Author Topic: YSU @ South Dakota: 10/03 3 pm  (Read 28549 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ South Dakota: 10/03 3 pm
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 10:05:40 PM »
Since we survived, the Robert Morris letdown was a good thing that should lead to proper preparation for the game in South Dakota.  Hopefully, Pelini got the message across that playing down to an opponent, a Wolford trait since that horrible loss to Missouri State in his second year, will not be tolerated.  We did play a dynamic game against St. Francis in even worse weather.  I fully expect a focused team and maximum effort this Saturday.

Did not South Dakota lose their starting quarterback in the pre-season?  The new guy has three games of experience, but he is the substitute.  That running back is very good but not in the same class as Ruiz....or Webb.  As is the case just about all the time, this game will be decided in the trenches.  I will be surprised if their offensive line can handle our defensive front for the entire game.  As long as our o-line does not repeat the Robert Morris performance and our special teams don't implode, we should impose our will. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 08:53:01 AM »
Bo has coached in the NFL, SEC, Big 12, and Big 10. I really doubt that with his experience he is going to have issues figuring out the MVC

I'm sure your right,, he just won't have all the $$ he had in the other jobs for the road trips. Looks like your coach needs help figuring out the Ivy's  ;D

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »
Bo has coached in the NFL, SEC, Big 12, and Big 10. I really doubt that with his experience he is going to have issues figuring out the MVC

he had issues stopping RMU from running the ball. you left out the part where he got FIRED from all those jobs as well

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »

he had issues stopping RMU from running the ball. you left out the part where he got FIRED from all those jobs as well
Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:15 AM »
Like any coach at this level, winning to a two-step process:

1. Regular Season
2. Play-off

Contrary to what anyone says, speaking strictly from a week-to-week (win vs. loss) coaching perspective, it is much more difficult to be successful at the I-AA/FCS level, that it is at the IA/FBS level. Look at the old Big East (basketball) as an example ...those coaches knew the conference was going to go at least 4-5 deep into the play-off. So their goal was to finish in that range & get to the post-season. Right now, the MVFC is becoming very similar. However for most conferences, you had better win or you are not seeing the post-season.

In FBS (for most teams) the season is everything; you hope to get a bowl bid and make some money and memories. Mostly the latter. So if you want a good bowl game to make the money ...you had better win in the regular season. You had better win your trophy games and homecoming.

Those who say that coach P is here to relax, are "way off the mark". He can do more relaxing at a larger program than here.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
^^^ GOOD POST^^^

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 10:53:07 AM »
The Yotes joined the MVFC in 2012, and YSU has won all three meetings with USD (13-10 in 2012, 38-34 in 2013, and 28-17 in 2014).

Last year, entering the fourth quarter at the Castle, USD was leading 17-7 until YSU scored three touchdowns in the final quarter.  YSU dominated the stats (except only converted 1/10 third downs) and had 557 yards of total offense.

The Yotes are 2-1 this year with a a 34-0 loss to K State, and wins over two feeble opponents: 27-17 over UC Davis and 52-0 over nonscholly Drake.  The last conference win for the Yotes was @ UNI on 10/19/2013.

Last week versus Drake, RB Trevor Bouma ran for 118 yards and 3 TDs.  QB Ryan Saeger passed for 2 TDs, no INTs, and 157 yards.

Massey gives YSU a 63% chance of winning, and predicts a score of 26-21.
My pick in this one 31-20 Guins. The only 2 close games S.D. had last season in conference play were to us and Northern Iowa. They won't go winless this season in the M.V.C..It will be very interesting to see what they try and do to match up with our running game..that seems to be a primary concern of theirs as we averaged 7 yards a carry last season That should give us more opportunities in the passing game.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:38:07 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »

Going back to his days at Nebraska, Bo's scheme can produce epic meltdowns defensively.  So, regardless of what level of sports he coaches, good coaches can beat his schemes, and it happens over-and-over again.

Here is a chart a Nebraska buddy sent me about Bo's defenses in some games and how they rank in the HISTORY of Nebraska football.  Not reassuring...

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 03:35:22 PM »

What you fail to account for is depth of the teams.  When he has depth it doesn't happen.  Nebraska cannot recruit like it once could.

Going back to his days at Nebraska, Bo's scheme can produce epic meltdowns defensively.  So, regardless of what level of sports he coaches, good coaches can beat his schemes, and it happens over-and-over again.

Here is a chart a Nebraska buddy sent me about Bo's defenses in some games and how they rank in the HISTORY of Nebraska football.  Not reassuring...

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »

:o Seems your Nebraska buddy is a bit of a dick,, how's his new coach looking on "D"  ::)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:20:15 PM by ysubigred »

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »

What you fail to account for is depth of the teams.  When he has depth it doesn't happen.  Nebraska cannot recruit like it once could.

Agree.  Talent and depth can help a lot.

But...the only year that is not on the list, of the seven he coached, is 2009.  And I think he had a guy named Suh there in 2009.

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »

:o Seems your Nebraska buddy is a bit of a dick,, how's his new coach looking on "D"  ::)

Haha.  I will pass that on.....

He personally didn't hate Pelini.  But some of the stories he tells...OMG.  But I think some of that stuff happens everywhere in big time football.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »
They are celebrating "Dakota Day" on gameday. Should make for a rowdy crowd.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 08:51:12 PM »
USD defense is much improved.  They are also running the QB and this causes problems.  The line on the game is 3.5 in favor of us. They sold out their dome from what I understand.  Going to need to have silent count ready and practiced.  Their special teams are outstanding.  They will have the opportunity to pin us back with field position.  I foresee a low scoring game.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:52:28 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 10:22:28 PM »

I guess you have to be a Nebraska fan to get. Never have been ...never will be. Kind of a stupid graphic ...very childish. "Led to flu shots". "Killed program, beginning of franks demise" "A devastating, groundbreaking loss"?  FYI, that is the first time I ever saw the word "groundbreaking" used in a negative fashion. You break ground to build something ...not usually a negative event.

How about this. Never lost more than 4 games in a season, and only more than 3 regular season games once. That is is a .713 winning percentage. Made the AP top-15 every year after 2008. You should also note he the was the DC in the LSU national championship team of 2007. He is a successful P5 coach and we are lucky to have him. He will be happier here and yes he may leave very soon ... he may not, He may work out ... he may not.  He handled his first radio show well & I would have killed to be there in person. At the end of the day, he is doing what is best for our team and program and has my support. If and when he does something to change my mind about him ...I will let you know.

As for you ... if you are a Nebraska fan; we are not the board for you as we could give a rat's a$$ about a team from Nebraska unless they are lining up against us. If you are a Penguin fan ...act like it. I could care less if Bo puts a headset on his cat ...as long as the person on the other end helps us win football games.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:29:41 PM by IAA Fan »