Author Topic: YSU @ South Dakota: 10/03 3 pm  (Read 28533 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ South Dakota: 10/03 3 pm
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 08:50:45 AM »
Hahaha....forecast went from 10% chance of rain on Saturday to 80%
Dumb clouds forgot it was an away game this weekend.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »
Bo has coached in the NFL, SEC, Big 12, and Big 10. I really doubt that with his experience he is going to have issues figuring out the MVC

he had issues stopping RMU from running the ball. you left out the part where he got FIRED from all those jobs as well

Going back to his days at Nebraska, Bo's scheme can produce epic meltdowns defensively.  So, regardless of what level of sports he coaches, good coaches can beat his schemes, and it happens over-and-over again.

Here is a chart a Nebraska buddy sent me about Bo's defenses in some games and how they rank in the HISTORY of Nebraska football.  Not reassuring...

I guess you have to be a Nebraska fan to get. Never have been ...never will be. Kind of a stupid graphic ...very childish. "Led to flu shots". "Killed program, beginning of franks demise" "A devastating, groundbreaking loss"?  FYI, that is the first time I ever saw the word "groundbreaking" used in a negative fashion. You break ground to build something ...not usually a negative event.

How about this. Never lost more than 4 games in a season, and only more than 3 regular season games once. That is is a .713 winning percentage. Made the AP top-15 every year after 2008. You should also note he the was the DC in the LSU national championship team of 2007. He is a successful P5 coach and we are lucky to have him. He will be happier here and yes he may leave very soon ... he may not, He may work out ... he may not.  He handled his first radio show well & I would have killed to be there in person. At the end of the day, he is doing what is best for our team and program and has my support. If and when he does something to change my mind about him ...I will let you know.

As for you ... if you are a Nebraska fan; we are not the board for you as we could give a rat's a$$ about a team from Nebraska unless they are lining up against us. If you are a Penguin fan ...act like it. I could care less if Bo puts a headset on his cat ...as long as the person on the other end helps us win football games.

Massey predicts a 7 win season for NE...which may be optimistic after a 2-2 start.  BP never had less than a 9 win season...even his first season was a 9 win season with a bowl win...the second and third seasons were 10 win seasons.

So, I guess a 7 win season could be considered "groundbreaking"?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »
Bo has coached in the NFL, SEC, Big 12, and Big 10. I really doubt that with his experience he is going to have issues figuring out the MVC

he had issues stopping RMU from running the ball. you left out the part where he got FIRED from all those jobs as well

Going back to his days at Nebraska, Bo's scheme can produce epic meltdowns defensively.  So, regardless of what level of sports he coaches, good coaches can beat his schemes, and it happens over-and-over again.

Here is a chart a Nebraska buddy sent me about Bo's defenses in some games and how they rank in the HISTORY of Nebraska football.  Not reassuring...

I guess you have to be a Nebraska fan to get. Never have been ...never will be. Kind of a stupid graphic ...very childish. "Led to flu shots". "Killed program, beginning of franks demise" "A devastating, groundbreaking loss"?  FYI, that is the first time I ever saw the word "groundbreaking" used in a negative fashion. You break ground to build something ...not usually a negative event.

How about this. Never lost more than 4 games in a season, and only more than 3 regular season games once. That is is a .713 winning percentage. Made the AP top-15 every year after 2008. You should also note he the was the DC in the LSU national championship team of 2007. He is a successful P5 coach and we are lucky to have him. He will be happier here and yes he may leave very soon ... he may not, He may work out ... he may not.  He handled his first radio show well & I would have killed to be there in person. At the end of the day, he is doing what is best for our team and program and has my support. If and when he does something to change my mind about him ...I will let you know.

As for you ... if you are a Nebraska fan; we are not the board for you as we could give a rat's a$$ about a team from Nebraska unless they are lining up against us. If you are a Penguin fan ...act like it. I could care less if Bo puts a headset on his cat ...as long as the person on the other end helps us win football games.

I am a Guin fan.  Both parents attended YSU.  My roommate is a Nebraska fan.  So I have a unique perspective on Bo as OUR coach.

I think he will do a great job back in Youngstown.

PS-  Bo's teams never finished in the top 15, except maybe once, and the last few years were barely ranked.

Offline k9_r

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 05:18:03 PM »

What? Pelini didn't get fired FROM ALL THOSE JOBS. He's been fired once and that happened last December, right?

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »

What? Pelini didn't get fired FROM ALL THOSE JOBS. He's been fired once and that happened last December, right?
Only job he was fired from was Nebraska.. Twice.   Not sure if he was fired from 49ers, or he left for Green Bay voluntarily.

Offline GoYotes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2015, 05:51:58 PM »
This weeks game is the Yotes homecoming, known as Dakota Days (D-Days) so it should be a full house in the Dome.  Any Penguin fans making the trip to Vermillion should be sure to order their tickets online ahead of time.  There are still tickets available, but it will likely sellout from the walk-up crowd on gameday.

In addition to the D-Days excitement, there is also a lot of buzz about Bo Pelini.  Vermillion is about 3 hours from Lincoln and a lot of Yote fans are also fans of the Huskers.

As far as the game itself, really don't know what to expect.  I think the Yotes are an improved team over last year, but how that translates to wins and losses is hard to tell.  We are pretty much injury free so far this year (with the exception of our starting QB, Kevin Earl.  But he has been out since spring ball and his backup, Ryan Saeger, played some last year and has been doing a good job so far.  This game will be a good measuring stick of what sort of year the Yotes will have. 

The following link is to the Yotes weekly TV report.  Not as much coverage this week as normal, since coming off a bye week, but starting at about the 12:30 mark is a discussion of the season to date and expectations for the game this weekend.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVIzKq2n0s4#action=share  Jay Elsen, who hosts the weekly show, also is the play by play person for Midco TV's broadcasts and does a good job.  I believe the game is being carried in the Youngstown area and I assume they will be picking up the Midco feed.  The Midco feed is also available on ESPN3
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:55:01 PM by GoYotes »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »
Hi, Go Yotes, you're just the guy I was looking for.  What the "heck" is a Yote?  (obviously short for Coyote, but is that a common term for coyotes out there or is it unique to the SD sports teams like "Quins" is here?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
Hi, Go Yotes, you're just the guy I was looking for.  What the "heck" is a Yote?  (obviously short for Coyote, but is that a common term for coyotes out there or is it unique to the SD sports teams like "Quins" is here?

Short for ^ Guins = Penguins etc.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:19:45 AM by ysubigred »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »
 :) ;) YSUBIGRED, LOL!!   :D ;D
Just where the "YOTES" are headed Saturday!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline GoYotes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 10:27:49 AM »

I have no idea how it originated, other than the obvious abbreviation for Coyotes.  The accepted pronunciation is Ki - yotes and not Ki -Yo -Tees.   Also easier to say Go Yotes than Go Coyotes, especially if pregame festivities have slurred your speech.

PS - Only the best have Go in their message board name.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how the Guins stack up against a conference foe.  Very difficult to get a read on a team when they play a P5 school and 2 partial scholarship squads.

Offline usdcoyotes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
Hello Guin fans.  Long time USD fan here extending an invitation to anyone coming out to join our tailgate prior to the game.  We have plenty of beverages, one former player has a Bloody Mary bar, another has a portable bar that he makes all these weird concoctions for the ladies, and plenty of food.

Very interesting game, at least in our eyes.  I understand the lack of respect you have for us, we haven't showed well since joining The Valley, but maybe we might be on the mend.  I believe you are favorites heading into the game, and rightfully so, but I don't think this is a team you are going to blow out.  I think your coach is in for a very interesting day with respect to the student section right on top of him.  His legacy from Nebraska ( right across the river) precedes him.  Also his fondness for cats will be well demonstrated and on exhibit.

Regarding the game, our defense is much improved, especially the secondary. A lot of new kids up front, transplants from the offense, but very athletic kids.  We have one back that is a grinder.  I think our one chance in winning this game lies with our kicking game.  Our punter/kicker has a huge leg, and if he's on, and we can hold the ball for more than three plays at a time so our D rests, we may have a game.

Anyway, let me know if any of you are planning to come, and I'll get you pointedly in the right direction for our tailgate.  I think you'll find Midwestern people, specifically South Dakotans, to be very hospitable people.

Tell me about the strengths and weaknesses of your team, and how you honestly assess the game?  Safe travels.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:40:15 PM by usdcoyotes »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »
Hello Guin fans.  Long time USD fan here extending an invitation to anyone coming out to join our tailgate prior to the game.  We have plenty of beverages, one former player has a Bloody Mary bar, another has a portable bar that he makes all these weird concoctions for the ladies, and plenty of food.

Very interesting game, at least in our eyes.  I understand the lack of respect you have for us, we haven't showed well since joining The Valley, but maybe we might be on the mend.  I believe you are favorites heading into the game, and rightfully so, but I don't think this is a team you are going to blow out.  I think your coach is in for a very interesting day with respect to the student section right on top of him.  His legacy from Nebraska ( right across the river) precedes him.  Also his fondness for cats will be well demonstrated and on exhibit.

Regarding the game, our defense is much improved, especially the secondary. A lot of new kids up front, transplants from the offense, but very athletic kids.  We have one back that is a grinder.  I think our one chance in winning this game lies with our kicking game.  Our punter/kicker has a huge leg, and if he's on, and we can hold the ball for more than three plays at a time so our D rests, we may have a game.

Anyway, let me know if any of you are planning to come, and I'll get you pointedly in the right direction for our tailgate.  I think you'll find Midwestern people, specifically South Dakotans, to be very hospitable people.

Tell me about the strengths and weaknesses of your team, and how you honestly assess the game?  Safe travels.

I think our weaknesses are at the receiver position, LB, and special teams.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »
Hello Guin fans.  Long time USD fan here extending an invitation to anyone coming out to join our tailgate prior to the game. 
Very interesting game, at least in our eyes.  I understand the lack of respect you have for us, we haven't showed well since joining The Valley, but maybe we might be on the mend.  I believe you are favorites heading into the game, and rightfully so, but I don't think this is a team you are going to blow out. 

I certainly would NOT say that we have a lack of respect for you.  We played hot and cold against Pitt, but gave up big plays; Robert Morris game was as sloppy as the weather and we hope it was a wake up call; St. Francis didn't exactly challenge us in any area.  YSU has talent, but so far hasn't put it all together.  This game will help clarify how well we could do this season.

May it not snow in the Dakota's until we are safely home.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:53:01 PM by ScarletRook »