Author Topic: Ill st recap  (Read 23940 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ill st recap
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
The QB you warned about almost beat one of the best teams in the country.  We have nothing behind him right now and if you think Ricky Davis is the answer then you know less than you think.  I am not being a homer but don't you think Pelini isn't going to put the best guy out there.  He has a few more rings than u and being an armchair naysayer hater makes  any assessment from you pretty much garbage.  But keep being negative. Youngstown is full of your kind and you fit in very well.  Go Penguins!
Don't waste your time with him. Just ignore him.... I started doing that a few years ago.
Do you remember how many fortune tellers predicted "the world will end tomorrow"? We are still here. They kept repeating it every year. I guess, one of them might get it right one of these days....

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
Don't understand the Wells comment.  Yea the pick 6 was bad but we were 50% on third downs and almost pulled out the comeback.  He isn't the reason we lost.  We didn't stop the run gave up over200 yds and we gave up a couple of big plays the fake punt was devasting.  As for the Monty stuff our time of possession was almost 35 mins and we scored what 20 pets in the second half against a excellent team.  I thought the game plan was very good to b**** about him for this game is without merit.

I know people like to give Hunter a free pass and nothing is ever his fault because he is a hometown boy, but if he could run at all he gets into the end-zone on the extra point. You say, well running is not his game, passing is, well, the Missouri Valley Stats don't lie...http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ind-all.pdf, after yesterdays game he is listed in 10th place in Passing Efficiency @ 125.3. Spin that.

Nice to see he made the top ten!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 03:32:50 PM »
The QB you warned about almost beat one of the best teams in the country.  We have nothing behind him right now and if you think Ricky Davis is the answer then you know less than you think.  I am not being a homer but don't you think Pelini isn't going to put the best guy out there.  He has a few more rings than u and being an armchair naysayer hater makes  any assessment from you pretty much garbage.  But keep being negative. Youngstown is full of your kind and you fit in very well.  Go Penguins!
Don't waste your time with him. Just ignore him.... I started doing that a few years ago.
Do you remember how many fortune tellers predicted "the world will end tomorrow"? We are still here. They kept repeating it every year. I guess, one of them might get it right one of these days....

You got it, I stopped reading his posts also, Two others are close to joining the do-not-read list, one is very close.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:17:44 PM by guinpen »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »
I just think you're best chance to win in college is with a QB who is mobile and can run the read option or at least be a threat to run it. With our O-Line issues (which looked better than past weeks) Wells is a sitting duck most times. Definitely looked better in the 2nd half but there are still times he looks very shaky and unsure of where to go if his 1st read is not there. That play on 3rd down where he just threw the ball up for grabs in the end zone comes to mind. Not saying Davis is the answer, but he is a solid backup option to have.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:36:54 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »

The QB he warned about would have beaten one of the best teams in the country had he not thrown the pick 6 or could run 3 yards from the line of scrimmage, but let me ask you something, how do you know Davis can't play when he has never been given a chance to fail? And by the way, Pelini isn't putting the QB out there, Monty is.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 04:02:09 PM »
Wells has been extremely questionable with his interceptions, missed targets by several yards, and his extreme lack of mobility!!

I don't know how good Ricky Davis is nor does anyone else; because he is never given a chance. He deserves a chance and if he doesn't get that chance he will transfer out at the end of this year.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 04:21:07 PM »

The QB he warned about would have beaten one of the best teams in the country had he not thrown the pick 6 or could run 3 yards from the line of scrimmage, but let me ask you something, how do you know Davis can't play when he has never been given a chance to fail? And by the way, Pelini isn't putting the QB out there, Monty is.

Pretty sure that Monty works for BP

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »
I looked at Last years game we lost 35 to 21 we gained over 400 + yds in that game too.  Wells completed 66.7 of his passes yesterday threw for 240 he improved is completion percentage against them as well.  He threw a pick in both games.  But keep screaming for Davis reminds me when everybody wanted Zwick.  Go YSU!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »
Wells threw a pic six just minutes after BP told Bob Hannon that to win games like this we needed to be positive in the turnover margin.   

I guess it just depends on what your expectations are.  If you are content to remain a mid-pack MVFC team, then Wells would suffice.  He doesn't suck, but he doesn't have the skill set to allow YSU to excel in all three phases of the game.  He threw two INTs last week versus the worst pass D in the MVFC.  He makes dangerous passes rather than dump the ball. As was noted above, he is last in the MVFC in passing efficiency.  Overlooking that is like asking Mrs Lincoln, "other than that, how was the play?"

I still think YSU goes 7-4 and prolly makes the playoffs.  This was a bad match up with our mediocre run defense versus the best FCS rusher. We have one non-NDSU loss left, which is a tall order.

At least give Davis a shot, and then try to lure a mobile QB into transferring in the off season.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 05:25:17 PM »
Did anyone notice just how quickly the holes were closed on the interior of our offensive line by the Illinois St. defense.The line in place isn't mobile enough to support a running quarterback..at this point they are having difficulty just sustaining their blocks..I'm not sure who #71 is but he really had a tough game.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »
I'll add that 3-2 is where we'd be if the Wolf was never fired.  Lots of talent transferred in on defense.  To establish ourselves as one of the top MVFC teams...the offensive line and QB need upgrades.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
I looked at Last years game we lost 35 to 21 we gained over 400 + yds in that game too.  Wells completed 66.7 of his passes yesterday threw for 240 he improved is completion percentage against them as well.  He threw a pick in both games.  But keep screaming for Davis reminds me when everybody wanted Zwick.  Go YSU!
Some of the Browns' fans still screaming for Johnny

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »

Pretty sure that Monty works for BP

Yeah he does but Bo is a defensive minded coach and is trying to show Monty the respect he deserves by letting him run the offense his way. You will know when Bo has had enough. I just hope Monty staying with Hunter doesn't cost him his job. He is a good coach.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 06:33:52 PM »
I just want to honestly know why everyone is so high on Ricky Davis? I'm not saying he would be a bad QB, but honestly, why is he the answer to our problems? Because he's mobile?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »
I just want to honestly know why everyone is so high on Ricky Davis? I'm not saying he would be a bad QB, but honestly, why is he the answer to our problems? Because he's mobile?

I don't know if he's better, but worth trying.  Although a very poor test, he did well in the STFU game.  Yes, he is mobile, which adds another dimension to the offense.  I suspect he would have made the two point conversion last night.  A QB with stone feet and a porous OL are a poor combo...at least Davis could escape the pocket instead of unloading risky passes into double/triple coverages.

Maybe neither are what we need....but sticking with Wells is maintaining the status quo of near misses.