Author Topic: Fall Practice Updates  (Read 51895 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Fall Practice Updates
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
Monty is still the best coach we have ...NO exceptions. Personal opinion of course.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »
Excited to see what the former Nebraska players can do. They seem to be stepping up big time in practice. LeRoy is the starter at safety along with Jameel. Moss is gonna be a great edge rusher for us. Excited about the defense as a whole.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
Monty is still the best coach we have ...NO exceptions. Personal opinion of course.

LOL opinions are like bungholes everybody has one!! Don't quit your day job to use your football knowledge for a new endeavor  ::)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »
Some very interesting tweets from Joe Scalzo concerning the depth charts..Definitely a few surprises there

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2015, 02:01:37 PM »
Absolutely! I feel for Jalyn Powell. He transferred while getting (some) playing time at Michigan State. He comes here and doesn't make the two deep! I have a feeling this is a telling sign of how much improved the secondary will be this year, and the overall depth our defense has.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2015, 05:05:59 PM »
Absolutely! I feel for Jalyn Powell. He transferred while getting (some) playing time at Michigan State. He comes here and doesn't make the two deep! I have a feeling this is a telling sign of how much improved the secondary will be this year, and the overall depth our defense has.

Absolutely, my thinking as well.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2015, 09:51:05 PM »

Absolutely, my thinking as well.

Or he is high maintenance

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »
I have been very impressed by the way Pelini has handled his players from the moment he arrived on campus.  He ran off nobody, in sharp contrast to his predecessor.  He announced open competition for positions during spring ball and really meant it.  Now that competition has extended into fall practice, exactly as it should.  Everybody earns playing time; nothing is freely granted. 

For five years on the defensive side of the ball, we saw good athletes who could not or would not PLAY TOGETHER AS A UNIT.  I suspect that players that are more readily buying into his system are now sitting in comfortable positions on the depth chart.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:07:43 AM by Wick250 »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2015, 06:17:39 AM »
Since I haven't seen a practice I am not going to speculate on why Powell isn't in the 2 deep.  Let's see after week 3 or 4 where he is. 

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
I was surprised to see Cody Squiric ahead of Kromah on the depth chart. Obviously is doesn't mean too much at this point. I see a lot of rotating on the D-Line but Kromah has started every game the last 2 years. Squiric is a big, strong kid. Young though...

As scalzo stated, Dubem got surpassed although that could be because of injury but Lee Wright was always a guy I found interesting. Transfer from App State, pretty athletic kid. Jamar Pinnock is at the other LB spot. I watched his tape from JUCO. This kid can hit and tackle well. Like the moves Pelini is making on defense!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »
Saw this in the Vindy for those that care:

The band marched from Bliss Hall on Wick Avenue to the stadium. Payne said band enrollment is at 165 members, up by 35 from last year. - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/aug/30/marching-pride/#sthash.ufEC76Al.dpuf

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »
I was surprised to see Cody Squiric ahead of Kromah on the depth chart. Obviously is doesn't mean too much at this point. I see a lot of rotating on the D-Line but Kromah has started every game the last 2 years. Squiric is a big, strong kid. Young though...

As scalzo stated, Dubem got surpassed although that could be because of injury but Lee Wright was always a guy I found interesting. Transfer from App State, pretty athletic kid. Jamar Pinnock is at the other LB spot. I watched his tape from JUCO. This kid can hit and tackle well. Like the moves Pelini is making on defense!

If we want to compete for a championship the one's and two's need to be equal or provide equal results.  Perhaps he is balancing experience with ability and leadership so he has the right people on the field all the time.

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »
Something ive noticed is this new staff loves to recruit big WRs, we have 7 WRs 6'3 or 6'4 and 5 of them are freshman. Hopefully they have some speed too.

anyone know where i can find a depth chart?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »
One thing I also find interesting, the right and left guards are bigger than the right and left tackles! I recognize they were all the starters last year for their respective positions. But i thought the tackles should be bigger than the guards generally

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
One thing I also find interesting, the right and left guards are bigger than the right and left tackles! I recognize they were all the starters last year for their respective positions. But i thought the tackles should be bigger than the guards generally

You always want more beef in the middle. Outisde guys big yes, but need to be able to move well with the speed rushers now a days.