Author Topic: Lets be clear about this  (Read 29830 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Lets be clear about this
« on: November 15, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »
My take on Bo.

Why do opposing teams give a rats tail about Bo, why take shots at him, why question his motives for being at YSU? Do they care that much for YSU that they want someone better for us, Yea I am sure that is it. Let's be real, they simply do not want Bo here because he is a good coach.

Most of us have no idea what all happened at Nebraska and maybe that is for the best. I am a fan of the John Wooden approach but that is not his style.

I admire his stated reasons for being in Y-town, hard to argue his intentions for his family.

How will the players respond, how will the powers to be respond and how will Bo respond. That is our concern, our business.

Bottom line is that only time will tell how history will treat him, but at this time I am glad he is here and am excited about the future.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be clear about this
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
+1

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »
He is a good coach that's why all the B.S. There is a lot  of misinformation that's thrown out there and they hope it sticks.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »
he is not a good coach.  and I am qualified to say this as a Minnesota gophers season ticket holder and watching Nebraska ALOT  the last 4-5 years.   plus his behavior is idiotic at best.

Nebraska screwed up with the contract, but it really helps Youngstown money wise, so I don't blame you at all for having him for 2-3 years.

good luck.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 08:52:48 PM »
IMO, there is much resentment toward YSU.  IDK why....maybe jealousy for earlier success?  I think landing a BIG HC who in 7 seasons never lost <9 games just stokes that jealousy. 

As far as his tirades, I will concede that it diminished the likelihood of getting a FG on the final drive, and that is somewhat troublesome.  The officiating was flawed, and he should let his objections be heard.  It is D1 football, not a girls dance recital.  Shouting at officials doesn't hurt anything.  The officials will be ok.

I still believe that recruitment in the off-season will address the deficiencies in special teams and on the offense, and better days are ahead.  My hope is that when he leaves (likely after the 2018 season), his brother becomes HC.

We were very close to getting the mediocre HC from EKU.  Thank God we have BP instead.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline TennBison

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 09:11:57 PM »
He is a good coach that's why all the B.S. There is a lot  of misinformation that's thrown out there and they hope it sticks.
There might be some misinformation out there, but his problem is that there is so much actual true information that lies about him don't need to be made up. He had a epic meltdown aimed at the Nebraska fan base where some of his anger was about the lack of support he thought the team and him were not getting, and his microphone was on when he went on a F bomb tirade basically saying the fans suck as well as his bosses. And that was aimed at a college where they hold what 80+ k and sell out every game and throw more money at the football program than almost any college out there. Yeah I am sure he is just all peaches and cream when he gets home every night from his job at YSU with what, 5,000 people at a do or die game at home against the defending national champs. The second that Nebraska money runs out he is probably out the door looking for a better gig. The BS that he did at Nebraska is documented no ifs about it. Sure you got him for a deal, makes you wonder why Nebraska was willing to let him go doesn't it.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »
OK so there are a lot of Pelini haters out there.
Exactly who was available at the time that would have been so much better
and would have come here for the money YSU had to offer?
I have heard there were "a lot of up and coming coaches" that would have loved this job,
but who are they and how much better are they?
Tirades asides, there have been improvements in the team.  Unfortunately just baby steps when
what we could use is leaps and bounds.
I am sure you can get detractors from any fan base about their coach for one reason or another.
The fact is, Bo is here and like it or not, we will have to wait to see if he brings back a winning tradition.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 09:44:14 PM »

I should have added that the visiting fans sit near to me, Bo is favorite subject during the games, really seems to rub them that he is here. It is rather humorous.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:17:21 PM by guinpen »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 10:06:29 PM »
There might be some misinformation out there, but his problem is that there is so much actual true information that lies about him don't need to be made up. He had a epic meltdown aimed at the Nebraska fan base where some of his anger was about the lack of support he thought the team and him were not getting, and his microphone was on when he went on a F bomb tirade basically saying the fans suck as well as his bosses. And that was aimed at a college where they hold what 80+ k and sell out every game and throw more money at the football program than almost any college out there. Yeah I am sure he is just all peaches and cream when he gets home every night from his job at YSU with what, 5,000 people at a do or die game at home against the defending national champs. The second that Nebraska money runs out he is probably out the door looking for a better gig. The BS that he did at Nebraska is documented no ifs about it. Sure you got him for a deal, makes you wonder why Nebraska was willing to let him go doesn't it.

Should there have been more people at the game, sure, but not because who we were playing, no one really cares about Dakota schools around here. More people should show up because YSU is playing. As has been posted a thousand times any football in the state of OHIO is a hard sell unless it is Ohio State. It will take a couple of years of winning to get the crowds back.

Ok TennBison, be honest, why the heck do you even care about Bo, I mean what about him has you on an opposing teams site making posts about him and his time at Nebraska? 

I know you will read this so fess up, why the Bo obsession?

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »
Screw everyone and what they think about Bo...he is our coach and will turn this thing around sooner than most people think.  That is what they are afraid of.  His hatred of officials is well documented.  He holds nothing back and we knew that when we got him.  I really don't care what NDSU fans think of him and what he did in the past.  If you know anything about how Nebraska fans treated his wife and family while there you would know why he left.  When you coach in a place where all they have is Nebraska football you have fanatical aholes.  We have OSU, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cavs, Indians, Pirates, Pitt Penguins, etc...all within 2 hours...YSU football is important to this area but it is not the most important thing...give it time and we will see that change. 

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 10:17:17 PM »
Screw everyone and what they think about Bo...he is our coach and will turn this thing around sooner than most people think.  That is what they are afraid of.  His hatred of officials is well documented.  He holds nothing back and we knew that when we got him.  I really don't care what NDSU fans think of him and what he did in the past.  If you know anything about how Nebraska fans treated his wife and family while there you would know why he left.  When you coach in a place where all they have is Nebraska football you have fanatical aholes.  We have OSU, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cavs, Indians, Pirates, Pitt Penguins, etc...all within 2 hours...YSU football is important to this area but it is not the most important thing...give it time and we will see that change. 

GO GUINS

Curious how Pelini's wife and kids were treated at Nebraska.  What stories have you heard?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 10:29:03 PM »
he is not a good coach.  and I am qualified to say this as a Minnesota gophers season ticket holder and watching Nebraska ALOT  the last 4-5 years.   plus his behavior is idiotic at best.

Nebraska screwed up with the contract, but it really helps Youngstown money wise, so I don't blame you at all for having him for 2-3 years.

good luck.

Not sure what you can mean by him not being a good coach, certainly if you just look at wins he is a good coach. You being a Minnesota season ticket holder should understand better then most how hard it is to win 9 - 10 games a year at that level. What do you think of the Minn coaches if you think Bo is bad?

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 12:42:43 AM »
I HATE the Minnesota coaches,  wish they would've brought in a big name instead of that crappie flopper KILL and now the koolaid man.  argh.

pelini/Nebraska

Nebraska is 5-6 this year *(with bo's recruits)

Pelini left at 9-4 record for his last 2 years.
10-4 in 2012

28-12 at Nebraska is Horsesh** in the weak big 10 west.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
I do agree with Lakebison, winning 9 games at Nebraska is very similar to John Heacok and Eric Wolford winning 7-8 games at YSU, and both got fired.   Nebraska plays and FCS team, which is an automatic win, YSU plays 2-3 stiffs each year as well.

Heacock and Wolford didn't win the big games and just one playoff berth between them.  Pelini beat the bad teams in the Big 10, but never won the Big 10 title and no FBS bowl games.  Unfortunately in most of the big games at Nebraska his team blown out.

This year, he lost three big conference games at home, and event lost to a bad Southern Illinois team.  He will get 6 wins, but again no big wins.

Whats disappointing is 24 is a lot of playoff teams, just beat SIU and in playoffs without beating a good team.

ALso, do you see any other coaches, either FCS or FBS carry on during the game like him?  Some here seem to be proud of his behavior,  I think is embarrassing and will cost us a game at some point.  He really does need anger management.  A true leader doesn't behave like that.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
I do agree with Lakebison, winning 9 games at Nebraska is very similar to John Heacok and Eric Wolford winning 7-8 games at YSU, and both got fired.   Nebraska plays and FCS team, which is an automatic win, YSU plays 2-3 stiffs each year as well.

Heacock and Wolford didn't win the big games and just one playoff berth between them.  Pelini beat the bad teams in the Big 10, but never won the Big 10 title and no FBS bowl games.  Unfortunately in most of the big games at Nebraska his team blown out.

This year, he lost three big conference games at home, and event lost to a bad Southern Illinois team.  He will get 6 wins, but again no big wins.

Whats disappointing is 24 is a lot of playoff teams, just beat SIU and in playoffs without beating a good team.

ALso, do you see any other coaches, either FCS or FBS carry on during the game like him?  Some here seem to be proud of his behavior,  I think is embarrassing and will cost us a game at some point.  He really does need anger management.  A true leader doesn't behave like that.
Good post..Wolford won some big games but not in crunch time. I think if Wolford is the head coach NDSU doesn't get the pass interference call. The officials have it in for Bo and always will as long as he is the coach here..and your right he does need anger management classes..we are in the national media right now for all the wrong reasons and it's embarrassing