Author Topic: YSU @ South Dakota: 10/03 3 pm  (Read 28322 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ South Dakota: 10/03 3 pm
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »
The fact is, YSU is loaded. There ARE issues with the QB. But the unknown at this point given the schedule ( Pitt and two Northeast Conf. teams) is coaching. I am well aware of the REAL situation at Nebraska. If Bo is the same coach here as he was at Nebraska, YSU is in for a major disappointment. The hype here has been unreal.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:56:24 PM by paladin »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »
Yep:

Strolo should have backed Tressel into a corner an honored Wolf's last year.  That way Nick Saban would come here after he loses another game at Alabama.   :o

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 05:44:32 PM »
We have nothing but respect for you. We have never been able to beat USD with any level of comfort. Kind of like UNI, just have our number. At this point, there been so many changes in our team to assess. However:

1. We have QB concerns. As common at this level, if we could combine all 3 of them ...he would be a great one. One excels at passing , one at running and one thinks more deeply. The passer is our starter and he has shown improvement this year over last.

2. We still look for the home run on most offensive plays; although we are using the Louisville option style less this year., so our clock management has improved. I hope to see more of that style of option (as we have had over the past few years) in league play ...we need it.

3. Running game is a bit different because of #2, but our #1 and #2 backs return.

4. Receiving packages are not necessarily a weakness, but I would agree with Power that they are untested. We are certainly deep at the position though.

5. Much like the Coyotes, Our middle D and secondary is completely different, so we are looking closely ourselves. :)

6. I agree with Power on special teams being a weakness, but they have made noticeable improvements. The kickers have really worked hard.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:48:06 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
usdcoyotes,

In response to your comments, neither team really has learned too much about themselves from the September games.  Your defensive numbers are good, but you have played a really bad Cal-Davis team and nonscholarship Drake.  Likewise, YSU actually has the best defensive statistics in FCS, but no one here really believes it.  That quirk resulted from playing two games against very poor offensive teams.

As far as this game goes, I agree that South Dakota must hold the ball, move the sticks, and keep the YSU offense on the sidelines.  The YSU offense scored 30 points and accumulated over 400 yards against Pittsburgh.  Giving us too many possessions would not be a good thing for you.

An early key will be if South Dakota can contain the YSU running game with your base defense.  If you are forced to move your safeties into the box, the YSU sophomore quarterback might have a big day.  He has been inconsistent this season but played the last two games in steady rain.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 09:05:42 AM »
I think our main weakness is ourselves.  The last few years we beat ourselves.  Missed assignments, stupid penalties, poor execution and a lack of leadership.  Plus a little mixture of poor clock management and bad play calling.  If you examine the Tressel era, when we were the best we did the above mentioned things at a high level an at times we weren't the best teams.  If the coaching staff can game plan, coach up, and minimize the things I mentioned we can get over the hump and get to the playoffs.  We have the talent and with 5 -7 plays the last few years that would have went our way , we won't have this conversation. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »
GO GUINS!!!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2015, 11:30:04 AM »
Very excited for this game, and to finally be in conference play! Let things turnout as they may, but GO GUINS!  fb

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »
YSUGO,

Your paragraph is a perfect summary of the past five years of Penguin football.  The simple sentence:"our main weakness is ourselves," just says it all.  Hopefully, we start to restore our pride today.