Author Topic: The up side  (Read 13256 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The up side
« on: September 12, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »
Okay it was ugly, real ugly. Offense just could not get in sync, but when it had to the offense did what it had to do, barely.

I thought that the defense looked good for the most part, the first td by RMU was a shock and that long drive that was all on the ground being the obvious exceptions.

Time will tell against other teams but we had good pressure on the qb and did not allow anything over the middle.

Kicking game needs work.

We won, so learn from it and move on.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The up side
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »
I'm really searching for anything positive to say after watching, in brutal conditions, perhaps the worse "win" in YSU history.  I did come up with this: we have outscored our opponents in the second half in both games, that is certainly different from the past five years.

Also, assuming the scoreboard was accurate, Wells was 5-20 in the first half.  Therefore, he must have been 6-7 in the second half.  This is not a knock against Wells who clearly does not want to run.  But I would have put in Davis for a few series and run some option.  Would have seen if that team could defend the run from sideline to sideline.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 11:54:50 PM »
Feels like an irritating loss.  We shouldn't have played so bad. Disappointing and makes me not want to be a YSU fan anymore.  I don't know how much more I can take.  Mediocrity sucks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:38:31 AM by penguinpower »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 12:37:50 AM »
All I can say is yeesh  :-[

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 06:14:48 AM »
We were 5 of 17 on  3rd down against an inferior opponent.  Sickening.  We were not greatly successful at stopping the run and the special teams were equivalent to a high school.  WTF are we doing?  Stupid penalties killed us too.  What is up with the OL?  Not a fan of Shane Montgomery's offense against teams with good defenses now losing faith we can beat inferior opponents with 24 scholarships.  If the team really wants playoffs they have to pick it up about 1000%. 

I watched the post game press conference on YouTube.  If anyone thinks this game is a good idea I have to say you are wrong.  The kids hinted to their level of focus because of the opponent.  We should have curb stomped RMU.  There is not a lot of fan interest and this game does nothing to prepare our football team for the playoffs.  All it does is reinforce bad play by getting a W with poor preparation and poor play on the field.   This is not a formula for success and not a good way to reinforce the behavior of 18-22 year olds.  If you want to be the best you've got to beat the best.  Shaking my head

And BTW St.Francis played Towson tough.  Wonder how seriously we take them.

Meanwhile Northern Iowa beat Eastern Washington in a marquee type of game that tested their defense and is preparing them for playoffs.  We are pissimg around struggling to beat a lower team.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:21:56 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »
All the more reason that we should be playing these teams. Again, until I see another trophy, I want to play no one of any ability OOC (aside from our $$ game). Sorry Power, I know you are shaking your head in disappointment, as we all are, but UNI IS a play-off caliber team ...YSU is NOT.

You should also not disrespect RMU, they are working their way up to a full scholarship program and they should be a regular opponent. In a couple of years they are not going to be playing us without a return game & it is nice to have them close.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:15:25 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »
I still believe in the penguins and everyone just needs to remain calm. They still have a chance to become a very good team as Pelini has stated in his most recent press conference. I think one thing we can agree on is Robert Morris was not as bad as everyone thought and coming off the Pitt game and the weather conditions this game had the potential to be a trap game. They were solid and a much better team then St. FRANCIS and Duquesne from a year ago. I have been a big supporter of Shane Montgomery all along but some of the play calling the last two weeks has been very bizarre. The offense needs to get on the same page and fast. Wells has not been sharp at times and his receivers need to start catching more balls. Many disagreement's on the sidelines between the receiver coach Crist, Wells, and the receiver's themselves. Mobility on the offensive line remains a question mark alot of quick defensive fronts still await. I think the kicking game will continue to have it's up and downs each week during the course of the season. I feel very good about the defense moving forward   

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »
All the more reason that we should be playing these teams. Again, until I see another trophy, I want to play no one of any ability OOC (aside from our $$ game). Sorry Power, I know you are shaking your head in disappointment, as we all are, but UNI IS a play-off caliber team ...YSU is NOT.

You should also not disrespect RMU, they are working their way up to a full scholarship program and they should be a regular opponent. In a couple of years they are not going to be playing us without a return game & it is nice to have them close.

you dont win trophies with Shane Montgomery as the OC. Thats a fact, guy has never won anything in his coaching career, wont start now.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »
These games can't be "won." If you clobber them, then you were expected to. It is all risk with trivial, if any, reward.  One player commented after the game that they didn't get hyped for this game, and overlooked them.

There's no polishing a turd.  RMU lost in regulation the week before to a nonscholly team.  This season they are expected to finish in last place...in the NEC.

Heacock or the Wolf would be scorched for such poor preparation.  BP gets a pass...but this is the last one.

Many fans, accustomed to mediocrity in the YSU FB program, may see that nothing has changed.  This game was a bucket of cold water on BP's homecoming and hopes of renewing the winning tradition.  BP had the audacity to implore the fans after the game to fill the stands.  It's a two way street...you need to do your part BP...and you haven't so far.

The upside?  I think it'll be a wake up call. STFU will get lit up next week.  I still think 7-4 is likely...doubt playoffs but it's possible...but am edging closer to thinking 6-5...especially if the MOV versus STFU is < 21.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
Well Wolf's specialty is O-Line, and that seems to be our biggest area of decline from last year.

Not sad at all that he is gone, but I didn't expect this either. I'm willing to give the passing and rushing games a free pass for now until I see improvement by the big guys up front.

Special teams are dicey, but we all had a hunch that would be the case.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
This one was on the offense. It certainly looked out of sync in the first half. Wells was bad, and the receivers were even worse. Second half they played better, but not much better. Wells better get his act together quick or he is going to struggle in conference play.

Overall, wasn't all that upset with the defense. They gave up the early TD after we coughed it up, and they played pretty solid the rest of the way. Still you would think we would have done much better against the run being they couldn't pass whatsoever.

It was ugly for sure and I was not happy, but it is far too early to go into panic mode. Last year we played absolutely terrible vs. Duquesne (esp. in the 2nd half) and the next thing you know we started 7-1.

Let's see how we perform next week before we panic. St. Francis still has that RB (Dickson) that ran all over us last year.  We shall see if we can play better this year against him.

Go Guins!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:10:59 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 03:07:38 PM »
Run defense has to be shored up but overall the defense definitely kept us in the game. LeRoy with another INT. Rivers is an absolute stud.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »
Run defense has to be shored up but overall the defense definitely kept us in the game. LeRoy with another INT. Rivers is an absolute stud.

Yep, if we had LeRoy instead of no.8 at safety. We probably would have gone to the playoff and Wolf would still be the coach.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 08:48:59 AM »
This is humorous reading all the aftermath of a badly played game.

1. This football team is 95% of the greatest recruiter ever.. The wolf man LOL!! (Sorry but I did not notice all the talent).

2. We still have the dumbest "O" coordinator since JK..

3. Maybe Bobby Morris is actually a decent team that wanted it more?

Hang in there gang we'll be alright. Can't be any worse than the last 5 years.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
Well Wolf's specialty is O-Line, and that seems to be our biggest area of decline from last year.
Not sad at all that he is gone, but I didn't expect this either. I'm willing to give the passing and rushing games a free pass for now until I see improvement by the big guys up front.

Special teams are dicey, but we all had a hunch that would be the case.

LOL!! Wolf's "O" line looked great against Jerry's kids and the blind center... But I see your point  ;)