Author Topic: 4th Quarter  (Read 18324 times)

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 4th Quarter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 12:35:05 PM »
I am not going to argue back and forth with any of you on whose fault it was/is. Like I said before football is a team sport and it takes a team effort to win every game. It is so easy for all of you to say what you would or wouldn't do but have you ever taken a snap at quarterback? Have you ever had 40 seconds to decide in the crucial part of the game whether you are going to blitz or stay back in coverage? It is not as easy as it looks. This team is playing with a lot of heart and they have a leader and a coaching staff that they believe in. Good things are coming to them all.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
I can not figure out what you all want the offense to do. One week you are asking for Ricky Davis because Hunter Wells sucks. You are begging to let Ricky throw the ball. When he does you complain that Hunter should have been in throwing it. You want Tressel ball but when we run the ball you complain. This was a hard fought game by both teams and the officials decided it. With all of our offensive line issues I am very impressed how the guys up front did yesterday! They played toe to toe with NDSU and those guys were huge!

We are a few plays away from being 8-2! Yesterday we had dropped passes, blown coverage and bad bad special team play and still had a chance to win at the end. Football is a team sport and this loss is on the team (coaches and players) They will bounce back because they have a lot more character than many of you on this board!

I have never stated I want Ricky Davis.  I want Hunter to use his progressions and I want to run smash mouth football.  If they stack the box like then did, then open it up and throw it.  As I stated before, the post was open all day long.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:33:10 PM by penguinpower »

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »
penguin power - I didn't mean I don't know what you want. I know you have supported the decision to start Wells. I just meant if you go back and read all the posts there isn't a coach in America that could please this crew! Unless we were 10-0 😉

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
penguin power - I didn't mean I don't know what you want. I know you have supported the decision to start Wells. I just meant if you go back and read all the posts there isn't a coach in America that could please this crew! Unless we were 10-0 😉

True and winning helps with agreement on the site.  Btw who is coaching special teams?  They suckedticated all day long.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 07:35:20 PM »
If #9 catches the ball and if we didn't have 3 poor punts back to back to back which gave the Bison great field position we probably had a win. Yesterday special teams killed us from running out the Kick offs and our Kickoff coverage was pathetic.  I have said this many times JT said special teams are 1/3 of the game u win that you usually win.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »
I'm sorry folks but NDSU sucks this year and it's not even close.  They shouldn't have even been in that game if it wasn't for our horrible special teams and inept offense in the 4th quarter. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 10:09:16 PM »
What I want the offense to do is get a 1st down in 4 drives. It's pathetic that this man is able to keep his job. Time and time again we always blame the defense because of the late game meltdowns. Only a few of us point out that playing defense in college football is hard enough, but you cannot put your defense in absolutely terrible positions late in the game. To get shutout in the 4th quarter of close games is unacceptable

4th quarter of the Southern Illinois game- 0 Points (And we all know about the failed HB pass in OT)
4th quarter of the Western Illinois game- 0 Points (Just 3 points in the 3rd)
4th quarter of the NDSU game- 0 Points (No first downs in the last 4 drives)

Let's be realistic. The final drive does not count. Bo had 2 15-yard penalties and also a half-the-distance. We needed 46-yards for the 1st-down. Clearly not possible in the remaining time or distance. So why don't you post the same drive summaries for our opposition?

Please post the last 4 NDSU drives. Don't bother ...here you go:

1. Punt kick returned to the NDSU 48. after we sack them and a penalty, a fair QB (at best) hits a man wide open after our coverage drops off. What was it about 62-yards?
2. punt return to the YSU 39 ...NDSU field goal. I was very pleased with the D on that.
3. NDSU punts & then penalty takes us back to the 6-yard line. On that one we had the bad pass from Davis and it was his series. I thought it was smart call to leave Davis in, but furious we did not capitalize after we got one of only 2 stops in the second half. If you want to hang it on Montgomery, go ahead, it is his call and he should suffer the wrath. None the less ...a bomb down to the 2.5 yard line an subsequent NDSU score.
4. They go into a simple I-formation and ram it down our throats for a TD.

The point is, we needed a stop and/or a drive & we got neither. I am quite aware that we could not move the ball; but I am equally aware that we could not stop NDSU. The two of you refuse to see the latter.

PS: The SIU half-back call was probably too aggressive, but it had to be thrown by the back ...a bootleg would have been blown-up right out of the gate.  Let's not forget the Webb had the 1st-down if he ran, but he chose to stick with the script. I do not blame him ...that is how they practiced it.

Also, Itavious is a great receiver, probably only his second drop, but amplified. Then again, he is a short distance guy; but I was screaming with joy when he got behind their zone & even more when Wells nailed the pass. Such a shock to his him drop one. Harvin still has my vote for Offensive POY.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:10:36 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 12:37:27 AM »
I'm sorry folks but NDSU sucks this year and it's not even close.  They shouldn't have even been in that game if it wasn't for our horrible special teams and inept offense in the 4th quarter.

SUCKS?  9-2  with 2 losses on last second field goals.    cmon dude.

Now, based on the last 4 years of extreme domination by NDSU, then yea, maybe this year "sucks"  but ill take that "sucking" all day, every day dude.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 12:52:57 AM »
I'm referring to you sucking in terms of how good you have been in years past.  I am also taking into consideration that you have a back up QB.  You guys are having a bad year in terms of other years. YSU has a long way to go unfortunately.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 01:05:37 AM »
What I want the offense to do is get a 1st down in 4 drives. It's pathetic that this man is able to keep his job. Time and time again we always blame the defense because of the late game meltdowns. Only a few of us point out that playing defense in college football is hard enough, but you cannot put your defense in absolutely terrible positions late in the game. To get shutout in the 4th quarter of close games is unacceptable

4th quarter of the Southern Illinois game- 0 Points (And we all know about the failed HB pass in OT)

Let's be realistic. The final drive does not count. Bo had 2 15-yard penalties and also a half-the-distance. We needed 46-yards for the 1st-down. Clearly not possible in the remaining time or distance. So why don't you post the same drive summaries for our opposition?

1. Punt kick returned to the NDSU 48. after we sack them and a penalty, a fair QB (at best) hits a man wide open after our coverage drops off. What was it about 62-yards?
2. punt return to the YSU 39 ...NDSU field goal. I was very pleased with the D on that.
3. NDSU punts & then penalty takes us back to the 6-yard line. On that one we had the bad pass from Davis and it was his series. I thought it was smart call to leave Davis in, but furious we did not capitalize after we got one of only 2 stops in the second half. If you want to hang it on Montgomery, go ahead, it is his call and he should suffer the wrath. None the less ...a bomb down to the 2.5 yard line an subsequent NDSU score.

The point is, we needed a stop and/or a drive & we got neither. I am quite aware that we could not move the ball; but I am equally aware that we could not stop NDSU. The two of you refuse to see the latter.

PS: The SIU half-back call was probably too aggressive, but it had to be thrown by the back ...a bootleg would have been blown-up right out of the gate.  Let's not forget the Webb had the 1st-down if he ran, but he chose to stick with the script. I do not blame him ...that is how they practiced it.

Also, Itavious is a great receiver, probably only his second drop, but amplified. Then again, he is a short distance guy; but I was screaming with joy when he got behind their zone & even more when Wells nailed the pass. Such a shock to his him drop one. Harvin still has my vote for Offensive POY.

#3 on your list is where the "retard" in Montgomery kicked in and probably cost us the game.  If you are going to pass the ball on a 3rd and 6 then you put your best QB in there.  Hunter was having a good day too.  The back-up QB missed the throw by 5 yards and the safeties were beaten once again.  How about the play calls before the throw on that series?  Run up the middle against a stacked box?  Just stupid, especially when the deep and intermediate pass was open because the safeties were out position and were slow. The only time we threw the ball in first down was when we were backed up against our own end zone and that doesn't make any sense to me, but it is a tendency that the OC has and NDSU was ready for it. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:09:17 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 01:22:15 AM »

Defense was put in a horrible position, again our inept offense. Held NDSU to a FG on the 1 drive and then the obvious BS penalty which cost us. I understand the dropped pass was a game changer but how does this man keep getting a pass for his inept play calling late in games?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 07:15:38 AM »
No we had back-to-back passes bad/dropped ...both were excellent calls. Both were not typical Montgomery & both were game-changers. You just do not like the man and clearly there is nothing he could do short of convincing Tressel to come down and call the offense. I like smash-mouth as much as you do, but am not willing to lose what we have to get it. BTW ...why does the DC always get a pass from you? NDSU scored on 4 of their last 5 drives. Be fair. Tressel used the offense as an extension of the defense ...he could have cared less if we scored, just as long as we ate up clock ...a main reason we lost most regular-season games to good teams and never won the conference. What hurts is watching a team that clearly patterns themselves off of our old successful style ...be successful. Well NDSU had to break the mold to be us ...something JT would not have done, but Montgomery has. Besides JT's real success came when we ran option ...and a nice infusion by Montgomery.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:02:51 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »
Dropped passes are part of the game it just seems like there has been tons more this year then years past. What I notice with other conference receivers is they go up for the ball and extend themselves for balls just off there finger tips. Know disrespect to our receivers but I just don't see that with ours

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Yet another year of 4th quarter offense ineptitude.

We will have a new OC next year...doesn't look like a happy sideline.

Monty can then move on to the hall of fame or whatever big-time FBS job you think he deserves.

If he didn't have a potential NFL Hall of Fame QB at Miami Ohio his "reign" there would have been even shorter.

I don't believe they ever won the MAC either, but I don't care enough to check.

Someone with way more time might want to check his teams 4th quarter output in the games they blew that cost them the MAC titles (I'm pretty confident this is true...if only based on the conference wins he has cost us).

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »
It would have been nice to get at least one win at home against the big 3 of the conference NDSU, SDSU, and Illinois St. All 3 return alot and will be better next season and we pick up Northern Iowa and have to go on the road. I have know idea what the future holds for Montgomery. He also went absolutely crazy on the officials. Something I wasn't used to seeing  because he's always in the box. Changes are coming I just don't know where