver and Central Michigan.

Massey gives YSU a 35% chance of winning and predicts a score of 77-81.

UWM (10-5 / 1-1) in the HL has lost to WSU and defeated NKU.  This is their first HL road game, and YSU's first HL home game.

Statistically, UWM leads the HL in FG% and FT%, and # of assists/game.

For UWM, senior Matt Tiby leads the HL in rebounds, and junior Jordan Johnson leads the HL in assist/turnover ratio.

Go Penguins.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

Re: MBB: UWM @ YSU Th 01/07 7:45 pm
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 07:51:06 PM »
I'll be there. Hoping for the doubleheader sweep of Milwaukee!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:20 AM »
More interested in the ladies but go guins nevertheless!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 12:21:48 PM »
I hear ya Chief, but they played a legit D1 OOC schedule finally, and are showing a pulse even without their leading rebounder.  I throw em a bone for the effort.

From YSUsports.com:

• This is the 38th meeting between YSU and Milwaukee in a series that dates back to 1972.
• The Panthers own a 27-10 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two games.

• Five Panthers average in double figures led by senior Matt Tiby with 15.5 points per game. He also leads the team with 8.9 rebounds per game.
• Akeem Springs is averaging 13.5 points per game while Austin Arians is at 11.7 ppg, Jordan Johnson is at 11.5 ppg and J.J. Panoske is at 10.5 ppg.

http://ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/milwaukee-1-preview
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »
From the Vindy:

"But the immediate offensive firepower can’t be denied, as the Hain-less Penguins also put up 78 points on the Fighting Irish and 87 on Detroit. The next challenge is maintaining the pace.

“That’s the million dollar question: How do we bring that intensity back home with us?” Slocum said. “We talked about not leaving it on the bus and coming out and playing hard. We need to take the opportunity now of two home games to come out and play with that kind of fire and intensity.” "

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/jan/06/smaller-faster-and-better/

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 04:30:27 PM »
How do we get the intensity to continue from Monday night ?  PACK THE HOUSE!! Get off your lazy a$$ Mahoning Valley and PACK THE HOUSE. It's that simple.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:42:58 PM by penguin4ever »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »
One day you're sipping the wine the next day you're stomping the grapes.    The UWM game looked like one of Mike Tyson's early career fights where his opponent lasted about 43 seconds.  We looked like Geneva College.

This is a fragile team with Hain out and when Donlan and Andrews are off it makes for a long night.   The coaching staff has to get close out defense on 3 point shooters.  UWM had easy looks all night.

Morse was the bright spot once again.  Not sure why Jerry had him out so long in the 1st half when UWM went on their run.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:51:52 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:49 PM »
How about the ladies though?!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »
The ladies are looking more like citizens (as opposed to marvel characters) these last few games as well. The men have to win every single home game to break .500 ...no questions, no exceptions.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 09:47:26 AM »
Post-mortem courtesy of the Vindy:

“Very disappointed with our effort,” YSU head coach Jerry Slocum said. “I’m tired of it, frankly. I’m tired of playing great on the road, or hard on the road, and coming home and laying eggs. It’s disappointing. ... That’s not the team that I’ve coached the last three games on the road.”

YSU (6-10, 1-2 Horizon League) — which fell behind 45-28 at halftime — was led by Cameron Morse’s 18 points, while Francisco Santiago added 17. The Panthers (11-5, 2-1) were paced by Akeem Springs’ career-high 33 points on 14-of-18 shooting as they became the fifth Penguins opponent in six games to score at least 80 points.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/jan/08/no-home-cooking-for-ysu/

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
Morse was the bright spot once again.  Not sure why Jerry had him out so long in the 1st half when UWM went on their run.

Possibly because in the 33 minutes he did play, he didn't come up with a single rebound.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »
“Very disappointed with our effort,” YSU head coach Jerry Slocum said. “I’m tired of it, frankly. I’m tired of playing great on the road, or hard on the road, and coming home and laying eggs. It’s disappointing. ... That’s not the team that I’ve coached the last three games on the road.”

We're tired of it too Jerry.... Sigh.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »

We're tired of it too Jerry.... Sigh.
Right, I am also tired of his inability to coach these guys how to play defense. The weak side defense against the 3 point shots at the base line was absolutely awful last night. The shooter was wide open all night without a defender anywhere within 10 feet of him.