Author Topic: QB Thread  (Read 43750 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: QB Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2015, 04:31:31 AM »
Is Tanner Garry back with the Team? I see he is back on the roster

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 08:32:13 AM »
That would be great.  Nice to have our preseason all-america selection back with the program!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »
That would be great.  Nice to have our preseason all-america selection back with the program!

LOL I forgot about that

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »
I rooted for Jeff Ryan every game, but now that he is "history" at YSU, he was a showboat, and not a winner and I was glad to see him go.

Ryan would have picked up the 2 point conversion against ILS by sacrificing his body, as opposed to going to the ground at the 1/2 yard line without ever being touched.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »
I rooted for Jeff Ryan every game, but now that he is "history" at YSU, he was a showboat, and not a winner and I was glad to see him go.

Ryan would have picked up the 2 point conversion against ILS by sacrificing his body, as opposed to going to the ground at the 1/2 yard line without ever being touched.
You have to score the TD before anybody goes for anything!  If that's all you have to offer, you're a sad case.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »

You have to score the TD before anybody goes for anything!  If that's all you have to offer, you're a sad case.
How soon we forget about the execution on the blocked extra point that made us go for 2 in that situation

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »
Jeff Ryan was one of the better quarterbacks YSU has had.  How many more Ricky Davis, Tanner Gary, Hunter Wells and whoever the hell else do we need to see?  The QB play has been awful outside of Zetts since Ryan left, if you can't see that you should get your eyes checked, just saying.  The last time we had a good QB was Zetts and look we went deep into the playoffs that year.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »
We would have still gone for two because we went for two once before in the game to make it a 3 point game at one point.  Had we made the extra point we would have not done that

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
You'd think this was men's tennis.  Only the #1 singles match matters.  Let me count....... Yes, 21 other guys + special teams besides the QB.  Ryan, Zetts, Hess, and Wells.  I'm sure you could pick games each we primarily responsible for a loss, but same for a pulling out a win too.  Team sport, team wins, team loses, not the QB.   Hess had a ton of yards, TD’s and loses because gave up too many points.  Not all on QB.  Not all on DC either, good or bad.  Team sport and we will need great effort from all 3 units tomorrow.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2015, 01:41:57 PM »
QB and the "system" Montgomery employs are two different animals. Ryan wasn't a great QB  but he was a good athlete who played QB. Ryan was successful because  they LIMITED what they had him do and he had good instincts to know when to pull it down and run and not always looking good doing it. Hess was a decent QB but he was shoehorned into a system and kept there by Montgomery. Montgomery  doesn't  use a QBs talent, he forces the qb TO PLAY IN HIS SYSTEM. Years ago, QB were recruited for their ABILITIES and then plays were put in for them. Montgomery puts in his SYSTEM and forces QBs to play into that system disregarding their abilities. That is what is going  on now . When Hess graduated, the cupboard was bare -- Wells drove DAILY to YSU and worked under Montgomery learning the system. He had a BIG leg up over Davis who was in the Cincy area . Yet the "sy st em" was employed  and the actual talents of the QBs ignored. Majot mistake.  Best QB are those who have plays put into the O for them, not some coaches "ideal" system and force players to play in it. Wells nor davis will never be good here because of that. It would alos help to recruit to SPECIFIC  skill sets in QB recruits and not bring in QBs and force them to do things they didn't and don't do.

Football 101

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2015, 02:02:11 PM »
  Best QB are those who have plays put into the O for them, not some coaches "ideal" system and force players to play in it. Wells nor davis will never be good here because of that. It would alos help to recruit to SPECIFIC  skill sets in QB recruits and not bring in QBs and force them to do things they didn't and don't do.

Football 101

Agree completely

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »

The point I was trying to make was that Ryan would do whatever it takes to win.  A trait that young Wells has not yet shown.  Hopefully it surfaces beginning this weekend.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »
Better example -- watch Ohio St. They have used 3 QBs recently and each  had  different abilities. They put in "packages" of plays for each and when one of them plays , their play selection comes from their package . Each QB is successful because of the package used for him. OSU does not try to force a QB to do what his  abilities aren't suited for.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:33:03 PM by paladin »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2015, 07:21:31 PM »
Pally we rarely agree but I agree with u about Monty not adjusting to what the QB skill set is. Ryan was a good athlete and a leader. But he also had a better set of players around him.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:57 PM »
QB and the "system" Montgomery employs are two different animals. Ryan wasn't a great QB  but he was a good athlete who played QB. Ryan was successful because  they LIMITED what they had him do and he had good instincts to know when to pull it down and run and not always looking good doing it. Hess was a decent QB but he was shoehorned into a system and kept there by Montgomery. Montgomery  doesn't  use a QBs talent, he forces the qb TO PLAY IN HIS SYSTEM. Years ago, QB were recruited for their ABILITIES and then plays were put in for them. Montgomery puts in his SYSTEM and forces QBs to play into that system disregarding their abilities. That is what is going  on now . When Hess graduated, the cupboard was bare -- Wells drove DAILY to YSU and worked under Montgomery learning the system. He had a BIG leg up over Davis who was in the Cincy area . Yet the "sy st em" was employed  and the actual talents of the QBs ignored. Majot mistake.  Best QB are those who have plays put into the O for them, not some coaches "ideal" system and force players to play in it. Wells nor davis will never be good here because of that. It would alos help to recruit to SPECIFIC  skill sets in QB recruits and not bring in QBs and force them to do things they didn't and don't do.

Football 101

Awful lot of BS to say one thing ...you don't like a system guy. Point made, not shared. This is not Jim Tressel football, there are other options to offer off-tackle left, than off tackle right. When your line is weak in the middle, you need to get outside ...football 101.

PS: Monty recruited those QB's ...he knows who they are and what they can do. Clearly you do not. If you are going to make anti-system comments, say something that makes sense ,,,i.e.: we score too quickly and that places our defense on the field too much. Or, we do not have sufficient "vanilla" offensive resources to properly imitate opposing offenses for scout team purposes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:34:13 AM by IAA Fan »