Author Topic: The Defense Also Let Us Down...  (Read 23984 times)

Offline JustGuinBaby

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
The Defense Also Let Us Down...
« on: September 05, 2015, 05:19:05 PM »
I see everyone jumping all over Montgomery, which is understandable, you MUST score TD's in the Red Zone. And the play calling is suspect at times. BUT if you score 37 points you SHOULD WIN....The defense gave up far too many big plays. That type of D, will kill us if it continues. BTW, great decision to replace McFadden on the KO's

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Defense Also Let Us Down...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »
the defense had 4 turnovers and something like 5 sacks, No they did not let us down, They played well enough to win but when the offense goes something like 4 for 16 on 3rd downs, that D is going to get tired and give up big plays. When your defense gets you 4 turnovers you SHOULD WIN.

this is 100% on the offense, not even close.

Offline JustGuinBaby

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 06:01:07 PM »
I agree, the D made many big plays, but they gave up just as many if not more. If giving up 45 points is well enough to win, it might be a long season. The bright side it's only game one.

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
I agree, the D made many big plays, but they gave up just as many if not more. If giving up 45 points is well enough to win, it might be a long season. The bright side it's only game one.

That happens when your offense cant do anything, all the way down from the HS level to the Pros.  if you cant win being +4 in turnovers and your defense gets 5 sacks, then your offense is always going to be the problem. teams historically that are +4 in turnovers win NFL games over 95% of the time, thats a proven fact. why cant YSU win? because of the offense.

giving up 45 points doesn't mean anything. they gave up 45 because the offense couldn't keep them off the field a normal offense and YSU gives up 20 at best.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:03:17 AM »
Boy are you guys tough on our kids!  My take on this was we played great,  Played hard to the very end, (which didn't happen under Wolford) and we got beat by a better team.  Pitt was stronger inside, bigger and faster outside.  They couldn't stop Stubbs last time we played, couldn't stop him this time either.  They also couldn't stop Webb.  They are going to give up a LOT of points to D-1 schools.  Somebody ripped me Friday for complementing the 2 deep depth chart because they were all Wolford's recruits, but the Pelini guys made huge impacts yesterday.  Alexander, the linebackers etc.  Bodes well going forward.  We lost, but we showed toughness and heart and aggression.  MUCH more GOOD than bad IMO!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »
Boy are you guys tough on our kids!  My take on this was we played great,  Played hard to the very end, (which didn't happen under Wolford) and we got beat by a better team.  Pitt was stronger inside, bigger and faster outside.  They couldn't stop Stubbs last time we played, couldn't stop him this time either.  They also couldn't stop Webb.  They are going to give up a LOT of points to D-1 schools.  Somebody ripped me Friday for complementing the 2 deep depth chart because they were all Wolford's recruits, but the Pelini guys made huge impacts yesterday.  Alexander, the linebackers etc.  Bodes well going forward.  We lost, but we showed toughness and heart and aggression.  MUCH more GOOD than bad IMO!

So you didnt watch the game at all then. Webb was shut down easy outside of 2 runs. Stubbs did nothing outside of 1 catch. Rivers was our best defensive player with 4 sacks, a wolford guy.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »

So you didnt watch the game at all then. Webb was shut down easy outside of 2 runs. Stubbs did nothing outside of 1 catch. Rivers was our best defensive player with 4 sacks, a wolford guy.

And the safety is a STUD.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
Relax...Pitt is "Big 5" its not like we played a MAC team.

You simply cannot compare their athletes and depth. Be happy you got 37 and they played very conservatively.

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »
Relax...Pitt is "Big 5" its not like we played a MAC team.

You simply cannot compare their athletes and depth. Be happy you got 37 and they played very conservatively.

its also not like we played Ohio State either. we played an Indiana/Illinois level team.  They got 37 when 13 of that came on defense and special team. Whoop de doo

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »

I agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »
For clarification, our defense only recorded two sacks. Derek rivers and terrell williams each had one sack. Also, we were +3 in the turnover margin.

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »
For clarification, our defense only recorded two sacks. Derek rivers and terrell williams each had one sack. Also, we were +3 in the turnover margin.

Yeah thats not true because Rivers had at least 3 of his own.  you should use facts

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 10:24:15 PM »

Yeah thats not true because Rivers had at least 3 of his own.  you should use facts

Dude, please....you're very new to the forum.  Before you continue to call people out....do YOUR homework.  YO Show was right.  Please read below, these are the FACTS based on the YSU website.   Rivers also had 2 tackles for loss, which ARE NOT sacks.  Did you say you played???  SMH!!!!

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/boxscores/20150905_ygbz.xml
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:26:39 PM by SoupCity »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 11:01:18 PM »
YSUFB93, it was nothing against you personally, I just wanted to mention this because I saw your number and I figured you didn't realize you were mistaken. For the record, I would never minimize stats obtained by any player, YSU or otherwise. That is just disrespectful to the athlete. Rivers certainly was a big impact player for YSU against Pitt, but he didn't have as many sacks as you were claiming is all.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
It's always great when someone who is wrong admonishes someone else about being factual. Sigh.