Author Topic: Vindy article  (Read 8214 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vindy article
« on: December 18, 2015, 09:33:28 AM »
Wilaj is just a bit too negative in the article. Never too early to be nice a peak interest, especially when we are out recruiting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:46:16 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
Wilaj is just a bit too negative in the article. Never too early to be nice a peak interest, especially when we are out recruiting.

????? He just stated the facts.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »
I was also somewhat surprised by the article. Did Bo only make those two statements in the entire phone interview? What else did Bo say? I personally do not believe the rumor is true. If all he wanted was to be a DC in FBS, he probably could have done it. Why would he come to YSU? He wants to be a head coach.

The headline for Wilaj article was "Pelini denies Kentucky interests". However, in the entire article, he did not state that Bo had denied the interests. All it said was Bo considered the rumor as "ludicrous & ridiculous". Bo really did not say that he is not going to Kentucky. Unless, he had said it but was not reported in the article.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »
Kentucky D-Coordinator is staying in that position this topic is no longer relevant.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »

Agreed, but they were stated very negativeky ...with anything positive removed. You and I both no thgis DC job was never even considered. Also, there were positives that occurred and also extenuating circumstances to 2015. There are also updates ...staff, early recruiting, etc.. Look, there are really two types of fans reading the vindicator ...those that are indifferent and those that care (we are the latter). You are not going to lose a fan that is already indifferent to the program ...just hope the team wins and that fan shows up at some games. With Wilaj being relatively new, he needs to demonstrate his enthusiasm for the Guins. Otherwise he will never catch the real fan. You cannot claim you care about the school when the first real thing we read is negatively presented. In short, if you are covering a beat, you better show some compassion, along with your knowledge.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »

Agreed, but they were stated very negativeky ...with anything positive removed. You and I both no thgis DC job was never even considered. Also, there were positives that occurred and also extenuating circumstances to 2015. There are also updates ...staff, early recruiting, etc.. Look, there are really two types of fans reading the vindicator ...those that are indifferent and those that care (we are the latter). You are not going to lose a fan that is already indifferent to the program ...just hope the team wins and that fan shows up at some games. With Wilaj being relatively new, he needs to demonstrate his enthusiasm for the Guins. Otherwise he will never catch the real fan. You cannot claim you care about the school when the first real thing we read is negatively presented. In short, if you are covering a beat, you better show some compassion, along with your knowledge.

All due respect, IAA Fan, your perception about what Steve Wilaj's job should be is wrong. Ytownchief22 was right — all factual. Steve is not supposed to be a cheerleader any more than Joe Scalzo or Pete Mollica were supposed to be. They were not.

Did you miss Steve's end-of-season report? I thought he was very fair about the season as a whole.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 07:38:10 PM »
I do not dispute his facts & I like what he has done so far. I guess my point is that I read that story as having a negative spin to it ...this is just as bad as cheer-leading. For example, he could have mentioned (as i believe you or he did already in an earlier article) that we had to battle so many injuries. Heck we had 4 different guys give us snaps this year. I must have missed the mention of Zak Kennedy, etc. .  I did see him mention of a tweet (which is really just a thing for me). Tweets belong here on the board, not in a paper. Also mentioning Pelini went 5-6 is fair game, mentioning he missed the play-offs is sliding a bit more negative (as the point is obvious), but I understand that casual readers may not know this. However, to then move on and give us a month-by-month breakdown in the next paragraph yet, was going too far.

Look I understand a few things about writing and how newspaper stories usually do not even resemble actual writing. The idea is to be factual and quick. However, let's look at editing for a second ...count the number of items in that article that are negative & put them on the left side of a page. Then do the same for the positive YSU/Pelini comments made and place them on the right. In this article, I think the right side of your paper would be empty ...then so should the left side. Many editors used to demand this.

Again I have no stake in this, but any beat writer needs to establish themselves as a fan of the teams they cover.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 09:02:49 PM »
I do not dispute his facts & I like what he has done so far. I guess my point is that I read that story as having a negative spin to it ...this is just as bad as cheer-leading. For example, he could have mentioned (as i believe you or he did already in an earlier article) that we had to battle so many injuries. Heck we had 4 different guys give us snaps this year. I must have missed the mention of Zak Kennedy, etc. .  I did see him mention of a tweet (which is really just a thing for me). Tweets belong here on the board, not in a paper. Also mentioning Pelini went 5-6 is fair game, mentioning he missed the play-offs is sliding a bit more negative (as the point is obvious), but I understand that casual readers may not know this. However, to then move on and give us a month-by-month breakdown in the next paragraph yet, was going too far.

Look I understand a few things about writing and how newspaper stories usually do not even resemble actual writing. The idea is to be factual and quick. However, let's look at editing for a second ...count the number of items in that article that are negative & put them on the left side of a page. Then do the same for the positive YSU/Pelini comments made and place them on the right. In this article, I think the right side of your paper would be empty ...then so should the left side. Many editors used to demand this.

Again I have no stake in this, but any beat writer needs to establish themselves as a fan of the teams they cover.

No, a beat writer absolutely does not HAVE to be a fan. Most editors will tell you that's the last thing they want. Can someone who is a fan write objectively about a team he covers? Sure. It happens every day in probably every press box in America. But it is not a prerequisite and it should not be obvious in stories that the writer is a fan. It doesn't work that way in journalism.

That said, yes, it's better for everyone when the teams we cover win. More people will want to read about winning teams and it helps the relationships go better if all our questions aren't about why the team didn't win. See: Cleveland Browns. A reporter can want the team to win for all of those reasons, but he can't cheer for the team. That's why I won't wear a YSU hat/shirt to a game. Or OSU garb to an OSU game. Or Browns stuff to a Browns game. Even the appearance of cheering in the press box or in your coverage is unforgivable.

Also, I will argue until I die that facts are not positive or negative. They're simply facts. Someone's perception of them can be positive or negative, but that's different. Further, we didn't need to mention Zak Kennedy in an eight-inch story about Bo Pelini calling those UK rumors ridiculous. The story was not about any individual players. But how YSU did overall in Pelini's first season was, and is, relevant.

And to be fair, if those rumors weren't already out there and being tweeted and retweeted locally, there would be no need to follow up on them with Pelini to either confirm or deny their veracity. That's one of the things I dislike about social media, but that's how it is today and we adjust accordingly.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Vindy article
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
I decided to split it off as it is a thread on recruiting. I guess that you and I will have to disagree on a sports writer's job, there are other factors and YSU is not large enough to have an exclusive person. Also his predecessor had a blog, which gave the impression of unity. I will also never agree that anything stated on social media is newsworthy. Even if a killer confesses on this board or twitter, the judge should throw it out. Even if the IP is traced right to his house and he/she is captured while typing.

I read certain twitter accounts for rumors only. I would also suggest the Vindy ask for a volunteer YSU fan with some sports writing experience ...or go the rout of a former well-known player or staff member. Then you can think of it as an editorial column

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »
We  also have a disagreement on what constitutes a "FAN". Every fan has a right to be critical and a cheerleader. There is a time for each.

And now, on with the comedy

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 06:55:22 PM »
Pally didn't you graduate from Vocational school or something.  Go spin your negativity there.   :)
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
We  also have a disagreement on what constitutes a "FAN". Every fan has a right to be critical and a cheerleader. There is a time for each.

so I take it that you have yet to find the cheer-leading side of yourself?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »

Good one 1AA,
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 06:28:02 PM »

He probably attended the Don Rickles' school of comedy. He gets his kick by insulting everybody.... As Don said, "you hockey puck"