Author Topic: FCS 2015 Playoffs. Did I really see this?  (Read 33058 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: FCS 2015 Playoffs. Did I really see this?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 10:23:38 PM »
I had not had a chance until a little while ago to view the bracket. Needless to say I was very sick to my stomach. That is a sham of a playoff bracket. No WAY all 5 MVFC teams should have been on the same side, and no way should there be so many possibilities of a 2nd round rematch! HELL NDSU is GUARANTEED a 2nd round rematch as their potential opponents are SDSU and Montana!

As a non NDSU fan, but a MVFC fan, on the off chance montana beats SDSU I feel that a Montana NDSU rematch in Fargo will go NDSUs way and is probably the most interesting rematch on the bracket. Even the non MVFC rematch games are bad though. Look at Richmond. Possible rematch round 2. What would that make it, 3 weeks difference between playing a team in the regular season and playing the SAME team in the playoffs?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 10:24:27 PM »
Oh cool! Well, I am still currently a STEM student. I got my BE in electrical engineering undergrad there. I'm currently a grad student working on my master's (Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering).
Good. You are one of Jalali, Pasino, Dr. M's boys. Great department... With Dr. J & Dr. Phil.

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 08:05:43 AM »
What should make everyone sick is that 5 MVFC teams got in, Western Ill. was one of them with a 6-5 record, and YSU wasnt one of the 5.  Blown leads in the fourth quarter cost YSU a playoff appearence and spared this board all of the resulting angst. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »
Duquesne, Dayton, and toothpaste are all in  :D

WIU @ 6-5 travels to Dayton this should be fun.

UNI might get a W vs EIU ;)

SDSU goes to Montana $$$$

My question is;  "IF" YSU had the coaching staff and talent to beat ISU (b) would they have gotten in over 6-5 WIU ???
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:37:56 AM by ysubigred »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »

My question is;  "IF" YSU had the coaching staff and tallent to beat ISU (b) would they have gotten in over 6-5 WIU ???

Toothpaste 😂

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »

My question is;  "IF" YSU had the coaching staff and talent to beat ISU (b) would they have gotten in over 6-5 WIU ???

No.  We only get in if we win the conference auto bid.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:57:35 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 09:08:01 AM »
The final SRS:

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system

Three teams below YSU in the post-season, including at-large UNH.

I think if YSU won against the Trees, one of two things wouldve happened:

1) YSU gets in w/ WIU spot (YSU beat WIU in reg season), or...

2)  Both YSU and WIU get in (6 MVFC teams in) and UNH is out.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
The final SRS:

SRS LOL!! Dartmouth #2 and Harvard #4 just saying this is really a jacked up ranking.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:27 AM »
The final SRS:

SRS LOL!! Dartmouth #2 and Harvard #4 just saying this is really a jacked up ranking.

It's a joke.  They obviously don't even use it when making selections. 

Dartmouth ahead of NDSU??? BWAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA  ;D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »
I "used" to be the biggest supporter of the playoff's at our level.

1. The playoff are boring and no one cares.

2. Regionalization sucks.

3. Bidding on a home game for $$ to the NCAA sucks!

4. Auto Bids are bad!

"IF most of you forgot I'll explain how a true championship and playoff should work.

Take the 24 best team's period. Let the conferences reward the champs. Seed teams 1-8 for the bye week. Seed 9-24 for the rest of the field, the higher seeds get home game.

The way it's set up now the 24th team that has an alumni with $$ gets a home game over the 9th seed! Stop the region crap "IF" 12 is in FL and 13 is in WA state so be it.

Bottom line: 1FCS is a money pit for most schools anyways so these home game bidding is nuts. Also not many people outside the 1FCS community watch these games anymore since they are all on ESPN ?? Need to bring these games back to network TV (CBS) or air them on the regular ESPN or Fox SN channels.

That is all,,, Carry on..

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 07:49:59 PM »
Oh cool! Well, I am still currently a STEM student. I got my BE in electrical engineering undergrad there. I'm currently a grad student working on my master's (Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering).
Good. You are one of Jalali, Pasino, Dr. M's boys. Great department... With Dr. J & Dr. Phil.

Yep! I just got home from one of Dr. M's classes actually. But I love YSU's EE department.

Offline penguin8797

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »

4. Auto Bids are bad!

"IF most of you forgot I'll explain how a true championship and playoff should work.

Take the 24 best team's period. Let the conferences reward the champs. Seed teams 1-8 for the bye week. Seed 9-24 for the rest of the field, the higher seeds get home game.

The way it's set up now the 24th team that has an alumni with $$ gets a home game over the 9th seed! Stop the region crap "IF" 12 is in FL and 13 is in WA state so be it.

Bottom line: 1FCS is a money pit for most schools anyways so these home game bidding is nuts. Also not many people outside the 1FCS community watch these games anymore since they are all on ESPN ?? Need to bring these games back to network TV (CBS) or air them on the regular ESPN or Fox SN channels.

...Except 16 teams was the perfect number. Anything more is getting into NBA/NHL territory.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »

4. Auto Bids are bad!

...Except 16 teams was the perfect number. Anything more is getting into NBA/NHL territory.

I am sure that it will come as no surprise to anyone, but 1AA (FCS) and its playoff system is a complete joke. This year’s bracket arraignment aside, every year there are teams that just do not belong.  Dayton and the Dukes. The problem is how it is determined who belongs and who does not. Way too much politics involved and sadly politics will be the reason that the problem is never fixed.

I refuse to believe that a power ranking system cannot be established that would rank all schools. Take the top 16 and that is it. About week 8-9 start printing the standings and that is it.

No auto bids – zero. Start rewarding teams for having a great SOS and you will be amazed how fast schools will be upgrading their schedule. Stop penalizing schools from the tougher leagues that knock each other off. Granted the MVFC has been represented well the last couple of years, other years not so much.

I would like to see 1 hosting 16, 2 - 15 and so on but understand that other factors will come into play, such as does the hosting school's facilities meet a minimum standard maybe neither teams do. Can be worked out.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »
Except there are many more FCS teams than the NHL and NBA. There are 125 fcs teams this year. With 24 making it, only 19.2 percent of teams make the playoffs. That is better than the top 20% make the playoffs. Number is higher in pro leagues. I don't think 24 is a bad number though (oh and at 16 teams making its the top 12.8% make it). Well, i guess I can't say top because rankings are .... yeah so 19.2 percent make it as is and 12.8 percent made it before.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
Taking it a step further, it is ridiculous to have the MVFC (with schools that have beaten P5 schools) and non-scholly conferences in the same division. The Dayton Rule needs to be modified, and then dissolve the FCS.  Merge G5 with a few full scholly FCS conferences, and the rest join D2.  Then have playoffs or bowls for the merged G5/FCS...or both.