Author Topic: Jambar Article  (Read 4763 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Jambar Article
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »
There was a jambar article calling for our offense to use a 2qb system (wells and davis). I feel like that idea is bad. It could derail our offense, or it could work.  The risk is much greater than reward in my opinion.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Jambar Article
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
Link?

It is something to consider.  Maybe Davis in short yardage situations or in the red zone?  It seems to be working for tOSU.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
http://www.thejambar.com/the-press-box-perspective-maybe-a-two-quarterback-systems-the-answer/

And Nation, I know OSU is doing it. Historically though, 2qb system hurts more often. Takes confidence from the starter. Look at pitt this year. Voytik lost his spot.

Online Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 02:44:26 PM »
Tressel would use two QBs quite often.  I thought it worked well.  Kept the defenses a little off

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »
Yes and no Buddy. I know that coach T used Cochran quite a bit behind Isaac, but that was because Ray was always banged-up ...again the disadvantage of a running QB. On the other hand. Demont Tidwell was perhaps our best overall QB of the 90's and Tressel only put him in with a rare injury & it really hurt us in 1996 (Tidwell's first year taking snaps). Then by 1997, he had converted Tidwell into a drop-back QB and won a championship.

Not saying that we could not try to inject some plays, but I would not want to do anything that could upset coach M's system.

Online Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
Used Ryan and Street and Zwick.  Brungaurd and Tidwell maybe too.  I would like to see a series or so or just on some downs.  Think this would be helpful to this offence....

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 12:24:38 PM »
Buddy, not sure I understand.  Are you touting Ryan, Steet and Zwick or Brungaurd and Tidwell as being a successful use of 2 QB's?  The earlier comment about Ray Isaac's back-up playing was in fact due to injury so it doesn't "count" in my book.  If you are, I don't agree.
You pick your best guy and play him.  If you have a junior/senior with a freshman backup, you try to get the freshman some snaps when you are way up (or down) in a game, getting ready for later, but if you want to win in football, you have 1 QB.  That's the rule and I don't know of a successful exception.  This mess on offense they have in Columbus certainly isn't an example of successful use of 2 QBs .  If they didn't have Elliott as the fall back in the second half, they might have a loss or 2 already. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Online Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »
No I am not touting anyone.  Just making the comment that JT used two QBs in the past.  Not saying I support a change just saying this worked for him.  We all knew Ryan was starting QB and took most of the snaps but Street would come in and run option  on a play or so and sometime be in for 3 or 4 downs..

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »
One thing to note is that Cochran was a Big-10 drop-back passer ...with a much much better cannon than Isaac. So no one had any concerns when he was in. Great 1-2 punch. On the other hand, his mobility left some to be desired. That was Cooper's beef with him in Columbus. I thought he was an outstanding QB ...as was Isaac.