Author Topic: Noiseless Crowd  (Read 15928 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Noiseless Crowd
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 02:09:52 PM »
Note  -- most of the people who leave at the half or 3rd qtr. are folks who got FREE tickets as employees or customers of businesses who bought up blocks of tickets. While many tickets aren't used on a week to week basis, this does NOT create fans who  come using a free ticket. They are killing time before their next engagement.  Watched that for years in the  Penguin Club seats when asking who they were and why they were there since they didn't show up week to week.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
That game was the chance to impress the casuals who made the trip to check out the new coach and his team.

I don't expect many back with ANY regularity. Why would you? There are tons of games on TV and espn3...plus all the other great Fall activities that aren't football.

We had a chance to grab local interest and for the most part failed. Not only with the loss, but the Mickey Mouse refereeing job made the game no better run that a JV game.

It seemed bush league, and took away from what should have been a great matchup of top 10 teams. Instead it was a disjointed, seemingly 1 sided screw job.

Why submit yourself to that aggravation if you aren't already a fan?

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »
That game was the chance to impress the casuals who made the trip to check out the new coach and his team.

I don't expect many back with ANY regularity. Why would you? There are tons of games on TV and espn3...plus all the other great Fall activities that aren't football.

We had a chance to grab local interest and for the most part failed. Not only with the loss, but the Mickey Mouse refereeing job made the game no better run that a JV game.

It seemed bush league, and took away from what should have been a great matchup of top 10 teams. Instead it was a disjointed, seemingly 1 sided screw job.

Hahahaha it's Youngstown in October on a Sat afternoon, please don't make it sound like there are so many things to do better than attending a division 1 football game.  Division 1 college football in your back yard but nah I will sit home and watch Boston College because that is so great.  This type of mentality is exactly what is wrong with the Valley when it comes to supporting this university.  Yah they lost, but they were competitive and it was a top 5 team in our own league.  If people can't see the improvements with this team then do us all a favor and those people just stay home because we don't want that type of fair weather fan anyhow.  Bottom line is it's football and you will get bad calls from time to time.  Wells knee was down before the ball crossed the goal line that wasn't a bad call and as far as the onside kick.  There was no penalty because the ball wasn't advanced forward.  The referee clearly didn't explain it properly hence the confusion.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
Then it appears we agree for the most part. OSU and ND will continue to keep people home...nothing new. Why change?

Geneva plays football 3 minutes from my house and I couldn't tell you a single opponent they played or how they have done at all over the last 15 years.

Am I supposed to care just because they are here? I have no affiliation with the school.

I don't fault those who choose to do other things with their time. A big quiet crowd will look good in the next hype video but it was no home field advantage. It made no difference if they were there or not.

Hahahaha it's Youngstown in October on a Sat afternoon, please don't make it sound like there are so many things to do better than attending a division 1 football game.  Division 1 college football in your back yard but nah I will sit home and watch Boston College because that is so great.  This type of mentality is exactly what is wrong with the Valley when it comes to supporting this university.  Yah they lost, but they were competitive and it was a top 5 team in our own league.  If people can't see the improvements with this team then do us all a favor and those people just stay home because we don't want that type of fair weather fan anyhow.  Bottom line is it's football and you will get bad calls from time to time.  Wells knee was down before the ball crossed the goal line that wasn't a bad call and as far as the onside kick.  There was no penalty because the ball wasn't advanced forward.  The referee clearly didn't explain it properly hence the confusion.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »
Geneva isn't division 1 huge difference.  I don't fault people either who want to do other things with their time when there are options worth doing but In Youngstown there aren't a lot of options.  A lot of people that live in Youngstown root for Ohio State and ND why?  I would be willing to bet most people that root for OSU or ND couldn't even get accepted into the school it's laughable yet people support the program.  So if people live in Youngstown and grew up here or went to school at YSU they should be at the games.  Seeing a big crowd loud or not does a lot for the psyche of the kids.

Then it appears we agree for the most part. OSU and ND will continue to keep people home...nothing new. Why change?

Geneva plays football 3 minutes from my house and I couldn't tell you a single opponent they played or how they have done at all over the last 15 years.

Am I supposed to care just because they are here? I have no affiliation with the school.

I don't fault those who choose to do other things with their time. A big quiet crowd will look good in the next hype video but it was no home field advantage. It made no difference if they were there or not.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 04:58:22 PM »
I started this topic because I thought it was pathetic how such a large crowd could bring very little to make a difference in the game.  I get it, OSU, ND, Michigan, blah, blah, blah...enough with the excuses.  If you come to the game, geriatric or not, come to cheer for the home team and make it miserable for the visitors...that is our job...we can't suit up so lets do our part to make the visitors have a hard time with every down, every call, every punt, everything.  We have people all around us looking at us like we are out of our minds...they sit there, watch and leave...I blame this on the marketing department...every bar, restaurant, establishment should have YSU material hanging all over it, banners, signs, schedules, contests, etc...they need to get this town rallied around the team...until then...we will have complacency. 

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
We have people all around us looking at us like we are out of our minds...they sit there, watch and leave...I blame this on the marketing department...every bar, restaurant, establishment should have YSU material hanging all over it, banners, signs, schedules, contests, etc...they need to get this town rallied around the team...until then...we will have complacency.

Totally Agree!
Does Youngstown State even have a marketing department?  If so, what ever they are paid it is TOO MUCH!
Couldn't prove it by coming in for the game and I don't count the fire hydrants as marketing although it is a nice touch.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »
I noticed 2 fans directly in front of the club seats in the same row about 15 seats apart trying their best to get the fans up on their feet on every big play. It didn't work so well but it was a nice thing to see. I was very disappointed to see so little people down at the corner of the stadium where the players come out of the locker room. That would be a great place to start so what if you have to walk back to your seats. Let them know your there for them as soon as they take the field it would mean the world to them

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 10:14:41 PM »
Well start this week as we are the MVFC game-of-the-week & get the prime ESPN3 slot.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
I noticed 2 fans directly in front of the club seats in the same row about 15 seats apart trying their best to get the fans up on their feet on every big play. It didn't work so well but it was a nice thing to see. I was very disappointed to see so little people down at the corner of the stadium where the players come out of the locker room. That would be a great place to start so what if you have to walk back to your seats. Let them know your there for them as soon as they take the field it would mean the world to them

Do you think it would be a great thing for our students to be there when they come out and then move back to the student section immediately after? I.E. sacrifice opening heckling of the opposing team for a shot in the arm to the home team? Its not like we can't go back to the student section. I think I'm going to make that happen.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »
Yes Yo I really do but I'm unsure of where the student section is. If it's on the visitors side that might be a problem. The majority of the players look directly to the left when they come out and you would be the first thing they notice. The cheerleaders were down in that corner on the field along with 4 younger boys who were leaning against the railing cheering on the Guins as they took the field and that was basically it. Through my binoculars some of the players acknowledged them and took some extra steps to let them know they appreciated it

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
Moving the student section to the east side was the dumbest move possible. They either need to be lower left where they used to be or the other side where the players come out.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »
Moving the student section to the east side was the dumbest move possible. They either need to be lower left where they used to be or the other side where the players come out.

I totally dis-agree, they are in the best spot possible, right behind the bad guys. I sit near there and they do a great job heckling the other team.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »

I totally dis-agree, they are in the best spot possible, right behind the bad guys. I sit near there and they do a great job heckling the other team.

Not to brag, but we usually get really good heckling. Like last week, at the very end when we were losing, we all started chanting at the guy from the other team, #4 on defense, who was very interactive with us (there is always at least one guy who either will give us attention because we shout at him or get upset about it. he was good about it and just trying to have fun back). Anyway, we started chanting "#4 still sucks!" And it was LOUD, and he fell over laughing when he heard us. Personally, I prefer when they get mad (it means we got in their heads and we did our job).

And fever, it is on the East side (opposite field) that the student section is located. Still, I think we could do it, or at least some of us could, and go back to our seats. Would be nice to get everyone to do it though I think.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »

Not to brag, but we usually get really good heckling. Like last week, at the very end when we were losing, we all started chanting at the guy from the other team, #4 on defense, who was very interactive with us (there is always at least one guy who either will give us attention because we shout at him or get upset about it. he was good about it and just trying to have fun back). Anyway, we started chanting "#4 still sucks!" And it was LOUD, and he fell over laughing when he heard us. Personally, I prefer when they get mad (it means we got in their heads and we did our job).

And fever, it is on the East side (opposite field) that the student section is located. Still, I think we could do it, or at least some of us could, and go back to our seats. Would be nice to get everyone to do it though I think.

Keep up the great work YO, would love to see you guys needing more room
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne