Author Topic: Pelini embarrassed and disappointed  (Read 23186 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pelini embarrassed and disappointed
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »
Montgomery has to GO!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 04:24:16 AM »
Personally, I don't want a spread offense.  I want a multiple offense with a base of two tight ends, a full back and a tailback.  I also want a running QB, but I don't want to run him until it is absolutely necessary, and that might be during the playoffs when no team is expecting to defend it.  This dink and dunk offense will only get you so far and when you run into a solid defense you get shut down like Oregon.  I want to see A-gap power plays and throws to the TE.  I want to see the OL push the DL out of the way and I want to see the FB smash the opposing LB's.  Despite being old, nearly every top college team uses the old power offense.  The spread teams rarely make it and if they do it is because they have excellent depth, speed, and the ability to run a-gap power plays.

We ran fly sweeps about 10 times on first down and we were shut out nearly every time.  Difficult to watch.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
I am more an old-school guy myself, but it is not what game of college football is anymore. We needed a spread O back in the early 2000's as GA Southern showed us back in 1999 and App State showed us back in 2006. I agree that it is more of an all or nothing game. This is why I do not watch the NFL anymore ...complicated offensive plays to get what a solid line and RB should easily be able to get you.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
1-AA, like your post, but the teams that win consistently ARE the teams that block better and tackle better.  You watch NE, GB, etc. and they aren't that fancy, just better prepared and execute better than the other guys.  Good football still reminds me of the great Vince Lombardi.  You know what’s coming but you can’t stop it.  All the formations, all the movement, all the pre-snap reads, and you know what?  Winning and losing comes down to what happens at the line of scrimmage, same as always!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »
Very nice comments by Dale Lennon head coach of SIU on YSU. Quote: They return the best talent in the conference and they are by far the most talented team we will face all season long

LOL Lennon is being politically correct  8). "IF" he studies the game of football he's licking his chops waiting on YSU's offense to come to town. 3 different running plays + the jet sweep and the occasional reverse with 6 to 81 then 4, 2 different dink and dunk pass plays and the long out pattern.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
Trevor Strickland is no longer with the program. Best of luck to him!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »
Trevor Strickland is no longer with the program. Best of luck to him!
Handwriting has been on the wall here for a while.  He'll be missed and I join is wishing him well.  I have no idea what the issues are, but seem serious and I hope he deals with them successfully.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
I know the issues and they are serious.... serious enough that he doesn't belong on the team and "infects" them with his 'poison". Wise move.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »
I know the issues and they are serious.... serious enough that he doesn't belong on the team and "infects" them with his 'poison". Wise move.

Paladin, Go Guins and 0505:
I understand your comments;however, the "Where is Trevor Strickland?" thread was locked for a reason.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:29:19 PM by ScarletRook »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 11:22:04 PM »
I do not know the reason, nor do I care to know. Just stating that Pelini said today he is no longer with the program.