Author Topic: YSU @ SIU 10/24 7 pm  (Read 12597 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU @ SIU 10/24 7 pm
« on: October 21, 2015, 01:13:40 PM »
YSU holds a 14-11-1 advantage in the all-time series, and has won the last two contests in Carbondale, and four of the past five contests, inclidng a 26-14 win last season in Youngstown.

SIU (2-4/1-2) so far has crushed Misery State 73-26 and lost to Indiana 48-47 as they opted for a failed 2 point conversion rather than the tie in the final seconds of the game.  SIU had a school-record 517 yards total offense in the season opener at Indiana (2nd in MVFC history) and 471 yards total offense (10th in MVFC history) last week at Indiana State.  All four losses for SIU were by 3 points or less.

SIU leads the MVFC in: total offense, scoring offense (X = 41.7 points/game), passing offense, and rushing offense.

SIU QB Mark Iannotti leads all MVFC QBs in total offense.  Receiver Billy Reed is ranked in the top 5 in the MVFC in # receptions, and yards receiving.

YSU leads the MVFC in total defense as well as pass defense.

YSU is ranked 16th in both polls, and SIU is unranked.

Massey gives YSU a 47% chance of winning and predicts a score of 32-34.  SIU is favored by 2.5 by 5 dimes.

This is an absolute must win game for the Salukis, as they have to run the table to get 7 D1 wins, and still face NDSU, ISUr, and UNI.  This is also their Homecoming game.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ SIU 10/24 7 pm
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »
I don't know who wins because I don't know which YSU team will take the field in Carbondale.  If the YSU team that played Pitt shows, then we should ruin the Saluki's Homecoming.  If the team that played RMU and SDSU shows...then we are in trouble.

Even though I was way off last week, I will say YSUs pass D keeps the explosive SIU offense in check and YSU wins 38-31.

IMO, if YSU runs the table (a very real possibility), then they would likely be seeded and receive a first round bye. One loss, then playoffs are likely but not guaranteed.  Two losses....well......hopefully no reason to go there.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
QB update:

Wells is still the starting QB, Davis is fully serviceable, and Tanner Gary is off the team "for the time being":

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/oct/21/ysu-players-clear-the-air/

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »
Yeah that confused me. What does "off the team for the time being?" mean?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:45:20 PM »
Who knows what team is gonna show up... Hope for the best!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
Even if our defense plays well I still think SIU will get their yardage and points it's inevitable. Obviously they have some holes in their defense. We will have to bring our A game and execute on offense. I would love nothing more for us to control the ball for 35 plus minutes but I just can't see that happening. It could very well be a shoot out in Carbondale

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
Even if our defense plays well I still think SIU will get their yardage and points it's inevitable. Obviously they have some holes in their defense. We will have to bring our A game and execute on offense. I would love nothing more for us to control the ball for 35 plus minutes but I just can't see that happening. It could very well be a shoot out in Carbondale

I hope it isn't a shootout  :-[

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »
I don't either..let's hope Carl can dial up a great plan on defense. We really need to start forcing some turnovers in that department

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »
The forecast calls for 49% chance of rain at kickoff, which may help slow the SIU passing game.

SIU LB Chase Edmonds is suspended for the first half due to targeting last week.

We need to not spot them 7 points with an early turnover.  I'd like SIU to receive in the first half...and a stop would be a huge momentum builder.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
The forecast calls for 49% chance of rain at kickoff, which may help slow the SIU passing game.

SIU LB Chase Edmonds is suspended for the first half due to targeting last week.

We need to not spot them 7 points with an early turnover.  I'd like SIU to receive in the first half...and a stop would be a huge momentum builder.

It's gonna slow our passing game down as well. Whatever semblance of a passing game we have.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
The MVFC has the most dangerous 2-4 teams in the FCS in UNI and SIU.  Even NDSU is tied for third place.

Every MVFC team would be top 25 in a legit poll.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 11:58:15 AM »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »
Every MVFC team would be top 25 in a legit poll.

The computer polls back that up with the exception of Missouri State.  They are bad.  Their only win was by 8 points over an average D2 team, and they have been blown out in all 5 of their losses.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »
  Southern Illinois is bad, their defense among the worst in the nation, and potentially their best defender out the first half because of a targeting incident last week.   

This needs to be a convincing win.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
I agree , Fever. SIU will get yardage and they are going to score.  Trouble is if we have a QB who can be effective or an INT machine. YSU run game needs to show they are capable. Otherwise, they will lose.