Author Topic: 4th Quarter  (Read 18328 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
4th Quarter
« on: November 15, 2015, 04:41:02 AM »
Once again the offense failed to live up to their end of the deal.  Four 3 and outs with -2yards. Same pattern against any good defense.  But actually it was worse because they really didn't do anything outside of Jodi Webbs big play in the 3rd.

Sickening.  As bad as our punter is, and as bad as the special teams played, we still had a chance as long as the offense lives up to their end of the deal and once again they did not.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 4th Quarter
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:12:55 AM »
NDSU came in here playing their best fb of the season--after beating WIU by 52 points last week it looked like we might be in for a real ass whooping--didn't happen--in spite of some costly errors we still went toe to toe with them--I'm rarely proud when we take a loss but I think we all know NDSU escaped with this one.We lost to Pitt by 1 score--NDSU by 3 pts and Nat'l Runner-Up Ill. State by 2pts.That tells me that we are not that far from being back in the upper echelon of the FCS.Although I don't believe in moral victories I'm extremely proud of how this team fought and never gave up.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
NDSU came in here playing their best fb of the season--after beating WIU by 52 points last week it looked like we might be in for a real a$$ whooping--didn't happen--in spite of some costly errors we still went toe to toe with them--I'm rarely proud when we take a loss but I think we all know NDSU escaped with this one.We lost to Pitt by 1 score--NDSU by 3 pts and Nat'l Runner-Up Ill. State by 2pts.That tells me that we are not that far from being back in the upper echelon of the FCS.Although I don't believe in moral victories I'm extremely proud of how this team fought and never gave up.
Great post..This is also the way I see it. I love the side of Bo with his agression but not to the point it hurts the team and he's running all over the field to search out official 's. It's getting to the point where my oldest daughter won't let me take my grandson unless he has ear muffs on..lol..I have know idea what the future holds for Bo at YSU..lets face it guys wins in the MVC are very hard to come by with know gurantee's. I just don't know if Bo would be willing to risk another season at the FCS level especially in this conference on his resume. But if he does stay it will tell alot about his desire to get the program turned around..We are playing good and I'm happy

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
So let's see.

- We give up a 42-yard pass to the left side under the small scoreboard & the only reason NDSU had to wait one more play to score is because the player was down when he caught it.

- The very next series , #3 come back off of his man to cover a receiver that was already covered by#7 (or at least looked that way to me). This time we give up a TD pass for over 60-yards. The receive had no one near him.

- Oh ...and the series before both of these series we run another zone blitz, blow our coverage and give up an end-around left side that went all the way down to the 4-yard line ...subsequently moved back to the 11 & only resulted in a field goal.

So this 17-points that never should have happened, better blame the offensive coordinator.

But wait. NDSU moves into a typical i-formation and move up and down the field and scores twice on us. Gee ...this is the 4th time I have seen the Bison beat us with good old Tressel-ball. We were powerless to stop them, because we cannot tackle; but let's twice again call for the OC's head.

mmm ... was it once, maybe twice ...try door number 3 Jim that Jody Webb caught kick-offs within 1-foot (not yard) of the goal line ... AND HE NEVER EVEN SMELLED THE 20, LET ALONE THE 25 THAT IS WHERE WE WOULD HAVE HAD THE BALL. Gee, let's not even think for a minute that you have to change your offense when you are starting at your own 10. Yet nooooo ...we will just blame the OC for not being aggressive in the shadow of his own end-zone on 2 of those occasions.

Gee what major blunder happened more than 3 times on special teams? How about the fact that we gave up mammoth returns 4 TIMES. yes 4 times we gave NDSU the ball well INSIDE YSU TERRITORY. It would have been 5 time, except they were pushed back to the 48 by an official's call.

So let's blame the OC for anything else? How about the fact that we could not tackle ...it was like watching the same defense that we had for the past 4 or 5 years. Put your shoulder down into it and hope the ball carrier miraculously tackles himself.

Now not to leave the offense untouched, we certainly could have went more aggressive, but that was really only one series. I thought the play-calling was quite aggressive. We saw that NDSU was dedicating themselves to going after Wells in Q3 and we were smart enough to take advantage of it. None the less, Ruiz was ineffective & although Wells had 2 nice throws dropped ...he tried to change-up the pace of the offense (the 2 delayed throws out into the flat, almost like some kind of long-distance option) and it failed. Davis also had a nice pass dropped, but he is far from a solid passer and his running off the left side was not wide enough in the second half, as NDSU brought in the ends and Davis had no vision. Yes running wide risked a 3-5 yard loss, but I would have tried it. Then again, I am talking as though we had time to redesign the offense in the middle of the game and also that our QB is an experience running back.

So go ahead an keep your blinders on in thinking that your offense coordinator is your only issue. The reality is ...he is your only hope for a solution. Throwing in a new coordinator will do nothing.

We had good design on O & D, but kept shooting ourselves in the foot all game. Special teams? Who knows?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 10:12:41 AM »
I watched NDSU practice that deep pass play in warm-ups. They ran it ten times with both Quarterbacks

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »
Lots of dropped passes yesterday.  I kept telling myself that at least they're not turnovers.

4 straight 3 and outs to end the game.  No drive.  No burning clock with a lead.  No scoring.

Sure seems like there are problems with the offense.  Special teams also.  Lots of work to be done in the offseason.  The hype created by the BP hire is squandered.  Need to actually win now to fill the seats....and not come close.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »
Blame the defense all you want I-AA. That's typical since you have to defend your BFF Mongtomery....

THE OFFENSE DID NOT GET A 1ST DOWN THE LAST 4 DRIVES OF THE GAME UP 14 POINTS. NDSU started their last 3 drives at or around the 50 freaking yard line. Open your eyes, jesus god. Montgomery is a chump, folds like a lawn chair when the game is on the line. Get this guy out of Youngstown. I've seen enough!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
Blame the defense all you want I-AA. That's typical since you have to defend your BFF Mongtomery....

THE OFFENSE DID NOT GET A 1ST DOWN THE LAST 4 DRIVES OF THE GAME UP 14 POINTS. NDSU started their last 3 drives at or around the 50 freaking yard line. Open your eyes, jesus god. Montgomery is a chump, folds like a lawn chair when the game is on the line. Get this guy out of Youngstown. I've seen enough!!!

You can't keep putting the defense in a bad position time after time because you can't get a first down.  How about the complete inept call where the back-up QB attempts a difficult pass on 3rd and 6 and he overthrows the guy by 5 yards.  How about running the ball on every ******* first down.  Stupid.  The post was open all day.  Their safeties were the weak point.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:38:13 PM by penguinpower »

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »
I can not figure out what you all want the offense to do. One week you are asking for Ricky Davis because Hunter Wells sucks. You are begging to let Ricky throw the ball. When he does you complain that Hunter should have been in throwing it. You want Tressel ball but when we run the ball you complain. This was a hard fought game by both teams and the officials decided it. With all of our offensive line issues I am very impressed how the guys up front did yesterday! They played toe to toe with NDSU and those guys were huge!

We are a few plays away from being 8-2! Yesterday we had dropped passes, blown coverage and bad bad special team play and still had a chance to win at the end. Football is a team sport and this loss is on the team (coaches and players) They will bounce back because they have a lot more character than many of you on this board!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 11:34:13 AM »
I Agree with Penguin power the post was open all day. We could've thrown all day and it was the best Wells has thrown all season. For him to be on the sidelines for a whole series and have 3 straight running plays in a crucial situation requires a explanation

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
Is Ed Puskas a Monty hater too?  Or does he see the obvious?

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/nov/15/cold-offense-hot-pelini-combine-to-hurt-/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »
Ed clearly states "is it play calling or execution?" If #9 catches that long pass it is a TD and we are not having this conversation. However, there are a lot of plays in a football game and it is a team sport.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »
I can not figure out what you all want the offense to do. One week you are asking for Ricky Davis because Hunter Wells sucks. You are begging to let Ricky throw the ball. When he does you complain that Hunter should have been in throwing it. You want Tressel ball but when we run the ball you complain. This was a hard fought game by both teams and the officials decided it. With all of our offensive line issues I am very impressed how the guys up front did yesterday! They played toe to toe with NDSU and those guys were huge!

We are a few plays away from being 8-2! Yesterday we had dropped passes, blown coverage and bad bad special team play and still had a chance to win at the end. Football is a team sport and this loss is on the team (coaches and players) They will bounce back because they have a lot more character than many of you on this board!
Great post!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »
Ed clearly states "is it play calling or execution?" If #9 catches that long pass it is a TD and we are not having this conversation. However, there are a lot of plays in a football game and it is a team sport.

The title oft he article includes the words "cold offense....hurt YSU."  Who runs the offense?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
What I want the offense to do is get a 1st down in 4 drives. It's pathetic that this man is able to keep his job. Time and time again we always blame the defense because of the late game meltdowns. Only a few of us point out that playing defense in college football is hard enough, but you cannot put your defense in absolutely terrible positions late in the game. To get shutout in the 4th quarter of close games is unacceptable

4th quarter of the Southern Illinois game- 0 Points (And we all know about the failed HB pass in OT)
4th quarter of the Western Illinois game- 0 Points (Just 3 points in the 3rd)
4th quarter of the NDSU game- 0 Points (No first downs in the last 4 drives)