Author Topic: Youngstown St. 2015 Football (Prediction and Expectations)  (Read 12101 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Youngstown St. 2015 Football (Prediction and Expectations)
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
Okay guys fire away!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Youngstown St. 2015 Football (Prediction and Expectations)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
Okay guys fire away!

We will lose 4 games with glaring special teams issues. 

Actually I think we will lose to Pitt and split NDSU or Illinois State.  Hopefully special teams come along as the year rolls on.  We shouldn't need them to win games outside of Pitt until conference play.

Playoffs tho year and the schedule sets up for it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:51:27 AM by penguinpower »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:30:24 AM »
Okay guys fire away!

We will lose 4 games with glaring special teams issues. 

This is my area of biggest concern too...

3 losses though and playoffs

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »
I am thinking we will have 4 losses.  I am not predicting playoffs.  I want to see us play a full 60 minutes.  I want to see the fan base increase.  I want the Pelini teams to defend our house and play physical in your face D.  This is a learning curve year regardless what talent was here.  I want a football program built not a quick fix.  Yes Pelini did bring in some baggage but We needed talent and depth on D.  I think he realized that and this will supplement the recruiting process to start building the D.  I also expect to see more leadership from the upperclassmen which Wolford destroyed when he coached here. I hope Wells improves its a shame they stole his RS yr.  But if we can improve the D and run the ball like we should he won't have to carry the load.  I see good things ahead.  We have a proven winner at HC and I think this coaching staff has the attention of the players. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
Coming in and prediciting 4 losses is definitely the more likely safe way to go. However, I'm going to predict 3 losses or less. I may be wrong, but just have a good feeling about it.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
5-3 in the conference is "doable."  The schedule is most favorable with NDSU and Illinois State coming here.  As does SDSU which won't be the same without Zenner, a once-in-a-lifetime player for that program.  We should be favored in all four league road games, but we probably won't get them all.  7-4 with a winning record in the MVFC should qualify for the playoffs.

I think that YSUGO just nailed it.  Pelini must rebuild the Tressel culture that featured all-out effort for 60 minutes every week and aggressive defense.  My biggest worry is that the quitters that Wolford brought here do not resurface at the first sign of adversity.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
Four losses:  Pitt, ISUr, NDSU, and either SIU or WIU. 

The gap between YSU and the MVFC elite is too big to close in one off-season.  I think the schedule this year is unfavorable in that other mid-pack MVFC games are nearly all on the road.

No playoffs.....because of MVFC losses.....nearly any other FCS conference we'd run wild and either get the auto-bid or an at-large.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »
I agree with penguin power on the risk of losses because of the special team issues. I just hope it doesn't happen in the 4 game stretch following the Illinois St. game..we need those games. I still think the opener at Pitt and the final game at Indiana st. could be the 2 most important on the schedule. The possibility of splitting the Illinois st. and North Dakota St. does exist. 7-4 isn't out of the question

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »
Special teams is gonna be an issue this year. Will have to work through some things, but I think we think to lose to Pitt to start out. Also lose to NDSU and ISU. Playoff bound this year.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »
8-3 L's to Pitt, NDSU and ISU (r)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
We can beat ISUr.  We should have beaten them last year.  I think we get one of the two superpowers.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 12:17:03 PM »
A more aggressive defense and improved secondary will stop the Guins run of finishing towards the bottom of the forced turnover category.  I'm thinking 8-3, 7-4 at worst, and a playoff berth either way.  There's another at-large bid this year, with the MEAC foregoing the playoffs, so I believe the Valley will have at least 4 teams in the playoffs and possibly 5 again.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
I see 7-4. As mentioned, special teams looks weak  and I still believe there  is a QB problem here as he got away with lots of dropped INTs that he threw into the defender's numbers for what should have been easy catches. Several games would have been losses had those INTs not been dropped . Until he loses that tendency   to put it up for grabs or hurrying his passes, some games will be just one INT away from a loss.  Run game should be good and the D looks to be improved. Plus, despite the local hype, Pelini still has a track record of not beating ranked teams but winning the gimmes and lower ranked teams . So coaching will get a good look this year as YSU has a similar Nebraska type schedule. Playoffs are problematic

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 08:21:59 PM »
At the risk of being in exile - I agree with paladin.
Aside from talent, Pelini and company are going to have to convince these young men
that they CAN win and prevent the GIVE UP attitude that infected most of Wolford's teams.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
I have a better feeling this year. Instead of watching the team self-destruct in the 4th Q in some of the games the pass couple of years, I believe the defense will be vastly improved.

I am more optimistic the team will finally make the playoffs and have a 8-3 record.

Can we beat Pitt? Maybe with a couple interceptions and fumbles.

GO PENGUINS!!