Author Topic: MVFC after the initial week  (Read 31238 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
MVFC after the initial week
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:25:14 AM »
Some surprising developments after week 1.  The three teams with the most hype all got off to less than stellar starts.  Illinois State looked inept against Iowa, despite the two dangerous weapons in their backfield.  The 31-14 score is misleading as they got two late touchdowns against Iowa's reserves in garbage time.  Northern Iowa was even more inept against lowly (by FBS standards) Iowa State, getting crushed 31-7.  And for those of you that missed this, Montana at home lost to Cal Poly, 20-19, on a last second field goal.  That is the same offense that torched NDSU.  Montana also gave up 330 yards on the ground.  Remember how bad NDSU running backs looked in that contest.

The middle of the conference did quite well.  SDSU scored at will against a very bad (by FBS standards) Kansas team.  Southern Illinois lost a shootout to Indiana, although Indiana suspended nine players just before the kickoff.  Western Illinois had an easy time with a bad Eastern Illinois team.

Bottom line.  The MVFC looks not only tough but wide open.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MVFC after the initial week
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »
I agree, I was really surprised Illinois St did not give Iowa a better game. Thought they might even be able to pull out the W. UNI also shocked me as well getting smacked around. MVFC is wide open boys.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
Instead of saying EIU is bad, I'd say mediocre.  WIU ripped them, and we lost to WIU last season.  This year we play them away and we will have our hands full.  There are no easy games in the MVFC.  We only beat Misery St by one score last year.  The only reason SIU lost to Indiana was the decision not to go for the PAT and a tie.  NDSU lost a lot of their D to graduation, and now have an Achille's heel to exploit. 

As far as YSU goes, some of our deficiencies improved, and some of our strengths have weakened.  Overall we are going to be more competitive in the MVFC, but can only afford two more losses in eight games...a tall order.  3 MVC losses may get us in....esp w/ MEAC forgoing post-season....but no guarantees.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
Looking ahead to our 1st conference opponent South Dakota. Probably the funniest thing in this shutout defeat to K-State was the marching bands performance. K-State led in overall yardage 330-260 and returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. The numbers could be somewhat deceiving because the K-State Qb got injured early on and did not return. Still the South Dakota Qb played well, and their defense did a pretty good job in the Red zone. The coyotes running game really struggled and only averaged 1.7 a carry. This is a game we can't take lightly

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 07:14:33 PM »
There are no easy games in the MVFC. I'm hoping Bo Pelini won't let the team take any team lightly, even Robert Morris or Saint Francis.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »
I hope the pay attention to RM, just so they don't get hurt, but from a football prospective, they don't pose much of a threat. SF should at least provide an opportunity to break a sweat for the starters.  We had to play a lot of players in Pitt because of the weather, RM and SF should allow that to continue, which can do nothing but help when we get to conference play.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »
Nice to see the conference go 4-0 against the Big Sky conference over the weekend. Our first conference opponent South Dakota picked up a good win against a U.C. Davis that returned 18 starters and our expected to be very competitive in conference play

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
Nice to see the conference go 4-0 against the Big Sky conference over the weekend. Our first conference opponent South Dakota picked up a good win against a U.C. Davis that returned 18 starters and our expected to be very competitive in conference play

Looks like SD is a much improved team from last year and they gave YSU fits.  No easy games this year for YSU. The target is on our back just having a high profile HC.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »
There are no easy games in the MVFC. I'm hoping Bo Pelini won't let the team take any team lightly, even Robert Morris or Saint Francis.
You look like a prophet now, YO! 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »

and if you look at our games against them ...we sure do struggle with them. Kind of like WKU when they joined the conference.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »

I hope that continues, because I still say this team is talented enough to go 8-4 and make playoffs.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »

I hope that continues, because I still say this team is talented enough to go 8-4 and make playoffs.

I'm with you on that!  Only thing that concerns me is Wells plays like a Florida QB in bad weather not a Canton OH boy!   

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 05:41:50 AM »

The problem is we only play 11 games this year. Are we going to go 8-3 or 7-4 and if so, do we still make the playoffs at 7-4?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 07:50:19 AM »
The problem is we only play 11 games this year. Are we going to go 8-3 or 7-4 and if so, do we still make the playoffs at 7-4?

Yeah I meant 8-3.  But I think theres a good chance we could make playoffs either way.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
South Dakota State is home this weekend to Robert Morris..Does anyone look for a close game or upset ??