Author Topic: New East Side Press Box  (Read 14726 times)

ValleyTalk

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: New East Side Press Box
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
I like the idea because it looks like a D6 little dinky press box over there right now but I would first like them to add more seating on that side. I understand, with our low attendance that has to improve but it just looks so mismatched with the west side seating so many.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
Scalzo leaving fyi....

Joe Scalzo ‏@JoeScalzo1  7m7 minutes ago

Since the news is leaking out, I'm happy to say I'll be joining @CantonRepdotcom on Oct. 5. It's been an amazing 14 years, Youngstown.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »
The current East "press box" if that is what you call it, isn't as nice as Jackson-Milton High School for crying out loud!  This joke needs fixed!! This isn't a moment too soon IMO!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »
Sad to see Scalzo go. I enjoyed his articles. Wish him the best of luck, and I wonder who is going to cover the Penguins for the Vindicator now?

In that article, Strollo admits we dont play Kent or Akron in football because he is "stubborn" (his own words) regarding the stipulation that if we play them it is a home and home game and not a one off game.

In his defense, he is right. Basically every other sport we have plays them in home and home series. Why should football be different? Still wish we did have those games. In any case, I pointed it out because it was interesting to me that it was included in the article. Also seems like we will not get that to happen anytime soon sadly.

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 01:00:27 PM »
I like the idea because it looks like a D6 little dinky press box over there right now but I would first like them to add more seating on that side. I understand, with our low attendance that has to improve but it just looks so mismatched with the west side seating so many.

The idea last year was to just enlarge the eastside broadcast booth from two small ones to one larger one, I do like this new concept much better by making it a lot bigger to accommodate both television and the press. That might help with your mismatch problem ysufan0505.

Myself, I'd rather see additional seating in the north end zone if it would ever happen, it would make the Ice Castle feel and look more enclosed.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »
In that article, Strollo admits we dont play Kent or Akron in football because he is "stubborn" (his own words) regarding the stipulation that if we play them it is a home and home game and not a one off game.

I noticed that as well.  My 2 cents worth.....play them in their building.  Who cares?  Make them pay what they are paying other schools and it is like a home game financially.  Can't cost all that much to travel to either place, right?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »

I noticed that as well.  My 2 cents worth.....play them in their building.  Who cares?  Make them pay what they are paying other schools and it is like a home game financially.  Can't cost all that much to travel to either place, right?

Can't is paying Kennesaw $315K (!) to play there. We are only getting $400k from Pitt. We don't expect any other FBS team to play a home and home. It may be difficult to keep getting P5 games ( Pitt may follow the FCS ban that the BIG and now WVU have), and we may have to resort to G5 OOC games. Strollo is an absolute moron.  These games would be a win for YSU from every angle.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 02:39:21 PM »
 Nope, home and home.  I finally agree with Strollo on something!  Both Akron and Kent think there "stuff" doesn't stink.  Well, as long as they are fudging ticket sales etc. to even stay in D-1 they can go pound salt IMO.  Look at what Michigan State is doing.  Home and home with MAC schools.  Good enough for the Big 10, good enough for high and mighty Akron and Kent!  Bet it would be their biggest attendance games of the season.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »
Interesting enough, I work with alot of U of A grads because I work in Akron. They gave free season tickets to graduates and they still have no attendance for football lol.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 03:06:01 PM »
YO, they have HUGE attendance issues.  They need us more than we need them, that's why I'm with Strollo, home & home or, C Ya. 

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 04:11:32 PM »
Akron and Kent may stink and their attendance pathetic but at the end of the day they are still FBS and YSU is FCS.  No FBS team will ever travel to and FCS school in the state of college football the way it is today.  I say we go play them year after year and beat them good and embarass them in front of their 200 fans.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »
Akron and Kent may stink and their attendance pathetic but at the end of the day they are still FBS and YSU is FCS.  No FBS team will ever travel to and FCS school in the state of college football the way it is today.  I say we go play them year after year and beat them good and embarass them in front of their 200 fans.

Nailed it.

If the day comes, and I think it will, that P5 schools are no longer an option, I'd like to see 2 MAC East games (except replace U Mass w/ Toledo).  Get off the bus, scorch em, get the check, and then get back on the bus.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 07:52:40 PM »
LOL ...we are quite a ways away from scorching most any MAC team, especially UT.

Speaking of Toledo, did you see who is their DC & set school records in 2014 for defense? The just held Arkansas to 12-points & he received national defensive coach of the week honors? Coach H.

In any case, we must have return engagements. If we throw anyone "a bone" it should be Kent or Akron with a 2-for-1. Two at their place with a YSU home game sandwiched in the middle. I could accept that. Then if they drop us after game-1, we cancel game-3.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 08:53:53 PM »
After our showing against Robert Morris last week, I wouldn't bank of beating Can't or Akron. No matter how bad they are