Author Topic: YSU Football ends at 5-6. What now?  (Read 15780 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Football ends at 5-6. What now?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »
As I see it we were competitive in all but the SDSU game.  Special teams and offence need some changes but we could have easily won 2 or three more. Changes are needed and 2016 should be a good year

I agree with this post. Do not panic, do not rush into anything, review the year, identify the weaknesses and then make any and all changes to improve the team.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 06:27:44 PM »
looking forward to 2016 some observations

#1 we need a QB transfer. With Nebraska pushing out Pelinis QB's maybe we can get one to come here to start

#2 Our Offense has been subpar. You could argue its coaching or execution but I dont think its arguable that our offensive line has taken a step back with wolford gone (understandably)

#3 Ruiz needs to get healthy. He was a step slow all year and I suspect it has to do with the injury at the Pitt game never fully healing but we need 2 healthy running backs

#4 With the senior leadership on defense (best defensive team we have had in years) its important to get in talents (secondary and linebacker) to help prevent a regression in play)

Personally I wish we would go away from the spread offense and go to a pro set but this is a personal preference

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »
looking forward to 2016 some observations

#1 we need a QB transfer. With Nebraska pushing out Pelinis QB's maybe we can get one to come here to start

#2 Our Offense has been subpar. You could argue its coaching or execution but I dont think its arguable that our offensive line has taken a step back with wolford gone (understandably)

#3 Ruiz needs to get healthy. He was a step slow all year and I suspect it has to do with the injury at the Pitt game never fully healing but we need 2 healthy running backs

#4 With the senior leadership on defense (best defensive team we have had in years) its important to get in talents (secondary and linebacker) to help prevent a regression in play)

Personally I wish we would go away from the spread offense and go to a pro set but this is a personal preference

Best post of the year

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
I am very optimistic for the future and for next year.

I think going into next season, the number one priority is our offensive line depth issues. If that is fixed, it will fix a majority of our woes.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »
I really like the post as well DoubleE. Although I am not so certain that you can call Montgomery's offense a true spread. The reason that I like it is because it keeps the basic elements of a pro-set, with the addition of misdirection.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 08:55:08 PM »
I thought that the D was better then it has been for years. Needs to cut down on some of those big plays they gave up but headed in the right direction.

The O took a step back, o-line not up to where it needed to be, qb position same thing. In several games the O did not produce when it had to.

Mixed thoughts on the special teams, coverage was just ok. I was very happy with the FG kicking, did not expect it. One pet peeve of mine that needs to improve is kick offs, I want to see every kick into the end-zone.

Lastly I would like to see our players develop more of a confident attitude, mental toughness.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 10:40:25 AM »
OL depth was an issue all season.  Nobody can play effectively with 3 centers in a season.  You can't coach health, you also can't recruit health, but we definitely need some depth upfront.  We could also use a power back too.  "Everybody" came at us with a 230+ powder back and it is tough to stop a guy like that running from the TB position.  Everybody says Moore is looking great and with much more powder, so hopefully.....
I'm not a "fire the coach" every time things go bad.  We KNOW JT knows winning football.  We also KNOW Bo knows winning football.  We were 2 4th quarter letdowns from the playoffs, and so not that far away.  Alexander Rivers, both young LBs mean the core of a MUCH better defense is back and should get even better.  I think an honest review of the platooned QB's did NOT work and Davis simply doesn't help.  For one thing, although he is a better runner than Hunter, he isn't a good runner.  Look at the guys that we faced vs. Ricky, it was no comparison.  For my money you get a stud recruit of build around Wells.  Transfers for a season are a waste of a season.  They transfer "down" because they can't play and so we've had 3-5 over the years and none contributed.  Alexander is the best transfer we've ever had.  I can't think of another guy that transferred and contributed significantly.  JC guys yes, but not transfers.   Maybe one of those JC OL tackles like Mady would be about right!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »
After missing the playoffs by only 1 win the last 4 seasons, I thought for sure Bo would get them into the playoffs, so I am disappointed with year 1 of the regime.  The defense definitely improved, but still gave up too many big plays.  Unfortunately the offense took a step back.  Very inconsistent and too many turnovers, especially the ones that went for TDs.  I still believe Bo will make this team a consistent playoff participant.  Will be interesting to see what happens between now and spring practice.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
I predicted a 7-4 pre-season but changed that in mid-season to 5-6. Was on the money. I changed because I realized thast coaching had been overblown and hyped. Most expected an 8-3 record because of Bo. I dropped down one game because of his annual blowing of at least one game annually at   Nebraska.  Because Bo's first class was a stinker as I view it, the next class has to be gold or the losing seasons here will start to pile up, just as they did under Heacock. QB and special teams is a problem. Bo needs to SHUT his mouth and try not to choke in a game  (which he did often at Nebraska ). However, next years schedule looks like a repeat -- 2 weenies, WVU and then the MVFC with UNI on the schedule. Until Bo actually coaches better ( and recruits better), even with a lot of talent coming back, I don't see great things for YSU.

In fact, it can get worse.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
I predicted a 7-4 pre-season but changed that in mid-season to 5-6. Was on the money. I changed because I realized thast coaching had been overblown and hyped. Most expected an 8-3 record because of Bo. I dropped down one game because of his annual blowing of at least one game annually at   Nebraska.  Because Bo's first class was a stinker as I view it, the next class has to be gold or the losing seasons here will start to pile up, just as they did under Heacock. QB and special teams is a problem. Bo needs to SHUT his mouth and try not to choke in a game  (which he did often at Nebraska ). However, next years schedule looks like a repeat -- 2 weenies, WVU and then the MVFC with UNI on the schedule. Until Bo actually coaches better ( and recruits better), even with a lot of talent coming back, I don't see great things for YSU.

In fact, it can get worse.

Okay, so now that you had your customary YSU slam & unwarranted self-gratification ...as the thread is titled ...now what? Try being specific. Coaching changes, staff changes, player changes. Recruiting class stinks? tell who and why? What would you recruit for 2015-16?

"...In fact, it can get worse".
  Could you be anymore generic?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:25:45 PM by IAA Fan »