Author Topic: 2016 Recruting  (Read 169979 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »
I'm going to give Hosick the benefit of the doubt since he has yet to take a snap at YSU. He appears to be a great leader and a very good kid with a strong christian faith. The one thing I do know is teams need a strong passing game in this conference in order to win. Keep in mind Hosick had about a 50% completion rate and was picked off once in every 17 attempts against poor competition in the Juco ranks for his career. Wells on the other hand is about a 57% passer and throws about 1 interception in every 30+ attempts. It sounds like Bo is willing to give up success in the passing game for a quarterback who can run..be careful what you wish for, but I do like the fact competition was added at that position. Trent still has a steep learning curve ahead of him.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »
Will Mahone will be on the roster this year. Welcome!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2016, 08:17:55 AM »
I'm going to give Hosick the benefit of the doubt since he has yet to take a snap at YSU. He appears to be a great leader and a very good kid with a strong christian faith. The one thing I do know is teams need a strong passing game in this conference in order to win. Keep in mind Hosick had about a 50% completion rate and was picked off once in every 17 attempts against poor competition in the Juco ranks for his career. Wells on the other hand is about a 57% passer and throws about 1 interception in every 30+ attempts. It sounds like Bo is willing to give up success in the passing game for a quarterback who can run..be careful what you wish for, but I do like the fact competition was added at that position. Trent still has a steep learning curve ahead of him.

This is where our O-Coordinator shows he is as good as advertized. He should be able to coach him up and put him in situations tailored to his skills.

Come on guys, please convince me of what I just typed  :-\

PLEASE

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
This is also why I was against bringing in a short-timer. Luckily he has not red-shirted so he has 2-years. However, we need to be realistic, Montgomery is going to have to keep his offense dummied-down once again. Then again, the way Wells played last year ...that probably would have been the case anyway. If we can just get a short-yardage back, we can open up so much of the field

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:57 AM »
This is also why I was against bringing in a short-timer. Luckily he has not red-shirted so he has 2-years. However, we need to be realistic, Montgomery is going to have to keep his offense dummied-down once again. Then again, the way Wells played last year ...that probably would have been the case anyway. If we can just get a short-yardage back, we can open up so much of the field

Ryan Moore showed promise here in limited duty. Hopefully he returns next season and fills that role.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2016, 07:34:57 AM »
Finally...Someone got it right!! Hopefully Moore will be back. I heard in Bo's comments he plans on posibly using Devon McNutt as a back that can run in between the tackles

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2016, 12:59:13 PM »
Ryan Moore is a beast!  He can run, block and catch.  He tore his ACL during spring practice and has been working out and watching his diet closely.  I thought he got a medical redshirt - not so?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2016, 02:00:46 PM »
Ryan Moore is a beast!  He can run, block and catch.  He tore his ACL during spring practice and has been working out and watching his diet closely.  I thought he got a medical redshirt - not so?

I recall hearing that before the season, not 100% sure

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2016, 02:46:19 PM »

IAA

This is the third year that I have heard you reference Montgomery "is going to have to keep his offense dummied-down."  I get it that you are a big fan of Montgomery and probably have some inside information so I ask you this:  Is Montgomery part of the recruiting process?  Seems to me as OC, he would have a great deal of say so in building a program (offense) around his skills.  If it is the case that we can't recruit an O-line, RB's, QB or receivers to fit his style then is it possible that he needs to change his 'style' and not so much "dummy-down?"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »
I too really liked what I saw from Moore. He reminds you of a Marcus Mason ...really packs a punch, but most of what I saw was with/against the #2's ...then the ACL hit before we really knew, but clearly he has skills.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2016, 08:55:01 AM »
I like Moore a lot, but he was 200# and 200# doesn't give you what 230#does is short yardage.  Even if his leg is healthy, if he hasn't built up to at the very least 220 225, then we still have a need.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »
Interesting radio show, "Ricky and Roth", on Rookery radio at 8 am on Wednesdays.  Nice, although guarded, insight from YSU players.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »
Interesting radio show, "Ricky and Roth", on Rookery radio at 8 am on Wednesdays.  Nice, although guarded, insight from YSU players.

I love their show. Very cool.  :)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2016, 10:31:23 AM »

I love their show. Very cool.  :)

They really work well together and were very comfortable on the air.  I must admit, however, that I got really bummed when they spoke as if #6 is the presumed starter in 2016.  If that actually happens I may have to break stuff.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »
Yeah PN I don't think you go the JUCO route to fill the bench. A competition has to be expected.