Author Topic: 2016 Recruting  (Read 168030 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »
Competition is good.  However the "judge" of the winner of the competition is highly suspect.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
Interesting radio show, "Ricky and Roth", on Rookery radio at 8 am on Wednesdays.  Nice, although guarded, insight from YSU players.

I love their show. Very cool.  :)

They really work well together and were very comfortable on the air.  I must admit, however, that I got really bummed when they spoke as if #6 is the presumed starter in 2016.  If that actually happens I may have to break stuff.

You have a good point, I will need to listen to the show. Where can I get it?

I do think he is the presumed starter, I mean having been for 1.5 years. Also, if we can just get a little bit of complexity back into our offense ...there really is no dire need for a running QB. I liked the way Bo said it ...(paraphrase) we have no need for a running QB with coach Montgomery's offense ... but if I can get all things being equal, having the added ability to run; I'd take it.

I trust coach Montgomery to make an educated decision

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »
If by "judge" you mean Montgomery , you are correct. He is a coach that has set up a "system", no matter the skills of his QBs or their ability to run it.  That is why the "system" is now failing and why I projected that  Wells would never be a 4 year starter when he started as a Frosh-- lacks  necessary skills for the system and has no running ability to add another dimension.

Recruitng  Hosick reveals a tacit admission that they DON'T have a QB for the system and they     are banking on Hosick fitting in  as a crude replacement . They have the early games to experiment with the QBs and give some  playing time to the Top 2 or 3, hoping that the gamble will pay off. Wells, only because he was the  starter will hold sway unless he is beaten out badly in camp. If he is, then the early games may simply be on the job training, especially against the weenie teams  and they try to find the skills that can be shoehorned into the  "system". FRankly, they have done a poor job of recruiting if they are trying to fit someone into the  "system" instead of building a different system around the players here.

Wells -- limited arm, lacks accuracy, no run skills and puts it up for grabs too often. His first year was a nightmare but opposing players  dropped an astonishing numbers of easy INTs.  Not so his Soph. year and  teams read him as wilting under pressure. They are correct.

Davis -- has much better run skills but they have limited his passing, so that is tough to read.

Garry -- at best , a D-II QB. Senior and offers no future.

Mays -- they won't try to develop  him . Limited skills and again looks like a D-II player. Not good enough to beat any QB on the team . Frosh with a limited upside

Hosick -- depending on WHAT they run, he has some passing AND running skills. However, he is limited  and to  get better production out of the system they employ, Montgomery must tailor the O to fit his skill set. I suspect they will fast track him. They are betting the farm on him. However, there are reasons he was not  grabbed by D-I schools. Translation -- limited abilities.

This however puts them with 1 senior and 3 juniors at QB with a Frosh who isn't going to play here. The next two recruit classes  will have them behind the  8 ball  -- a Frosh is usually  no immediate help  and another Juco  may be the  answer while they look for a Frosh project that might play with some seasoning of a few years  . With two bad recruit classes so far, it will be tough to turn it around.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:02:58 PM by paladin »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »
I listen to the program through a "Rookery Radio" app.  I suspect the Rookery Radio website allows streaming audio, but not sure.

IMO, the competition should be between Davis and Hosick....keeping Wells as QB makes as much sense as keeping Slocum as MBB HC....he's a non-MVFC QB.  It would be nice to see Garry and Mays take snaps in the creampuff games, and definitely in the Red/White game.

I have zero confidence in the OC.  He's shown me poor decision making skills, a poor judge of talent, and a costly stubbornness.   

I think the 2016 schedule is much more difficult than 2015...the DSU's are all away as is ISUr, and WIU is replaced by UNI.  Unless significant upgrades are made at QB....the outcome may be much like 2015.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
Agree , PN. But I'll wait until the pre-season Fall camp to project. It was easy to project losing seasons  with Heacock because     his early classes were so bad and lacked meaningful transfers and Jucos, but currently they are pulling in transfers and recruiting a number of Jucos. That can only tilt the program  for a very limited time ( one season). But a losing season again looks like a possibility I grant  you.

BTW, we were badly outrecruited again by most of the MVFC teams.

So at QB -- Hosick 1st team, Wells 2nd team, Davis 3rd team. Would not be surprised if they try to lure in a D-I transfer either  before camp starts.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
Agree , PN. But I'll wait until the pre-season Fall camp to project. It was easy to project losing seasons  with Heacock because     his early classes were so bad and lacked meaningful transfers and Jucos, but currently they are pulling in transfers and recruiting a number of Jucos. That can only tilt the program  for a very limited time ( one season). But a losing season again looks like a possibility I grant  you.

BTW, we were badly outrecruited again by most of the MVFC teams.

So at QB -- Hosick 1st team, Wells 2nd team, Davis 3rd team. Would not be surprised if they try to lure in a D-I transfer either  before camp starts.

Garry is gone from the program, has transferred out FYI..... I agree with your statements about Mays and Wells. Competition has to be between Davis and Hosick.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »
Nation, unlike you partner in crime, you make some solid points. I just do not agree. Monty is one heck of an OC & has proven it year-after-year. Did we slip in 2015 ...yes. Enough to have his job be called into question? No.

As to QB's:

Well's is a wonderful passer Paladin, have you ever sen him? To say limited ...well Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are limited as well ...so what does that mean? I have seen every play of every game and off-season work as well. Now if you want to say he has a tendency to "telegraph"? Then say that & you have a valid point. Did he push himself & that resulted in forced throws? Perhaps, but he was a lame-duck back there much of the year with the inconsistent front-line support that we gave him.

BTW: you constantly bring up some BS point about the class-rank of our QB's yet you seemed to be 100% in the "JUCO" or "Transfer" camp. So what did you think you were going to get ...a frosh or soph? BTW, there is another QB that will be on the roster ...not certain if he plays QB though. I understand he cannot play spring ball.

This however puts them with 1 senior and 3 juniors at QB with a Frosh who isn't going to play here
1. Did you forget that 2 of those juniors have red-shirts to offer?
2. Garry is a good return because he is our holder.
3. The mere fact that you do not even know the name Nathan Mays pretty much makes your opinion of him meaningless. I guaranty you that you have never seen him even toss the ball one single time. You will be surprised by his ability.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:05:33 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
Nation, unlike you partner in crime, you make some solid points. I just do not agree. Monty is one heck of an OC & has proven it year-after-year. Did we slip in 2015 ...yes. Enough to have his job be called into question? No.

As to QB's:

Well's is a wonderful passer Paladin, have you ever sen him? To say limited ...well Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are limited as well ...so what does that mean? I have seen every play of every game and off-season work as well. Now if you want to say he has a tendency to "telegraph"? Then say that & you have a valid point. Did he push himself & that resulted in forced throws? Perhaps, but he was a lame-duck back there much of the year with the inconsistent front-line support that we gave him.

BTW: you constantly bring up some BS point about the class-rank of our QB's yet you seemed to be 100% in the "JUCO" or "Transfer" camp. So what did you think you were going to get ...a frosh or soph? BTW, there is another QB that will be on the roster ...not certain if he plays QB though. I understand he cannot play spring ball.

This however puts them with 1 senior and 3 juniors at QB with a Frosh who isn't going to play here
1. Did you forget that 2 of those juniors have red-shirts to offer?
2. Garry is a good return because he is our holder.
3. The mere fact that you do not even know the name Nathan Mays pretty much makes your opinion of him meaningless. I guaranty you that you have never seen him even toss the ball one single time. You will be surprised by his ability.
This is a very good post. I don't know Wells personally, but he can make throws at the FCS level that few can. You don't finish second for freshman of the year in the Missouri and 5th nationally by accident. A large part of his struggles this past season were do in part to not having the pieces around him. Any Qb will press with a make shift line , a power running game that is non-existent and receivers that have a ton of drops. That was one reason Ricky was inserted -to try and take pressure off. The coaching staff has addressed some of those needs for who ever the quarterback may be. Trent will not be able to run like he did in the Juco ranks and remain healthy ..He needs to show the staff he can make all the throws and make good decisions against Missouri conference defenses if he wants to become the starter..this will be very interesting..I've heard since the signing of Hosick..two FBS programs have inquired about Wells
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:55:21 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »

Check out these stats:  http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/21

How does a team with the #1 pass D, and #7 total D go 5-6?  It's the same reason we had one first down in the second half versus NDSU.  We were not even in the top 50 in total offense or passing offense.  Who 's the QB coach? He's just as awful as the OC  :D   

If six years is not enough for him to install his offense, then how many years will it take?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2016, 09:38:03 PM »
Who is waiting for us to install it? I am waiting for the football IQ's to keep coming up so we can run it once again. Say if we are never going to mix things up again, then why bother? IF we continue to recruit "athletes" instead of players, then we are never going to amount to anything on offense. BTW, don't expect those defensive numbers next year ...we will no longer be "new". I could not agree more with you on the NDSU game, but again the idea of getting rid of the OC never even enters my mind. I see coach Montgomery as the solution ...not the problem.

In 2013, after we dummied down the first time, we still had the #2 red-zone offense and the #24 scoring offense ...only 5 teams above us made the play-off. It took me a while to realize the every play Montgomery calls is designed to score; but after I saw it work, I have been sold ever since ...but these last two years have not been what we had done in the past. FYI: we had more second-half offensive performance last year than normal. I will say it again, if we average 36-points a game and you have complaints about the offense? I do not care if we score all 36 in the first dang quarter ... you better win that football game.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:46:02 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2016, 06:29:28 PM »
Wells plays in the best FCS league.  Wells probably had the most dropped balls  in the league and probably FCS.  Did anybody see the Championship game. Jacksonville St. QB got handled and he tore it up before that.  He was a dual threat QB.  Wells isn't the whole problem.  Our special teams killed us.  Our D didn't hold up in crucial situations and our O line was reduced to playing how many different guys.  Wells is better than we think.  He wasn't horrible against Pitt.  He wasn't horrible against the top 2 teams in our league.  Is he a statue yes.  Does our offense fit his talents no.  As for arm strength he makes the throws.  He is he a wet ball QB .  I would say no.  But there isn't a better mid to long ball thrower in our league than him.  How many times did #80 not catch the deep ball.  Pally u claim you haven't been to any games right.  How can you say he can't throw.  Something happened to his mechanics on the short stuff.  If we didn't have replay we beat Illinois St.  If we had special teams we beat the Bison.  How many times did the punter shank it.  He's a local kid nobody is b****in about that.  If Ricky Davis could throw and read a defense don't you think they would give him more reps.  This isn't high school.  Hosick was a 4 star recruit right and Pally no more than Missouri and BYU and Jesus himself give me a break!  Go back to coaching midget football.  Lol!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2016, 07:03:11 PM »
With the same variables as Wells (porous O line, receivers with hands of stone, penalties negating great plays, etc), Davis has a higher passing efficiency than Wells (although the sample sizes are vastly different). 

Davis had zero interceptions, pick 6 had 7. 

Davis, despite very limited playing time, was YSU's third leading rusher in 2015 with 195 yards.  How many rushing yards did pick 6 have? Minus 44! 

Rushing TDs? Davis: 4 (only Jody Webb had more).  Wells: zero.

I don't believe the premise that if Shane picks pick 6, then pick 6 must be the best QB we have.  Maybe he sucks as OC and QB coach.

Hosick has an impressive resume, and I think we'll see good things from him.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2016, 07:36:17 PM »
Your stats are flawed. Davis was usually in on sure running downs and Wells was in on long yardage situations.  If you want to give somebody a nickname why don't we call him O.J since all he could do is run. Davis will never be more than what he is now a change of pace QB.  Pelini went out and addressed the situation and hopefully Wells and Davis step up THEY both dissapointed last year and that is why we had to go out and get somebody.  I laugh every time you through out your BS stats on Davis was the better QB.  His sample size is way too small to make any conclusions.  I think they need to convert him to a RB or a WR to use his athletic ability. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »
Your stats are flawed.   

They're not my stats.  They are stats from YSU and the MVFC. 

If you want to give somebody a nickname why don't we call him O.J since all he could do is run.

Agreed.  Henceforth, #12 will now be referred to as "The Juice." 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2016, 07:59:35 PM »
All good! The juice it is😀!
A Penguin for life!!!