Author Topic: YSU Football ends at 5-6. What now?  (Read 15601 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Football ends at 5-6. What now?
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:56:13 PM »
Very disappointed.  Thoughts?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU Football ends at 5-6. What now?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »
don't waste your time with a decent thread, it will be infested with people who do not realize I can see their IP addresses & that most are the same person. Yet his solution is always the same ...worthless.

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »
Here is what should be next: Real discussion by AD to look at leaving MVFC  If we went to CAA I think it could be a good start for more butts in the seats.  As far what is next for the team: new OC, New QB and for adding talent to special teams.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »
We're not leaving MVFC, so forget that idea!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 11:05:44 PM »
Fire OC. 

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 01:46:04 AM »
Drop down to D2.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 07:44:47 AM »
As I see it we were competitive in all but the SDSU game.  Special teams and offence need some changes but we could have easily won 2 or three more. Changes are needed and 2016 should be a good year

ytowngirl

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:00:28 AM »
Here is what should be next: Real discussion by AD to look at leaving MVFC  If we went to CAA I think it could be a good start for more butts in the seats.  As far what is next for the team: new OC, New QB and for adding talent to special teams.

This is exactly what should happen.  The MVFC is the downfall of YSU and we will never compete year in and year out with the top teams.  NDSU has no problem recruiting even after a head coaching change.

Offline YGUINSNO1

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
Where can I find future scheduling. ...thank you

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »

This is exactly what should happen.  The MVFC is the downfall of YSU and we will never compete year in and year out with the top teams.  NDSU has no problem recruiting even after a head coaching change.

You can't be the best if you can't beat the best.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »
Such a disappointing year.  Did we not easily have the talent to finish 7-4 at the absolute worst?  I know it was a standard company line, but reading comments from the players before the ISU game bothered me.

"We are getting better"  "We are making progress"??

What?
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »
We all know what needs to happen....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »
stop looking for quick solutions.

- Jones would be a terrible grab for YSU. If (and that is HUGE if) we needed a transfer QB, it would not be a 1-year guy.

- Firing your OC is also another hopeful quick fix ...stupid solution. Then you will expect some big-named guy (like the fatman) to waltz in and create miracles; firing him after 1-year when he doesn't. Everyone has seen YSU offenses at the top of the conference for several years & knows what coach M can do.

- I expect several things in the off-season:

1. Montgomery and Bricillo better recruit no less than 2 more OL people that can contribute. This is the one area that we might be able to use a couple of transfers. We need depth. Get JUCO guys or IA transfers with 2-years of eligibility remaining.

2. I expect a full-back in camp. You can find one that catches the ball.

3. I expect to see more depth in the defensive game preparation and some depth. The previous staff destroyed our top-ranked defense put in place by coach H. So, we must now start over. Start from scratch with a base defense and work to improve. NO QUICK FIXES! Focusing on an opposing team's strengths is not developing a defense. It just gets you embarrassed when an opposing team makes minor shift's in offense and kilss you with big plays. Good defense cannot be all or nothing, they have to adapt ...far, far, far more than the offense.

4. We need to develop more of an over the top or crossing pass game on offense, yes I know this starts with the line and QB, but I am hoping with Montgomery, Carm and Pearson we can get this worked out.

5. HIRE A SPECIAL TEAMS COACH !!!!!! You cannot even show me one on the roster. 2 dang defensive coordinators and no special teams coach? Gee can you tell?

6. We have good receivers, but we lose stubbs, disher and wiliams ...no time to waste.

7. We lose zaborsky and kromah ...we need some people up front on D. Assuming we recover from injuries ...we have only 3.

Just a few things off the top of my head. I will develop more when the season is further behind me.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:09:04 PM by IAA Fan »

ytowngirl

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »

You can't be the best if you can't beat the best.

That's really gotten YSU far since they came into the league.  When you have 4 to 6 loses a year in a tough league this will continue to happen.  The travel is too much and people aren't interested in watching the Dakota schools.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »
Since we joined this conference it's been our Achilles to a slow death to mediocrity.  With the addition of all the Dakotas to the conference it has hurt us even more.  For one we don't recruit THEIR states and we don't have any rivalries and can't travel to the games.  So all we are to them is a slot on the schedule.  Officiating is poor and the TV network sucks.  We are being used and honestly I think they could careless if we stayed.  We need to go CAA OVC or NEC.  NEC we would be the big fish and maybe we could find a couple schools to join with us. 
A Penguin for life!!!