Author Topic: Old Friends  (Read 6737 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Old Friends
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:14:17 PM »
I noticed that several of our old friends (that have made the move to FBS) enjoyed a bowl trip this year. Interesting that at one time all these schools played at the same level as YSU and we beat all of them but one.

Appy St, Western KY, Akron, Boise, Georgia Southern, Middle TN, Marshall and Nevada.

Also, looking at this list makes it easier to understand why NDSU is able to dominate 1AA, it is a very watered down division, not near as competitive as it was 20 years ago. Too many top programs have moved on.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Old Friends
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:29:31 PM »
Agreed!!!!

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »
Obviously time for YSU to move to FBS.  No brainer. We are 10 years behind the times

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 02:44:08 PM »
Moving to FBS is the correct strategy.  We have an FBS coach let's move now.  I know we would be every FBS homecoming game (we would earn plenty of money though)  but that is the price to pay until we join an FBS conference.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »
Never ever move up to FBS without conference affiliation, we would never get enough games and we would never see any post-season. Besides, conference realignment will dictate what we do.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 12:20:12 PM »
Never ever move up to FBS without conference affiliation, we would never get enough games and we would never see any post-season. Besides, conference realignment will dictate what we do.
I absolutely agree with 1AA here, you MUST have affiliation to move, but look around, we are second division in 1AA any everybody is jumping on moving to 1A?!?!? Are you guys crazy?  We have, let me add them up......tick.... tick....tick......got it, 1 win against 1A in our whole time playing football.  What we need is 1AA basketball, not moving to 1A football! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »
Pretty soon FCS will be like D2 ball.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 05:39:59 PM »
I absolutely agree with 1AA here, you MUST have affiliation to move, but look around, we are second division in 1AA any everybody is jumping on moving to 1A?!?!? Are you guys crazy?  We have, let me add them up......tick.... tick....tick......got it, 1 win against 1A in our whole time playing football.  What we need is 1AA basketball, not moving to 1A football!

Have not made the play-offs for a while but I still consider us to be in the top half of 1-AA. I do not have the record book in front of me but we have a bunch of wins against 1-A schools, talking Mac schools here. But I understand your point when you say 1 win, 1 win against a real 1A school.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:26:18 AM »

Have not made the play-offs for a while but I still consider us to be in the top half of 1-AA. I do not have the record book in front of me but we have a bunch of wins against 1-A schools, talking Mac schools here. But I understand your point when you say 1 win, 1 win against a real 1A school.

I'll give you a few MAC wins, but most of those were Akron, pre MAC. but we are bottom half of the league standings and have been for years.  We may "think" of us as upper tier, but facts are facts and we are not.  We all remember "making the playoffs" wasn't even the goal, but "winning the playoffs" was the goal, not we don't even get in.  LONG way to go

SCHOOL   CONF   OVERALL
North Dakota State   7-1   13-2
Illinois State   7-1   10-3
South Dakota State   5-3   8-4
Northern Iowa   5-3   9-5
Western Illinois   5-3   7-6
Indiana State   3-5   5-6
South Dakota   3-5   5-6
Youngstown State   3-5   5-6
Southern Illinois   2-6   3-8
Missouri State   0-8   1-10
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!