Author Topic: The Defense  (Read 19593 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The Defense
« on: October 03, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »
The defense is for real and they are playing like title contenders.  Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offensive play calling is horrible and we could have won by 70 if Montgomery wasn't calling the plays

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: The Defense
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
Broken record. He is the OC ...deal with it. I think he is fantastic. There is unquestionably no other team, at the I-AA/FCS level with this high-end caliber of OC.

Start talking constructive criticisms of the offense:

1. Wells has been less than stellar and may never be any better.
2. O line is just too inexperienced (and lacks depth).
3. We do not have a DI big back ...sorry, but a TE is a TE is a TE. I liked the two-back look today, but not certain if we have enough beef for the xDSU's, UNI, and SIU.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 09:36:28 PM »
A win is always awesome, esp a win in the MVFC.....but look at these stats from last season....

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/14/team-all.pdf

Wells was picked off twice by the leagues worst team in INT.  USD has the worst D in the MVFC...and its not even close....and they froze out our offense after the first quarter.  The late TDs were due to opportunities from the D and special teams.

We put up 37 points and 400 yards on Pitt....hopefully the high snaps, dropped passes, procedural penalties are fixed before ISUr.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 09:42:27 PM »
Broken record. He is the OC ...deal with it. I think he is fantastic. There is unquestionably no other team, at the I-AA/FCS level with this high-end caliber of OC.

Start talking constructive criticisms of the offense:

1. Wells has been less than stellar and may never be any better.
2. O line is just too inexperienced (and lacks depth).
3. We do not have a DI big back ...sorry, but a TE is a TE is a TE. I liked the two-back look today, but not certain if we have enough beef for the xDSU's, UNI, and SIU.

You are alone in thinking he is fantastic. I just don't get it 1-AA fan.... How? Defense is great!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
I really do not care if I am alone. The bottom line is this. He is qualified beyond belief at this level. His offense is very high-powered and very explosive (quick-striking). In short, he can put a lot of points up on the board ...real quick.

-This is not a traditional YSU offense, no smash-mouth here. So I can truly understand why there is a love-hate relationship with the fans. However, is it any different then fans dealing with Bo's personality (which we were led to believe is loud and passionate) all of us were saying that it is okay ...as long as he wins. Coach M wants to win as well and his offenses were not completely stopped yesterday, nor any game this season. In fact, I can only think of 1 or 2 games where we were stopped on offense since coach M took over.

-Coach M's offense is still run-based and requires a great deal from the QB and the front line. Most teams cannot stop it, they can just "manage" it. Pitt stopped it at first, then they just tried to contain it & concentrated on putting up more points than we could.  However, if you are going to stop it, you need to break down our front & "blow it up"; we saw this happen at Pitt, RMU and yesterday.

-I would point back to coach Tressel and the most repetitive & predictable offenses. The only change-up was off-tackle left, as opposed to off-tackle right.

-We should all be impressed with how our defense has been able to adapt to the new system, especially when you consider how our systematic our offense is.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
I am giving monty the benefit of the doubt as well. You are not alone. This is not to say I don't think we are having issues offensively, but I don't put that blame on Monty.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:14:50 PM »
I really think we need to get to work up front. We are not breaking Ruiz free and to do that we need at least 1 or 2 more steps forward after the snap. Ruiz is not the outside threat, but I trust his vision and he is not seeing much this year.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:24:39 AM »
I really think we need to get to work up front. We are not breaking Ruiz free and to do that we need at least 1 or 2 more steps forward after the snap. Ruiz is not the outside threat, but I trust his vision and he is not seeing much this year.

I disagree.  Whenever we play a team with a good defense we cannot move the ball on them.  Do we have some outlier explosive plays, yes, but when facing good teams with this offense we lose two major stats.......TOP, and 3rd down conversions.  I have watched this pattern for 5 + years now.  Why, because against good teams we don't control the LOS and our running game gets shut down.  We were not able to run between the tackles on Pitt, and they played a base defense the entire game.  When Pitt needed to stop us, a light blitz folded the OL like a house of cards. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »
Dan your love affair with Monty is scary  :-\ Are you sure he's not related to you ;) FYI: he's not that good, be he's all we got  8)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
We won't be a great offense any time soon. Wells doesn't go through a progression of any sort on the majority of plays. I payed attention to this on the TV broadcast just to confirm what I have seen in person at the first 3 games.

Unless this changes I expect the low completion percentage will continue.

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »
The defense is for real and they are playing like title contenders.  Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offensive play calling is horrible and we could have won by 70 if Montgomery wasn't calling the plays

Carl is the magic behind Bo's defenses.  He is a top notch coach......

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »

Carl is the magic behind Bo's defenses.  He is a top notch coach......

My guess is Carl will be the HC at Akron after Terry Bowden is fired after this season, or YSU's next HC after the NE $$ runs out.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »
I believe Defense wins championships these stats below are scary how bad the Offense is right now.

1 05:37 Youngstown State - Ruiz, Martin 1 yd run. (Kennedy, Zak kick is good). Drive: 16 plays, 80 yards in 7:25. 7 - 0 This was all Offense ~ SD appears to make the adjustment this quick to what the "O" was wanting to do. No counter to the scheme by the YSU coaching staff

1 00:47 Youngstown State - Kennedy, Zak 33 yd field goal. Drive: 4 plays, -3 yards in 1:59. 10 - 0 Defense intercepts the ball gift wraps a very short field. 4 plays -3 yards yikes good news field goal was good.  ::)

2 12:19 Youngstown State - Williams, Andrew 51 yd pass from Wells, Hunter. (Kennedy, Zak kick is good).
Drive: 4 plays, 65 yards in 2:12. Nothing wrong here. 17 - 0

Note 3rd QTR scoreless ~ like most games last year. Without the new defense this is where YSU was losing games last year.

4 12:01 Youngstown State - Ruiz, Martin 2 yd run. (Kennedy, Zak kick is good). Drive: 1 plays, 2 yards in 0:06. Again set up and gift wrapped by the special teams. 24 - 0

4 4:46 Youngstown State - Kuhn, Shane 13 yd pass from Wells, Hunter. (Kennedy, Zak kick is good).
Drive: 2 plays, 15 yards in 0:41. Another gift for the inept Offense 31 - 3

Bottom line: We've got to play better to be a legitimate threat for the playoffs.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
Only 2 MVFC schools have currently a less productive passing offense (Misery and USD).

It may work against USD and NEC teams, but a strong D alone will not be enough versus the MVFC.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
A win is always awesome, esp a win in the MVFC.....but look at these stats from last season....

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/14/team-all.pdf

Wells was picked off twice by the leagues worst team in INT.  USD has the worst D in the MVFC...and its not even close....and they froze out our offense after the first quarter.  The late TDs were due to opportunities from the D and special teams.

We put up 37 points and 400 yards on Pitt....hopefully the high snaps, dropped passes, procedural penalties are fixed before ISUr.

Interesting stats,,, As bad as the defense was last year the offense wasn't much better according to the MVC.org  :(