Author Topic: Vindicator YSU beat writer  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Vindicator YSU beat writer
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
Now that Joe Scalzo has left The Vindicator, does anyone know if the paper plans on replacing him with another YSU "beat writer?"  There has been nothing new written in the paper in a few weeks and last weeks article appeared to be from the South Dakota newspaper.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vindicator YSU beat writer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
Steve Wilaj is the new beat writer from what I gather.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »
Now that Joe Scalzo has left The Vindicator, does anyone know if the paper plans on replacing him with another YSU "beat writer?"  There has been nothing new written in the paper in a few weeks and last weeks article appeared to be from the South Dakota newspaper.
Nothing new in a few weeks? That's incorrect. Joe Scalzo's last day was last Friday and he wrote right up to the end. Steve Wilaj joined us officially Monday and had a story in Wednesday from Tuesday's presser.

Yes, The Argus-Leader was kind enough to help fill a one-game gap between Joe and Steve and Mick Garry's story was a good one. With Joe gone, getting on a plane last weekend wasn't an option for me or Tom Williams. The sports section does not spontaneously generate itself. Most YSU fans, I'm sure, can understand the situation. Many thanks to The Argus-Leader for the help.

Mick's story, by the way, was far better than the piece the Lincoln, Neb., AP guy filed from Vermillion, where he led with grown men from Nebraska traveling to USD to heckle Bo Pelini. Disappointed AP would give these people such a forum.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »
Nothing new in a few weeks? That's incorrect. Joe Scalzo's last day was last Friday and he wrote right up to the end. Steve Wilaj joined us officially Monday and had a story in Wednesday from Tuesday's presser.

Yes, The Argus-Leader was kind enough to help fill a one-game gap between Joe and Steve and Mick Garry's story was a good one. With Joe gone, getting on a plane last weekend wasn't an option for me or Tom Williams. The sports section does not spontaneously generate itself. Most YSU fans, I'm sure, can understand the situation. Many thanks to The Argus-Leader for the help.

Mick's story, by the way, was far better than the piece the Lincoln, Neb., AP guy filed from Vermillion, where he led with grown men from Nebraska traveling to USD to heckle Bo Pelini. Disappointed AP would give these people such a forum.

That seems very unprofessional for a journalist to do. I know bias seeps into stories occasionally (journalists are people too after all), but I mean, heckling the coach? That is utterly classless. I guess whatever makes him feel better given the denial he is in right now that Nebraska's Mike Riley is a better coach and a step in the right direction for Nebraska   ::)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:00:41 PM »
Ed,

Why didn't you go for that job?  Just curious.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:02:02 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »
Ed is Joe's (now Steve's) superior.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 11:01:37 PM »
So, what is the problem?  Tressel was AD and HC @YSU.  Vindy could save $$$.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 07:25:50 AM »
So, what is the problem?  Tressel was AD and HC @YSU.  Vindy could save $$$.

That is more work than one person can do.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 07:42:20 AM »
Replace Joe? That would be almost as thankless a job as following JT.

But seriously, I'm plenty busy in my role. Couldn't do what I need to do and cover the beat the way it should be covered.