Author Topic: Ill st recap  (Read 23938 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ill st recap
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 06:48:17 PM »
Sorry if I've been offending some on here.  I am flat out tired of losing games like this and I have a huge emotional attachment to how my team performs.  I think we have been robbed out of a playoff spot for several years now.  I understand that we cost ourselves with late season meltdowns but we were still better than many teams in the playoff field. 

I can't go another season sane without getting into the playoffs.  I get mad now when anyone coats us a game.  Thing is we shouldn't be on the edge all the time.  We have history, tradition, and a great recruiting area and live in a cradle of great coaches, so there are no excuses.  Sorry if I upset people on here bit my temper and passion get the best of me sometimes

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 06:55:22 PM »
I just want to honestly know why everyone is so high on Ricky Davis? I'm not saying he would be a bad QB, but honestly, why is he the answer to our problems? Because he's mobile?

I don't think that people are high on Ricky Davis or that he is the answer to our problems, the question was just just ask why not give him a try even if it's to put a fire under Hunter. No one knows what he can do because he has never been given a chance.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
I looked at Last years game we lost 35 to 21 we gained over 400 + yds in that game too.  Wells completed 66.7 of his passes yesterday threw for 240 he improved is completion percentage against them as well.  He threw a pick in both games.  But keep screaming for Davis reminds me when everybody wanted Zwick.  Go YSU!
Some of the Browns' fans still screaming for Johnny

nailed it
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 07:04:34 PM »
The QB you warned about almost beat one of the best teams in the country.  We have nothing behind him right now and if you think Ricky Davis is the answer then you know less than you think.  I am not being a homer but don't you think Pelini isn't going to put the best guy out there.  He has a few more rings than u and being an armchair naysayer hater makes  any assessment from you pretty much garbage.  But keep being negative. Youngstown is full of your kind and you fit in very well.  Go Penguins!

The QB he warned about would have beaten one of the best teams in the country had he not thrown the pick 6 or could run 3 yards from the line of scrimmage, but let me ask you something, how do you know Davis can't play when he has never been given a chance to fail? And by the way, Pelini isn't putting the QB out there, Monty is.

Pretty sure that Monty works for BP

Yeah he does but Bo is a defensive minded coach and is trying to show Monty the respect he deserves by letting him run the offense his way. You will know when Bo has had enough. I just hope Monty staying with Hunter doesn't cost him his job. He is a good coach.

I hear what you are saying and I have never been in a coaches meeting, but I have to believe that when it comes to deciding whom the starting qb is, BP has some input.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »
I'm not saying Davis is the answer, but the kid had some nice D-1 offers coming out of high school for a reason. Strong arm, can run. It's not like we changed O-Coordinators this year when Bo came in and still haven't given Davis a shot. Then I would be convinced maybe he's not ready to have the reigns. I just don't feel comfy going forward with Wells making the decision back there. Monty likes his QB's a certain way and I get it. He's the O-Coordinator and he runs his system the way he wants to. We will see how it plays out... Fingers crossed.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
I just want to honestly know why everyone is so high on Ricky Davis? I'm not saying he would be a bad QB, but honestly, why is he the answer to our problems? Because he's mobile?
Yo- Qb's on just about every level today are judged on 2 things win and losses. If you don't win that creates controversy and gossip. IMO Wells played good enough in the losses to Pitt and Illinois St. to pick up the win. The defense didn't, and that also goes for the players around Wells. That is why it's a team sport and you win and lose as a team. In the game of football you need to throw. If Ricky could throw he would've been giving the opportunity a long time ago. Hunter is just a sophomore and a team captain..That speaks volumes

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 09:24:25 PM »
Good points Fever. One thing that no one is mentioning here ...safety. Montgomery does not want his QB's to be running with the ball and neither do I. Look at how many times Roberson has been out and he has been a relatively healthy QB (as mobile QBs go). Half the reason that UNI never reaches their potential is because their starting QB's never make it through the season. The Panthers have a back-up in right now, they started their season with him.

There is no doubt in my mind that YSU wins ...going away... last night had Kolbe stayed in the game.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
Yo- Qb's on just about every level today are judged on 2 things win and losses. If you don't win that creates controversy and gossip. IMO Wells played good enough in the losses to Pitt and Illinois St. to pick up the win. The defense didn't, and that also goes for the players around Wells. That is why it's a team sport and you win and lose as a team. In the game of football you need to throw. If Ricky could throw he would've been giving the opportunity a long time ago. Hunter is just a sophomore and a team captain..That speaks volumes

I wouldn't blame either loss completely on the defense. If you take away the KO return for a TD against Pitt and a pick 6 this week, we could have won both games. Our Defense is better than anybody could have hoped for this year, anyway, Ricky can throw and he is a sophomore also. Go Guins! (All the Quins)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 10:08:23 PM »
YSU won their national championships with running QB's. Just saying ;)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:30 PM »
Let's do a real recap:

Q1:
1) ILS drive: YSU stops them on the goal line. (Kolbe at QB)
2) YSU drive: Wells INT for a TD. Defense stood tall and a mistake shifted everything.
3) YSU drive:  YSU TD. Nice use of the TB's in passing situations. Get Ruiz and Webb out beyond the LOS.
4) ILS drive: just begins drive and 1st quarter ends.

Q2:
+4) ILS drive: ends in punt (Kolbe at QB)
5) YSU drive: ends in punt.
6) ILS Drive: TD (Roberson at QB)
7) YSU drive: punt
8) ILS drive: punt
9) YSU drive FG

First half comments:
- Kolbe was ineffective against us.
- We were not prepared for Roberson. Not saying that we did not practice for him, we just were not prepared for his ability in "real time". However, we did a fairly good job against him.
- There were 9 drives in the first half: YSU had 5 chances and ILS had 4 chances to score. YSU offense produces 10-points (2 scores), while ILS offesne produced 7-points (1 score). ILS defense produces 7-points (1 score). There were no missed FG's, so the remaining drives were all stops. In short, we outplayed them on both sides of the ball. Yet we are down 14-10.
- We left 4-points on the field and the INT for score. Should be 14-7 "good guys" at the half.

Q3:
1) YSU drive: Field goal.
2) ILS drive: Field goal.

Q4:
3) YSU drive: Score (TD)
4) ILS drive: Score (TD). I will also point out that YSU had them in 3rd and long on the 26 and the 39.
5) YSU drive: Score (Field Goal)
6) ILS drive: Score (TD)
7) YSU drive: Score (TD)
8) ILS drive: took a knee (do not count)

Second half comments:

- There were 7 drives in the second half and all of them resulted in scores.  YSU had 4 drives while ILS had 3. ILS produced 17-points, YSU produced 19-points.
- YSU left 8-points on the field. ILS left 4-points on the field.
- YSU offense under-produced, but did manage to score on all 4 of their drives, while the defense failed to produce a second-half stop that did not result in fg.
- We did have a special teams Snafu; but it resulted in a TD, not the field goal.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2015, 10:54:57 PM »
YSU won their national championships with running QB's. Just saying ;)

I understand where you are coming from 05. Only one of those was a real option QB (like Roberson) though. Brungard, Ryan and Tidwell were all drop-back guys. Believe me, I am 110% positive that coach M is looking to recruit a guy that is 6'+, good weight, can throw on the run, good arm strength, quick release, can run when needed and has a brain. Those guys are hard for a I-AA/FCS team to get. Flaco was the last one of any stature and he was a IA/FBS transfer.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 09:27:01 AM »
Ok last post on this thread because I'm getting to much off the topic. Mayor I know Ricky has a very strong arm and can throw. Making all the throws in Montgomery's offense is two different things and it requires a very smart quarterback. If there was a more mobile line in place I do believe Wells can move good enough to pick up the necessary yardage in certain situations. That would be a huge thing and open tons more with the offense. I agree with Fan the risk of a running quarterback is to great and there is always a trade off involved with giving up the pass. Yes 0505 next to impossible to find. As fast as llinois St. was on defense Davis would've had difficulty picking up much yardage on the ground
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:01:27 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »
No one is "spinning" anything. It was a good game and many people are happy despite the loss. The team is much better than I thought they could be.
I completely agree.  Coaching and new players on D have made HUGE difference.  Could be best D since JT era.  Wells had best 2nd half of career which is now just about 1 season long (something to keep in mind!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »
As I have already said, sit back and grab some popcorn, the "fun" is just getting started. We'll talk soon.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 07:53:37 AM »
As I have already said, sit back and grab some popcorn, the "fun" is just getting started. We'll talk soon.

what so you can be a post-game prognosticator? Do you give us political election predictions the day after the election as well? Well you are right. Last week was the most "fun" since a couple of the UNI games of the the first decade of the 2000's. Yes Bo yelled at the players and refs ...especially the refs & drew a flag. All the people in my area heard him yell at the defensive front