Author Topic: Almost happened: TOSU vs. YSU in 2015  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Almost happened: TOSU vs. YSU in 2015
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »
Playing the defending National Champions of both the FCS and FBS in the same season would have made for a fun 2015 schedule.  At least we net $750K for our money game.  This would not have been a 43-0 shutout either, with a BIG HC leading a competitive team from the MVFC.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2015/8/13/9148007/ohio-state-football-schedule-ysu-2015
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Almost happened: TOSU vs. YSU in 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »
Playing the defending National Champions of both the FCS and FBS in the same season would have made for a fun 2015 schedule.  At least we net $750K for our money game.  This would not have been a 43-0 shutout either, with a BIG HC leading a competitive team from the MVFC.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2015/8/13/9148007/ohio-state-football-schedule-ysu-2015

Interesting information... However, I am not sure I agree with their assessment that Western Michigan is a stronger opponent to TOSU than the Penguins.

Go Penguins.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 04:04:44 PM »
Good point.  Massey Gives WMU a 1% chance of beating TOSU and rightfully predicts a blowout.  In D1, WMU is barely ranked over YSU (94 vs 100).  Pitt is a far more formidable opponent than WMU, FWIW.

I wish I knew the story behind the story.  Seems like a marginal increase in SOS, especially if one ignores the fact that the MVFC is >> MAC.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11590
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 04:16:27 PM »
Everybody knew this was on the schedule. The real story is that OSU has agreed to pay us (the difference between the Pitt game and and the $750k) without having to file petitions against them. I believe Wisconsin and Illinois owe us as well.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:16:08 PM »
Good point.  Massey Gives WMU a 1% chance of beating TOSU and rightfully predicts a blowout.  In D1, WMU is barely ranked over YSU (94 vs 100).  Pitt is a far more formidable opponent than WMU, FWIW.

I wish I knew the story behind the story.  Seems like a marginal increase in SOS, especially if one ignores the fact that the MVFC is >> MAC.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11590

Agree! Although YSU AND WMU might almost be equal, the difference is the "story" between YSU and TOSU that will be absent.... The Trssel, Pellini, the YSU/TOSU connections, the FBS/FCS Champs.....as mentioned in articles. It makes a wonderful story. What story can be told between TOSU and WMU?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 10:33:05 PM »
What story can be told between TOSU and WMU?

That the score was tied very, very early in the game.   :D

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 11:09:20 PM »
Woulda been nice. At least were getting paid without having to actually play them ;)