Author Topic: CBSsports.com article re: President Tressel  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
CBSsports.com article re: President Tressel
« on: December 30, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »
Very interesting article.  It reaffirms two beliefs that I have:

1)  JT was the right choice to be President
2)  He will advance his career in a few years, likely to involve politics.  He cannot maintain the current 18 hour workdays, and politics is comparatively much easier.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/feature/25431105/president-tressel

The article again restates President Tressel's role in luring BP:

"Once Tressel returned as president, one of his most visible decisions was to hire Pelini, who he had tried to recruit to YSU as a free safety in the late 1980s. The coach, fired after going 67-27 over eight seasons as the head of Nebraska's football program, called it a homecoming. He graduated from Youngstown's Cardinal Mooney High School. His wife's parents live nearby. But Tressel played a big part. "I have a president who understands football," Pelini said at his introductory press conference. "I haven't had that before." "

Other quotes:

"At Youngstown State, Tressel has cut administration and open faculty positions, and reduced a $10 million deficit to $3 million."

"Deeper cuts could be ahead at YSU, and Palmer-Fernandez doesn't see Tressel, now 62, as a long-term solution. Neither does de Souza, who initially was unhappy with Tressel's hiring but, like many others, has come around. He wonders if Tressel's chances to win a U.S. Senate seat might be more likely than another university presidency. "Where does he go from here?" he asks."

"Indeed, fall enrollment was up for the first time in years, a combination of both Tressel's relentless recruiting and a decision to market the university beyond the Mahoning Valley."
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen