Author Topic: Noiseless Crowd  (Read 15927 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Noiseless Crowd
« on: October 11, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »
Is it me or do our fans like to sit on their hands during a football game.  Absolutely disgusting...nobody wants to make any noise at all...it is called home field advantage for a reason. The crocheting crowd has returned.  Stay home and watch the game if you are not coming out to make the home field a nasty place for teams to come and play at. 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Noiseless Crowd
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
sorry, had a 3-year old on my lap was hard to get loud.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
Is it me or do our fans like to sit on their hands during a football game.  Absolutely disgusting...nobody wants to make any noise at all...it is called home field advantage for a reason. The crocheting crowd has returned.  Stay home and watch the game if you are not coming out to make the home field a nasty place for teams to come and play at.

I agree.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
I was surprised that the section I was in was loud, but many sections seemed quit - then I realized I was sitting near team family members.  Still, it was good to see a great turnout and the students stayed the whole game.  Was that due to "offers" from THE PENGUIN PACK ?  Yo - any info there??

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »
I was in the student section. I was trying to keep them engaged and got many chants going. I lost my voice (like I always do at the football games) and I thought we were loud.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
I was surprised that the section I was in was loud, but many sections seemed quit - then I realized I was sitting near team family members.  Still, it was good to see a great turnout and the students stayed the whole game.  Was that due to "offers" from THE PENGUIN PACK ?  Yo - any info there??

There werent any offers from the penguin pack to stay to my knowledge.  Some students did still leave at half, but not many. The students were excited about the game. Loss or not, that was an exciting game to watch. Also we had to set the Guy in the blazer straight. He was with the penguin pack I think and had some sideline pass thing around his neck in a lanyard. He was a nice guy and had good intentions, but kept trying to get us to cheer before plays when we were on offense. Had to explain we need to hear audibles and stuff. He stopped once talked too. Me and some other students kept having to get others to quiet down the chanting on offense alot though. Lol. Anti home field advantage.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »
I don't know Pete. Crowd was great for the first time in a long time, so let's be happy. We gave too may big plays to keep the crowd in it all the time.

To the fans that did not come, you missed on heck of a game. Best game since sometime during the Heacock era. Offense was sharp much of the game. Red zone defense was solid. Crowd was exciting & there are not that many more seats open :)

Clearly there was no place else better to be!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:57:23 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
I agree IAA. That was a good crowd. Best Ive seen since we were playing UNI at home a few years ago under wolford and we were undefeated going into it. Just hope there is a good turnout this week for SDSU

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »

I thought that the crowd was pretty good, can and will get better but I was happy with it. I sit near the student section and they are getting better every week.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 03:27:21 PM »
I was very happy with the crowd.... but how on earth do fans leave in the 4th quarter of that game. I am still scratching my head at the hundred or so people I saw leave after we kicked that FG to make it 24-23.... That part is mind boggling to me.... But beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »
Happy with the crowd size, but not the crowd noise. No noise on 3rd downs, didn't get into it until the end of the game. But hey, like valley said, beggars can't be choosers.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
Look around you at the games.  Our crowd has a good number of elderly folks. I am knocking on the door of being old but I am not there yet. The older folks are not that vocal and are just happy to find their seats.  They do support the Penguins and have for years so we cannot fault them for that.  I thought the crowd was good and many stayed until the end.  They were pretty vocal at the end with some of those calls.   

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
Happy with the crowd size, but not the crowd noise. No noise on 3rd downs, didn't get into it until the end of the game. But hey, like valley said, beggars can't be choosers.

Agreed.  I would tend to think the majority of the core fan base is older, but when we have as big of crowd as Saturday, I would expect it to be louder than it was.  I was glad to see a great turnout, but confused by how many left at half, 3Q and 4Q.  I hope that the excitement of the Illinois State game, along with the quality of both teams this weekend, leads to a great crowd and a better outcome.

Z

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »

Agreed.  I would tend to think the majority of the core fan base is older, but when we have as big of crowd as Saturday, I would expect it to be louder than it was.  I was glad to see a great turnout, but confused by how many left at half, 3Q and 4Q.  I hope that the excitement of the Illinois State game, along with the quality of both teams this weekend, leads to a great crowd and a better outcome.

Z
Since I am one of those "Old Fans" who was a Freshman in Youngstown University in mid 1960s, i can tell you that there is no way I can still make a lot of noise continually through the entire game.

Most people around were are all season ticket holders. Many of them would leave by half time or end of 3Q regardless of the score as if they were there just to show some support or to meet required obligations.
They rarely show up for "bad matched up (RMU, SFU...) games or "bad weather" games or with "bad YSU win/lost record".

I am afraid that since we lost the last game, the next game might not match the attendance of last weekend.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »

Z
Since I am one of those "Old Fans" who was a Freshman in Youngstown University in mid 1960s, i can tell you that there is no way I can still make a lot of noise continually through the entire game.

Most people around were are all season ticket holders. Many of them would leave by half time or end of 3Q regardless of the score as if they were there just to show some support or to meet required obligations.
They rarely show up for "bad matched up (RMU, SFU...) games or "bad weather" games or with "bad YSU win/lost record".

I am afraid that since we lost the last game, the next game might not match the attendance of last weekend.

But why shouldn't the attendance be the same or more for the  homecoming game?  I understand we lost and I myself was very upset after the game.  However, after some perspective  we are a good team that made tons of mistakes and still almost won. Last year we lost by two touchdowns. In years past a top 4 opponent at home would have been a  beating . Hell, we were losing to teams before that were awful and we were supposed to win and a playoff berth was on the line example Indiana State last year, South Dakota State two years ago. I could go on and on. If you listened to the coaches show tonight on 570 wkbn Bo said that he hopes he gets to see Illinois State again.  Guy has been coaching football a long time. He wouldn't say that if he didn't think he knew his team could beat them.  We can and will play with with anyone in the country because we have a strong defense, something we haven't had since 06 when we lost App State in the semifinal.