Author Topic: YSU @ ISUb 11/20 1:05 pm  (Read 26712 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU @ ISUb 11/20 1:05 pm
« on: November 18, 2015, 07:33:27 PM »
Reviewing MVFC stats, ISUb generally falls in the middle of the pack in most categories.  An exception is that ISUb is the most penalized MVFC team, average over 70 yards lost in penalties/game.  Also, ISUb has the most sacks against, average 3.9 sacks/game.

ISU b (2-5/4-6) beat SIU 39-36, who we lost to in OT.

From YSUsports.com: 

"YSU has won 20 of the 24 all-time meetings in the series, but the Sycamores have won three of the last five meetings, including a 27-24 overtime win at Stambaugh Stadium in 2014. At Memorial Stadium in Terre Haute, YSU is 11-1 with the lone loss coming in 2011 (30-24). The Guins won the last time the two teams played in Terre Haute, 35-24, battling through two lightning delays. Ten of the 24 meetings have been decided by a touchdown or less."

Massey:  YSU with a 66% chance of victory with a predicted score of 34-28.

5dimes:  YSU -6  O/U:   55

From gosycamores.com

"Sophomore QB Matt Adam took the reigns of ISU’s starting job minutes before the season opener vs. Butler on Sept. 5, and hasn’t looked back. His 2,055 yard season this year is already the sixth-best passing season in Sycamore history."

"Senior WR Gary Owens and junior WR Robert Tonyan Jr. put up another impressive performance against Western Illinois on Saturday, combining for 13 receptions for 147 yards. On the year, the duo has combined for 75 receptions, 1,130 yards and 14 TDs and during their two years together as receivers at ISU they have combined for 198 catches for 2,692 yards and 23 scores. Both have tied the single-game receiving touchdown record of three scores in a game this season, and both are encroaching on the single-season season (eight) and all-time career (15) touchdown records."

"Following a season in which ISU made the SportsCenter Top-10 for its “Circle of Death” trick play, Indiana State has scored on four different trick plays this season."

"Youngstown State comes to Terre Haute this weekend on the cusp of a potential bid to the FCS Playoffs   :) at 5-5 overall and 3-4 in conference play."
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ ISUb 11/20 1:05 pm
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:51:19 PM »
tOSU took Whisky to the woodshed 59-0 in the BIG title game in December 2014, and the College Football Playoff selection committee was so impressed that tOSU was selected to enter the playoffs.

I believe that if YSU similarly wallops the Trees, the effort will be noticed by the FCS ADs comprising the selection committee.  YSU would be the fifth MVFC team selected, with the same # of at-large invitations as last year (ISUb was invited with a 4-4/7-5 record).

A long shot, but possible nonetheless.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »
Could be tough putting up many points with the weather. Rain should end in the morning but 30mph winds are forecasted for the entire game. FCS playoff selection will air live on Sunday @11 on ESPNU

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:23:48 PM »
last time I checked you needed 7, but stranger things have happened. Beside you know darn well that ESPN wants to cover Coach P.  ;)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 08:48:12 PM »
A win by South Dakota and Western Illinois would help our cause..still a long shot..This is what makes the Southern loss so difficult to take. We would more then likely be assured with a win over Indiana st and them without knocking off one of the top 3 in the conference

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
tOSU took Whisky to the woodshed 59-0 in the BIG title game in December 2014, and the College Football Playoff selection committee was so impressed that tOSU was selected to enter the playoffs.

I believe that if YSU similarly wallops the Trees, the effort will be noticed by the FCS ADs comprising the selection committee.  YSU would be the fifth MVFC team selected, with the same # of at-large invitations as last year (ISUb was invited with a 4-4/7-5 record).

A long shot, but possible nonetheless.

I like the enthusiasm, not so sure we are even worthy. I think we looked pretty good against Ill St and NDSU, but other games not so much.

I am curious to see how the team responds this week, my hope is that they rally around each other and come out with something to prove. Time will tell.

Nice to see they are prone to sacks.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »
Let Ricky play the entire game.  Time to find out what he can do.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »
Let Ricky play the entire game.  Time to find out what he can do.

No.  We are not technically out of it.  If we curb stomp them it may get us in

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 03:27:39 PM »
You serious ?  ;D ;D ;D

YSU is NOT going to the playoffs.    NDS, ILS and SDS are in.  UNI ? Maybe . Bo sealed their fate with last week-ends embarrassing episode.

Its delusional around here now !

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
You serious ?  ;D ;D ;D

YSU is NOT going to the playoffs.    NDS, ILS and SDS are in.  UNI ? Maybe . Bo sealed their fate with last week-ends embarrassing episode.

There is a really small chance.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 04:37:10 PM »
You serious ?  ;D ;D ;D

Also we are ranked 17 in GPI which has been used by committee to measure team strength.  If we win, we will move up in the GPI.  Also the MEAC spot is now available because they are not going to participate in the playoffs.  Given that the MVFC is the best conference by a long shot and we should get at least 5 teams.  Remember they took a 6 win Sam Houston State team a year ago. If we smash Indiana State we have a chance. I have seen stranger from the committee.  Our losses were close and competitive (except against the bunnies)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:39:41 PM by penguinpower »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 07:08:29 PM »
Still were a better team then 5 loss Indiana st. from a year ago. When St.Francis beats Duquesne this Saturday and gets the auto bid that will be hard to take. 7-3 Citadel is still considered a at large possibly and play South Carolina this Saturday. Yes Fan what better way for ESPN to get exposure considering their financial difficulties

ValleyTalk

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »
Although if we win Saturday convincingly, there is no doubt we will have a higher GPI than quite a few 7-4 at-large teams in the field that we would have no problem beating up on. I am sure ESPN was hoping we could host a game for the Bo Show.

Regardless, I am looking forward to this game Saturday. I am expecting this team to be fired up and win by 14.

GO GUINS

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 10:09:08 PM »
Kiss playoffs goodbye.